Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Wild & Weedy Wednesday: Wanna-be weeds

I'm dealing with more weeds in my garden this year than I can ever remember.  I haven't made a dent in what's out there.  Summer's heat may fry some of them once our marine layer lets go of the coastal area but in the meantime I'm trying to remove all those working to set seed as best I can.  Among the true weeds are an ample number of plants I'm calling wanna-be weeds.  I haven't had many rampant self-seeders in the past, possibly because drought conditions kept the plants inclined to that under control.  This year is different.  I'm joining Cathy at Words and Herbs for another edition of her Wild and Weedy Wednesday meme.

The prime culprit is Daucus carota 'Dara', commonly known as wild carrot.  I sowed one packet of seeds in the fall of 2020 and haven't sown any since.  When the plants first appeared in 2021, I'd forgotten all about them and initially feared that I had poison hemlock growing in the garden.  The flowers are lovely and I've cut them numerous times to fill vases.  As the flowers grow smaller, I pull the plants up with their deep taproots intact.  The self-seeded plants returned in the same general area in 2022 and 2023.  This year, following a second year of heavier-than-usual rain, they've not only returned in increased numbers, they've spread to other areas of the garden as well.

Although I pulled some large "seedlings" from this area several weeks ago, I didn't realize that this one was flowering until I tried to walk through this narrow footpath behind my back border on Sunday.  I ended up cutting numerous flowers for an IAVOM arrangement.  I don't want to see a lot of seedlings taking over the path next year, or worse yet spreading to the slope beyond the hedge.

Here's what I saw from the front of the border when I thought the blooms had only just gotten started

I've discovered seedlings in various parts of the back garden, including the 3 shown here, which planted themselves in between flagstones

I've pulled the majority of the plants I've come across from other parts of the garden.  I discovered this one on the south-side of the house when I was thinning the Mexican feather grass (Nassella tenuissima, another rampant self-seeder).  I let it stay but I'm a little afraid I'll regret that decision later.


I planted a single four-inch pot of Cotula lineariloba (aka big yellow moon and brass buttons) in 2014.  After it took over a large area, I pulled it out, or at least thought I had.  When it showed up again in discrete patches following a period of drought, I added three plants in 2022.  Well, it's returned to its weedy ways.

Boosted by the rain, seedlings like the one on the left have popped up in between flagstones in the back garden.  It's also extended the space it occupies in the bed surrounding our backyard fountain (right), climbing around - and over - Gazanias and other plants.


I planted Gaura lindheimeri (aka bee blossom, and now apparently classified as Oenothera lindheimeri) in or around 2014.  It's spread itself around ever since, albeit mostly in adjacent areas.  My only complaint about it is that the plants are difficult to impossible to eradicate once established.

Oenothera lindheimeri is almost as weedy as its cousin, Oenothera speciosa.  Both have pretty flowers, though.


I sowed seeds of Lagurus ovatus (aka bunny tail grass) in one small area on the south side of the house about four years ago.  I've been delighted with the flowers, which live up to their common name.  I've used them in many vases, including dry arrangements where they last for years.  They moved around a bit during the following years but this year they've spread more widely.

They look lovely in the area shown above but they've crept eastward into my south-side succulent bed this year.  I pull them out as I find them but I'm guessing that trend may continue.


Finally, there's Polygala myrtifolia (aka sweet pea bush).  It's a tough plant and I've used it in both my front and back gardens.  It self-seeded in bit in both areas in prior years but it's gone to town this year.

Its seedlings start out small but quickly form clumps.  I'd entirely missed these little clumps until I started taking photos this week.  They'd taken over a narrow area between an ornamental grass (Festuca californica) and a shrub (Pittosporum tobira 'Variegata').

These photos show clumps of Polygala myrtifolia in the back (left) and front (right) gardens.  Most or all of those in these photos seeded themselves there over the past year.  (A few pink evening primrose, Oenothera speciosa, have snuck into the area shown on the right.)


Do you have any rampant self-seeders?  If so, do you treat them as gifts or nuisances?

