Monday, July 20, 2020

In a Vase on Monday: Another surprise!

Last week I said I wasn't sure what I might come up with for the next week's vases that might be different from what I'd already used this season as I didn't see any new blooms on the horizon.  Well, late last week I was surprised to see a naked lady in the garden!  Actually, at least seven of them have made an appearance thus far.  The lady is properly known as Amaryllis belladonna, not to be confused with Hippeastrum, which is commonly identified as Amaryllis but isn't actually part of that genus (although both are part of the Amaryllidaceae family).  There are only two species in the Amaryllis genus as it's currently construed and both of these plants are native to South Africa.

Amaryllis belladonna gets its common name from the fact that it blooms without any foliage.  My bulbs were a gift from a fellow blogger, Tammy of Casa Mariposa, who passed them along when she discovered that they weren't inclined to bloom in her Virginia garden.

Back view: I was also pleased to discover that my Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' had produced a few more stems studded with flowers

Top view: This arrangement was a little too tall to photograph overhead without a ladder

Clockwise from the upper left: Amaryllis belladonna, Abelia grandiflora 'Edward Goucher', Ammi majus 'Dara' in two tones, flowers of Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', foliage of the same plant, and Penstemon mexicali 'Mini Bells Red'


Another minor surprise arrived in the form of a lavender-flowered Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum).   Last year, I planted a 6-pack of what was labeled as Lisianthus 'Rosanne II Deep Brown'.  It subsequently bloomed in a mottled lavender color.  I'd intended to dig it up and move it but lost track of that task during our remodel upheaval last fall.  I'd forgotten it until it reappeared last week in a bed in which it stands out like a sore thumb.  I had no hesitancy about cutting it for another vase.

I kept this arrangement on the cool side by combining the blue and lavender flowers with the gray foliage of Centaurea 'Silver Feather'

Back view

In addition to the lavender Lisianthus, I used a stem of another blue-flowered variety, which isn't as dark as the variety I cut last week.  The silver foliage almost disappears against the background of our kitchen island.  

Clockwise from the upper left: Eustoma grandiflorum in lavender and blue, Ocimum basilicum ('Thai' and 'Purple Ruffles' basil), Lavandula angustifolia, Centaurea 'Silver Feather', Myrtus communis 'Compacta', and Salvia 'Pozo Blue'


There are buds on two of the 15 dahlia tubers that sprouted for me this year.  The rest are developing healthy foliage but I expect I still have a month or more to wait until I see many flowers.  Although it pained me to do so, I pinched back all my dahlias, sunflowers and zinnias to encourage branching.   You may see a succulent arrangement next week...

For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

25 comments:

  1. Two lovely vases Kris. I especially love the first one. Loose and lovely with some gorgeous flowers within!! And the second one is great - I think it might take flight on its silver feathers! Amanda https://therunningwave.blogspot.com/2020/07/thumbelinas-vase-on-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one is my personal favorite this week, Amanda, although I think the second photographed better.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Loree. Picking will be slim until my summer flowers finally get off the ground.

      Delete
  3. I love pure beauty of belladonna and it looks great with the dark Leptospermum foliage. And I esp. like the top view of the purple arrangement, the Lisianthus tucked in like little jewels and silver feathers off to the side– reminiscent of a feathered Belle Epoque headdress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe I should try making a headdress next week, Eliza.

      Delete
    2. All you need is one of those ceramic head vases. :)

      Delete
  4. Kris, love your Lisianthus studded vase. Gorgeous. And the naked lady is wonderful too. I think they bloom here but I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to read that Amaryllis belladonna can be hard to get to bloom outside of areas with Mediterranean climates, Susie. I thought the flowers were fairly common. However, they did take some time to settle in even here.

      Delete
  5. Candy pink nicely set off by burgundy foliage. Mine have at least made leaves this year, perhaps I will get flowers again next March?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine produced good foliage during the past two years, Diana, although they didn't bloom as much as it appears they're going to do this year.

      Delete
  6. I love the leptospermum foliage, I have never seen one like that before and fabulous amaryllis. I never realised that what I thought was wild carrot, Daucus is actually Ammi 'Dara'. I love it as I can't resist umbellifers. The second arrangement is beautiful too, I love those Silver Feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it flowers far more lightly than the more common Leptospermum scoparium, 'Copper Glow' has become my favorite plant in that genus based on its foliage alone. The smattering of flowers during the summer is a bonus.

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine you will ever run out of flowers to choose from. I'm convinced you're running a garden center on the side :) Lovely as always Kris. You're the only one I know who can keep their vases full all winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Actually, I've considered whether I should practice my (limited) skills in propagation by potting up some divisions and cuttings and offering them to neighbors, for free of course! ;)

      Delete
  8. All of the reds look good with the Naked Ladies. They smell so good too, actually a little overwhelming when inside. You always seem to have such lovely vases stuffed full of flowers. I didn't believe a word when you said you didn't think you would have anything for your vases. ha... what a tease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I look at my flower supply rationally, Lisa, I have to admit that I'm unlikely to run out of them altogether. It's just that I hate to repeat myself...

      Delete
  9. The vases are beautiful and I'm especially intrigued by the Leptospermum foliage, both the colour and whispiness. Oh, Tammy is such a sweetheart - love her so much! She's the one that got me hooked on zinnias and tithonia, when she sent me some seeds from her stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for Tammy to surface again and provide an update on her garden, don't you? Tammy, if you're listening, that's a gentle prod...

      Delete
  10. Beautiful displays! I'm still waiting (and hoping) for a few of my dahlias to come through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I inspect my dahlias almost daily (!) for buds, Nikki. So far, with the exception of two plants, all seem to be just producing more leaves.

      Delete
  11. Lovely! I especially love that silver foliage with the lavender colours. You always find something new to use Kris, and it is never boring looking at the flowers you can grow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still eager to see those dahlia blooms, Cathy! ;)

      Delete
  12. Fabulous vases as always Kris. I do like your ' Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' '. I wonder if it would grow over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with 'Copper Glow' here is its excessive exuberance, Anna. I have to cut it back regularly just to ensure I can squeeze around it.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.