Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Wednesday Vignette: Scanning the horizon

Late Tuesday morning last week, I spent a couple of hours working in the garden before finally deciding I needed to take a break for breakfast.  Standing at the kitchen window, I scanned the horizon and noticed noticed an unusual cloud formation.  Actually, it wasn't the shape of the clouds but rather their color that was surprising.  Once I decided I wasn't imagining things, I grabbed my mobile phone and snapped a couple of shots, then followed up with my "good" camera.  I posted a photo on Instagram last week but I thought the photos I captured with my DSLR camera were better.

The effect is known as a "fire rainbow," although it's not technically a rainbow and doesn't have any relationship to fires.  In scientific terms, it's called a circumhorizontal arc.  It's created by ice crystals in high-level clouds like these wispy cirrus clouds when the sun is at a low angle.  It's most common in midsummer and more likely at some latitudes than others.  For example, one source I consulted stated that it is five to ten times more likely to be seen in Los Angeles than in London.

I don't know how long it was visible before I noticed it but it disappeared even before I mentioned it to my husband (but then I did take several photos before I hailed him)


I'm glad I got the cloud shots as there's no telling when or if I'll see such cloud special effects again.  Yesterday afternoon, sitting in my home office, another view caught me by surprise: a cruise ship sitting in port.  Under normal circumstances, that's a common sight during summer but this isn't a normal time.  I checked online and verified that ocean cruise ships are still not authorized to sail with passengers but a Port of Los Angeles site that lists all ships in port (as well as those scheduled for arrival or departure) showed me that the Norwegian Jewel arrived shortly before I noticed it.

I decided to try my telephoto lens for this shot.  It delivered a much clearer view of the ship than my usual shots from the back garden.


The ship is scheduled to be in port for less than ten hours so I assume they're just picking up supplies.  The ships were placed under a 100-day "no sail order" on March 14th.  This was extended once through July 24th but another extension is expected this week.  The Norwegian Cruise Line has apparently suspended passenger trips until at least October.  How weird it must be to sail the ocean without passengers for months at a time.  Talk about going crazy!  By comparison, even with the prospect of another shutdown here, we're pretty lucky.

Everything is relative.

For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. Those fire rainbow cloud colorations are fascinating! I've never even heard of such a thing before. Thanks for widening my awareness (if I ever were to happen upon this phenomenon myself).

    I kind of wish those big empty ships would make themselves useful by docking in coastal Covid hotspots and offer their spaces as extra beds for the steady streams of new patients. After all, they offer very little else, skirting every law and regulation they can think up. Check this out, and you'll see what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nCT8h8gO1g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Anna. I love Hasan Minhaj. His rundown is pretty damning, although sadly not surprising. My husband and I took our only ocean cruise when we were younger and more foolish and aren't personally tempted by the opportunity but Minhaj's summary does a good job of tying that decision up with a bow. I read an article in The Correspondent this morning about the environmental toll of air travel too, another enlightening piece.

      Delete
  2. Extraordinary clouds photographs! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got lucky and just happened to look out at the right time.

      Delete
  3. Those clouds are amazing. I have never heard about or seen such a thing. Seeing green in the sky like that is weird too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, for a moment I had to stop and ask myself if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing, Lisa. My first thought was that the colors might be residue from an airplane or something.

      Delete
  4. Awesome cloud moment. So great you spotted and photographed it!

    The no-sail order at this moment is extended through Sept. 15th. One wonders how much of the Covid-19 virus spread was due to cruise ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like planes, I personally consider cruise ships floating cesspools but I'm sympathetic to the plight of their crews. However, the link Anna included with her comment was enlightening, even with its comedic bent.

      Delete
  5. I did see that once. Only once. It was a Good Friday, and for a moment I saw three crosses. Since it dissolves as you watch, it does feel as if you are 'seeing things'. Never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I'll remember it too, Diana. It sounds like the effect is at least nominally more common in Los Angeles than other places so maybe, just maybe, I'll see it again one day.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful clouds and great shots. I don't think we see those here.

    There are reports of tens of thousands of crews stuck at sea. The reported number varies quite a bit from 40-100,000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel badly for those crews stuck far from home, especially under current circumstances.

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful clouds! I love Mare's Tails anyway, but to see a rainbow in them must have been an extra treat.
    Cruise ships are facing an uncertain future, that is for sure. Carnival announced it is scrapping 13 ships, and apparently the airlines are doing similar with older stock like 747s. Different times ahead, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After watching the video clip about the cruise ship industry Anna included with her comment and reading a piece in The Correspondent about the environmental costs of air travel, it might be best if both industries shrank but of course there are the impacts on people dependent upon those industries too.

      Delete
  8. Amazing shots of something I've never heard of or likely ever to see in my lifetime. You have fantastic views from your home and have likely seen everything under the sun. Thanks for sharing your unique photos with us. Too bad your hubby missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed him the photos but I suspect he'd have been more impressed had he seen it in person.

      Delete
  9. Love those cloud shots...magical!

    Being on a cruise ship, even in the best of times, has always sounded a little creepy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I did one ocean cruise 30+ years ago. We wouldn't do one again.

      Delete
  10. Those clouds remind me of the magical cartoon swirls on the My Little Pony show when my kids were younger. Alas, many of those cartoon images will be with me for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never seen My Little Pony except perhaps in commercials for toys...

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.