For more wildflowers, including weedy types, visit Cathy at Words and Herbs.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party 

14 comments:

  1. The gift of rain can be a double edge sword especially in areas that's aren't used to an extended rainy season. It appears as though some seeds were just sitting around your garden waiting for an opportunity to germinate.
    In my early gardening days I wasn't as aware of thugs, but I'm extra cautious these days.
    Gaura is difficult for me to keep alive (I just picked my 4th attempt at a local nurser), so it's ironic to know it reseeds in your garden.
    I love Mexican feather grass... but not in my garden (any longer).
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've slowly been removing my Mexican feather grass, although I still have plenty spreading itself around, Chavli. It is a pretty thing blowing in the wind (as it spreads its seeds further and further...). I used to read posts of bloggers who commented on their prolific self-seeders and wondered why I didn't see that in my own garden - it seems that all it took was a little extra rain.

      Delete
  2. I planted a Gaura lindheimeri years ago. Friends immediately warned me that it would take over my front garden if I left it, so I didn't. I wonder though if their warnings were valid as nothing much reseeds out there. I did recently notice that Galium odoratum (sweet woodruff, it hitchhiked in with a plant I brought from my Spokane garden) has finally--19 years later--found a spot it likes and is getting rambunctious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd known that Gaura had been reclassified as Oenothera, I might have been more cautious, Loree. However, by comparison to the pink evening primrose, Centaurea (not featured in this post), and Daucus, it's relatively tame.

      Delete
  3. It is interesting that the Daucus carota is so successful in your climate! The flower heads are easy to see, but the substantial foliage seems to blend in to the background! The wild white ones here have never posed a problem. Gaura is not a problem here either, even though the pink ones reseed here like mad. The white ones are a bit more reserved. But if I catch them when small I can pull them out. One of my most successful self-seeders this year is a dirty white Nigella. Such a shame they aren't all blue! I will have to dead head them or even pull them up. Like you, we have had more rain than usual which will no doubt encourage a lot more weeds to appear in the next few weeks. Happy weeding Kris! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tackling my weeds a little at a time but, even so, with lots of that as well as pruning to do, my wrists are aching! I'm guessing the "dirty" white Nigella is N. damascena? You might want to try the white Nigella papillosa (commonly sold as 'African Bride'), which I think is more striking.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the warning on those! I've got a Gaura in the gully and one in the shade of the Oak--shade seems to control it. The rest of yours I was too timid to try, thankfully.

    The weeds here this year are truly weeds, various thistles that resemble tall dandelions, some with nasty prickles. Ow! to pull. The one more ornamental plant is a native Lupine, L. succulentus. I don't mind it but it hides the "truly" weeds long enough to let them reseed, which is how so many of those sprouted this year.

    Most of the garden is thickly mulched enough to stay weed free but the west slope is very bad and I still don't yet have the agility to get up there and pull the mess. Thinking I need to hire the job out and soon.

    Drought or weeds...drought or weeds...drought or weeds...I think I'll still glaldly take the weeds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I tried Lupinus succulentus without success but, given your experience, maybe I should try it again here. I need to spread more mulch here before temperatures soar here. Between pruning, weeding, and planting summer bloomers, there's so much to do but mulch does pay dividends. I agree with you that rain is much preferred to drought - the advantages of drought are woefully limited.

      Delete
  5. I planted gaura last year and notice it was feeling a little too comfortable at the party. Dang it on big yellow moon, I'll pull mine. It's cute but kinda weedy looking and I don't need it everywhere. I've had a sweet pea that was very polite, and another that was a horrible re-seeder. Good luck, that pathway looks a lot like mine did. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we're in for a drier "water year" in 2025, the rampant spread of some of these plants may settle down, although the remaining question is: how long can the dormant seeds survive? The climate scientists contend that California will continue to experience shifts between extended periods of drought and periodic flooding related to atmospheric rivers :( I guess that keeps us on our toes!

      Delete
  6. Thanks to impatience with drought restrictions and gophers, I've opted for the Kurt Wilkinson method -some tight pruning and gorgeous succulents then let the rest mostly sort itself. I do knock down problematic invasives by chopping before they seed but I quit irrigation and hardly ever bother pulling weeds anymore *I do live well away from neighbors who might disapprove; the areas that my seeds blow into are strawberry fields that get tented in plastic and blasted with poison yearly so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate that approach! More of my garden gets transitioned to succulents with each passing year and I suspect that trend will continue.

      Delete
  7. After posting this I realized I was being disingenuous; I'm still constantly pulling stuff out of containers, paths, and the veg. Would've been more accurate to say pulling is no longer my primary method of weed control. Love that it's never to late to change our approach to gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine more of my own gardening practices will continue to change as my body starts to object to the demands I put on it in service to my garden ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.