Monday, December 9, 2019

In a Vase on Monday: Begging the Hummingbirds' Forgiveness

It's rained off and on for more than 2 weeks now (yay!) but that's left the limited flowers I have left looking rather disheveled.  My inspiration for this week's vase was the ribbon bush I've finally managed to establish in my garden.  Although its flowers were well past their peak, I still felt a twinge of guilt cutting the best looking stem because the hummingbirds have claimed the shrub as their own.

I added stems of Vitex trifolia because the undersides of its leaves are a lovely purple color.  The lavender Lisianthus, planted last May, was supposed to be a brownish red but it clearly isn't that.

Back view: I'm hoping the drooping Vitex leaves recover with a little more time in water.  I realize they look sad in this photograph.  They've perked up a bit since I took it.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Argyranthemum frutescens 'Everest', mislabeled lavender Eustoma grandiflorum (Lisianthus), another mostly white Lisianthus, Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy' (recycled from one of last week's vases), Polygala fruticosa 'Petite Butterfly', Vitex trifolia, Hemizygia 'Candy Kisses' and, in the center, Hypoestes aristata (aka ribbon bush)


The brightly colored foliage of the 'Fuyu' persimmon grabs my attention every time I walk through my garden so I cut a couple of stems and paired it with berries for an impromptu second vase.

I paired the persimmon leaves (Diospyros kaki 'Fuyu') with berries of Auranticarpa rhombifolium


While the Grevillea flowers in last week's vase didn't hold up well against the power of our new heating system, the rest of the contents of the vase did so I cleaned it up and moved it to the dining table, which is finally clear of debris.

The flowers of the lovely Amaryllis (Hippeastrum 'Zombie') have lifted their pretty heads a bit since last week


Meanwhile, the new vase moved to the table in the front entry.



For more IAVOM creations, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


All material © 2012-2019 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

27 comments:

  1. What an intersting shade those vitex stems are, and the whole vase has a 'parma violet' look to it. The colours in the second vase work so well in your little cactus pot but now I am off to look at your vase from last week as I think I must have missed it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purplish color mix doesn't match my notion of a year-end holiday mix but Mother Nature doesn't march to anyone's schedule but her own.

      Delete
  2. The upper side and stem of the Vitex trifolia are also purple, just darker than the glaucous-pastel underside. Is it purple all year, or does it turn color with cooler temperatures?
    Happy for you with the good winter rains so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As so often, San Marcos Growers answers all my questions and more: https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=4015

      Delete
    2. San Marcos Growers are my go-to resource on plant questions too, Nell. The lovely combination of dark green and purple in the leaves reminds me of my favorite dress as a child, which had a sash mixing those same 2 colors. It's the only dress from that era I have a very specific recollection of (except for the horrid one I'm shown wearing in the "About Me" section of this blog, which I remember only because of the photo).

      Delete
  3. Oooh, is your Fuyu persimmon tree bearing fruit? The grocery store has had them this fall for the first time, and I've been feasting. The fruits on a dish are an arrangement just by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the fruit on the 'Fuyu' persimmon was consumed by greedy squirrels but we actually got to eat some left behind on the 'Hachiya' persimmon this year.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for the rain. For you anyway. We actually had a couple of days when it didn't rain but there is standing water on many of the roads here and the fields are saturated so no-where for it to go. Beautiful unusual shades in your vase and gorgeous autumn colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a good start to our limited rainy season, which generally runs from October or November through the end of March, although I wish the storms we've had thus far had been spread out a bit more. Overall, Southern California is supposed to be drier this season. We never know when a rainstorm will be our last so we celebrate all of them.

      Delete
  5. I love your purples today and hope the hummingbirds have forgiven you Kris. The persimmon/berries vase is fresh and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the long run, I'm hoping that cutting back the raggedy Hypoestes blooms will prompt new ones to make the hummingbirds happy, Susie.

      Delete
  6. Love the persimmon arrangement and the simplicity of it. Just perfect! And of course, you know I love the soft pastel arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been hard to ignore those pretty persimmon leaves, Cindy. That one tree provides the best fall color of anything in my garden. The leaves on the other persimmon (a different cultivar) never create the same kind of show.

      Delete
  7. I just sit here and drool over your vases full of blooms. As you know it is dark grey and cold here. No flowers at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's dark and cold there, Lisa! We considered it particularly cold here last week (below 60F!) but you probably would have thought it was downright balmy.

      Delete
  8. I love your purple vase but the persimmon leaves and the orange berries blew my socks off! Fabulous colours!! Amanda
    https://therunningwave.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-simplest-of-vases-on-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those persimmon leaves won't last long but they were worth showing off while they were available, Amanda.

      Delete
  9. I love that Vitex aand love your fall creation, how interesting you havve Polygalas ther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polygala fruticosa is a self-seeding demon here, Amelia. I'm pricking out its tiny seedlings constantly.

      Delete
  10. It's amazing how Lisianthus looks like roses. They fool me at first glance every time. Pretty pinks, love the orange in the green vase, nice combo, and the double Hippeastrum has opened beautifully.
    So glad you are getting ample rain. Your garden must be loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The double-petaled Lisianthus are gorgeous, Eliza - and more drought-tolerant than roses. I just wish growers were a little better at identifying which colors are which! The rain has been wonderful and the garden is happy. My irrigation system has been off since the first storm and all 3 of my rain barrels are completely full.

      Delete
  11. Love all you vases Kris! I think I must have missed your post last week - the Amaryllis is gorgeous. Do you have hummingbirds in winter too where you are? And does your persimmon bear fruit? Its foliage is very pretty. Glad you are getting some decent rain at last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One species of hummingbird (Anna's) is here year-round, Cathy, and others migrate through here. They can get very testy if you mess with "their" flowers! Both our persimmon trees bear fruit but the squirrels and raccoons take most of them before they're even close to ripe.

      Delete
  12. I'm such a sucker for simple arrangements, I love the Hippeastrum 'Zombie' and the persimmon leaves and berries vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like 'Zombie's' a winner, Loree. Each bulb is producing 2-3 stalks.

      Delete
  13. The kaki leaves in the cactus vase set each other off to perfection

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.