Monday, May 25, 2020

In a Vase on Monday: Spoiled for choice

Despite heatwaves in late April and early May, I still have a supply of what are considered cool-season blooms here even as my summer bloomers have begun to appear.  Overwhelmed with choices, I tend to go overboard with floral arrangements.  I had Matilija poppies on my mind when I stepped into the garden yesterday but, when I trooped down to the bottom of the slope, I discovered there were no open blooms available at the moment.  Easily distracted, I started deadheading spent Centranthus blooms and ended up cutting several pink and white flower stems even though a pink arrangement wasn't something I'd consciously planned.

Luckily, the unexpected rain we got last week had prompted new blooms from the pink Alstroemerias, which pair well with pink and white Centranthus

Back view: I used the dark foliage of Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' to ground the arrangement

Top view: I added three of the shaggy Shasta daisies (Lecanthemum x superbum) that just started their annual bloom cycle
Clockwise from the upper left: noID pink Alstroemeria, Centranthus ruber, Dorycnium hirsutum (aka hairy Canary clover), Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Lathyrus odoratus, Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' and, in the middle, noID 'Leucanthemum x superbum



Cutting a few stems of Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' led to the creation of an arrangement with orange and yellow flowers.

While the Cuphea provided the impetus for this arrangement, Leucospermum 'Brandi', now waning, provided the focal point

Back view: The unusual red stems with green calyces are Sideritis cypria, which produces tiny yellow flowers inside the green cups

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', Hymenolepsis parviflora, Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'', Sideritis cypria, Lobelia laxiflora and, in the middle, Leucospermum 'Brandi'


With more heat on the way this week, Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach' begged to be cut before its blooms were scorched.

This arrangement was a little too restrained in terms of the color mix, even by my standards, so I added the Achillea 'Moonshine' to give it a bit more energy

Back view:  I wouldn't normally include the Nigella stems I threw into this vase but Dahlia 'Gitt's Crazy' has sprouted and is already demanding more room so some of the Nigella stems had to be pulled

Top view

Top row: Achillea 'Moonshine', Alstroemeria 'Claire' and A. 'Inca Husky'
Middle row: Calendula 'Zeolights', Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach', and Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream'
Bottom row: Leucadendron 'Jester', Nigella papillosa, and Orlaya grandiflora


Many of my dahlia tubers have sprouted and I've sown some sunflower and zinnia seeds so there's pressure to clear out the fading cool-season blooms to make room for summer flowers in my cutting garden.  The sweet peas will probably be the first to go.  They took a hit during our two heatwaves and haven't been able to rebound.

For more IAVOM creations, visit our bandleader, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

23 comments:

  1. Naturally I love the orange arrangement, and that Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' is such the perfect "filler"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leptospermum has gone crazy this year - I swear it grew yet another foot following last week's rain! I should see if I can start my own pandemic business offering cut stems to local florists at a good price.

      Delete
  2. Three more beautiful and varied vases Kris! So lovely I don't know where to start, but I will say I am intrigued by the nigella flower! I have never seen one in that colour scheme before. It's very complex and very striking!! I love that vase - beautiful soft colours, and of course another delicious foxglove! All beautiful - thank you very much! Amanda https://therunningwave.blogspot.com/2020/05/i-gathered-lilacs-for-my-vase-on-monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nigella was part of a seed mix called 'Starry Night' but I think the white-flowered variety is 'African Bride', a really striking plant.

      Delete
  3. Overtime I notice you do multiple arrangement for Monday's meme! The abundance of flowers you plant probably allows for it, if not demands it. I can't begin to comprehend the level of extra work that goes into caring for all of them, but totally get the pleasure of creating a flower arrangement, love all three. Nigella papilloma is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm afraid I've become well known for going overboard when it comes to the weekly floral arrangements. I usually struggle with creating arrangements toward the latter part of summer into early fall, when we're thoroughly parched and the flower supply has quite literally dried up; however, in recent years, dahlias and zinnias have made a difference even then.

      Delete
    2. Not overboard; rather enthusiastic and exuberant!
      :-D

      Delete
  4. You? Go overboard with floral arrangements? Never!!

    I particularly like your first vase today - the foliage of the leptospermum picks out the markings on the vase wonderfully and pulls everything together. It works so well and the end result looks so relaxed and natural

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cathy. Even I think I'm quite obnoxious at times. Is it a defense to say I can't help myself?

      Delete
  5. Oranges and yellows. Yummy. I know people who refuse to have either of these colours in their gardens. They don't know what they are missing. Gotta love have so many choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before moving to our current location, I too avoided oranges and reds. They were too vivid for my former tiny and very shady garden. They fit this open, sunny, and very warm garden, though!

      Delete
  6. I love the shades of pink in vase number one, and those oranges and greens in the second vase are so striking! The shape of all your vases this week is also impressive. I tend to plonk my flowers rather than arrange them but your vases are inspiring me to try a different approach! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I admire it greatly, I struggle with the Ikebana-type arrangement garden bloggers like Susie are so great at. I'm also something of a plonker but I dither a bit as I plonk!

      Delete
  7. I have been going through an orange period lately. I am liking everything orange. Beautiful vases all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange is a happy color I think, Lisa. It fits hot, dry summer conditions.

      Delete
  8. A fine three this week, Kris! Stand-outs are L. 'Brandi', the very interesting Sideritis, and the cool Nigella– I love the white with the dark stamens/seed heads. The peach and yellow vase is esp. superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Nigella has proven to grow more easily from seed than it was when I bought nursery-started plants. I wish I had more Sideritis. Mine got scruffy last year and I didn't manage to coax some of them back. I've only found them by mail-order and I've had myself on a wait list for more plants for several months.

      Delete
  9. Three superb vases, and many thanks for sharing them Kris. I usually have a session of learning more about your exotic flowers, but limit myself each week to just one or two, or else, I would be on line forever, and I only have a small garden in a temperate climate. My plant of choice this week is the Sideritis, and I am just wondering if it might be worth a go here. I shall have to grow it from seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sideritis is an interesting plant, Noelle. I should look into seed myself as getting hold of additional plants hasn't been easy here either.

      Delete
  10. I can never get over how much variety you have in your garden. The calendula 'Zeolights' really struck me. Our calendulas self-seed like crazy around here (a good think in this case!). Is that one also a self-seeder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although I just had one Calendula seedling appear in the half-barrel I grew them in so I added more seeds. I grow other plants in the same barrel over the course of the year, which complicates matters.

      Delete
  11. All beautiful Kris. I love that nigella and the peachy arrangement. Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach' is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nigella is a winner. It's probably going to be on my annual planting list (pun acknowledged).

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.