Friday, June 14, 2024

Bloom Day - June 2024 (Early Edition)

I got a new camera earlier this month and started taking photos to test it out.  Many of those photos ended up in this post for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, a monthly event hosted by Carol of May Dreams Gardens.  With our morning marine layer still firmly in place, heat hasn't had any effect on the flower power of my garden so there's still a lot of color even though some of my summer bloomers, like the lilies, seem stuck in suspended animation.  Reverting to my old format, I'm starting with the garden's stars this June.

Achillea 'Moonshine', leading the summer parade of flowers as usual

The blue Agapanthus that came with the garden started flowering weeks ago but the white ones are only just getting making an appearance

I finally managed a decent shot of the flowers of Arthropodium cirratum (aka Renga lilies)

This Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) on the back slope also came with the garden

Centaurea 'Silver Feather' has sprawled all over the place but the flowers are pretty

Dorycnium hirsutum (aka hairy Canary flower, syn Lotus hirsutus) is demure but prolific

Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles' was looking terrible at the end of last summer.  I removed a dead section and it's looking pretty again, at least for now.

Hymenolepis crithmifolia (aka Coulter bush, syn H. parviflora)

The first flowers of our Magnolia grandiflora sit at the top of the tree but the new phone nevertheless captured these without a special lens

Tagetes lemmonii (aka Mexican marigold)


Of course, I can't ignore the genera that are the backbones of my garden.  (Note: All cultivars are listed clockwise from the upper left unless otherwise noted.)

Alstroemeria: 'Claire', 'Inca Husky', 'Inca Lucky', 'Inca Sundance', 'Inca Vienna', 'Indian Summer', and noID pink variety

Left to right: Arctotis 'Large Marge' and 'Pink Sugar'

Cuphea: 'Honeybells', 'Vermillionaire', and 'Starfire Pink' (latter in wide and close-up shots)

Gaillardia (aka blanket flowers): 'Arizona Sun', 'Mesa Bright Bicolor', and 'Spin Top Copper Sun'

Gazania rigens: 'Yellow Flame', noID orange, 'Otomi', noID red-orange, 'White Flame', and 'New Day Yellow'

The large-flowered Grevillea'Moonlight', 'Peaches & Cream', and 'Superb' (latter in close-up and wide shots)

The small-flowered GrevilleaG. alpina x rosmarinifolia, G. 'Poorinda Leane', G. sericea, and G. 'Scarlet Sprite'

Hemerocallis: 'For Pete's Sake', 'Persian Market', 'Space Coast Sea Shells', 'Strawberry Candy', and 'Spanish Harlem'

Leucospermum: 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi' (both top shots), 'High Gold', and 'Spider Hybrid'

Osteospermum: '4D Pink', 'Coral Magic', 'Double Moonglow', and 'Purple Spoon'

Pelargonium: Top - P. hortorum 'Dynamo Hot Pink', P. hybrid 'Orange Fizz', and P. hybrid 'White Lady'
Middle: P. peltatum 'Dark Pink' and 'Burgundy'
Bottom: P. peltatum 'Pink Blizzard' and P. peltatum hybrid 'Flamingo Pink'

Salvia: S. canariensis var candidissima, S. discolor, S. lanceolata, S. clevelandii 'Winnifred Gilman' (in wide and closeup shots), and S. 'Mystic Spires'



There were a few surprises.

Hippeastrum getting a late start: noID variety and 'Dancing Queen'

This is Phormium 'Apricot Queen', which has never bloomed before.  Only one other of my Phormiums has ever bloomed but I've noticed there are flower stalks on Phormiums all over the neighborhood, presumably the result of 2 years of good rain.

Sollya heterophylla (aka bluebell creeper) is finally developing a presence in my back garden

Other unexpected blooms included: Echium gentianoides 'Tajinaste' (I'd forgotten the plant entirely), a barrel full of Nemesia and Violas (which I'd thought would be gone by now), Thymus serpyllum 'Elfin' (blooming plentifully here but nowhere else as yet), and the first flowers of Feijoa sellowiana (aka pineapple guava)


I discovered an even bigger surprise late yesterday afternoon as I was finalizing this post.

Iris germanica 'Gypsy Lord' had produced a single bloom in late May but it faded quickly and had shown no signs of producing more




I've collapsed the best of the rest into color collages.

Blue flowers include: Anchusa capensis 'Blue Angel', Campanula portenschlagiana, Iris douglasiana 'Santa Lucia', Lavandula dentata, Limonium perezii, Polygala myrtifolia, noID Scaevola, and Wahlenbergia 'Blue Cloud'

White flowers include: Acanthus mollis, Fuchsia 'Windchimes White', Agonis flexuosa, Pandorea jasminoides, and Trachelospermum jasminoides

Pink flowers include: Argyranthemum frutescens 'Comet Pink', Centranthus ruber, Cistus 'Sunset', Digitalis purpurea, Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Lantana camara 'Irene', Oenothera speciosa, and Rosa 'Pink Meidiland'

Flowers in the yellow family: noID Calibrachoa, chartreuse Euphorbia 'Dean's Hybrid', Graptoveria 'Fred Ives', Lagurus ovatus (aka bunny tail grass), Lonicera japonica, and Santolina chamaecyparissus 'Nana'

Red flowers include: Daucus carota 'Dara', Fuchsia 'Voodoo', and Lobelia laxiflora



For more GBBD posts, check Carol's blog at May Dreams Gardens on the 15th of the month.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


28 comments:

  1. The photo of Sollya heterophylla stop me in my scrolling tracks! Those dainty blue bells hanging on dark stems are Oh So Pretty! When researching online, the name "Billardiera" popped up, a name I'm more familiar with: it has odd looking fruit that first drew my attention to this plant. Something to look forward to.
    Is Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite' the one always getting in your way at the side of the house? (its still my favorite :-D)
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Billardiera link, Chavli. I grew this plant before in my former tiny garden and never saw any signs of berries but perhaps that's because I removed it too early after it literally strangled a small birch tree. I saw a summary on the San Marcos Growers site linking the 2, although it didn't reference the berries. I'll be watching for further developments!

      Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite' (on the north side of the house) does like to sprawl. It's not too hard to manage but it is prickly.

      Delete
    2. for a photo of the fruit: https://www.calflora.org/app/taxon?crn=7679

      Delete
  2. So many pretty blooms! I love your pathway, what is growing around the pavers? Gypsy Lord is gorgeous, what a name, hahaha. Leucospermums, Grevillieas looking so good. Some of my Alstroemerias have spread too much over time - it annoys me, it's a lot of work to dig those fingery tubers out. Others are well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's creeping thyme (Thymus serpyllum 'Elfin') growing between the flagstones, Tracy. It's my favorite low groundcover for that use, although it doesn't take as well in the driest areas, where I've reverted to Ruschia 'Nana'.

      Most of my Alstroemeria do behave themselves. However, the pink ones that came with the garden (which have probably been here for decades) are all over the place. At least I can easily pull those when they get too annoying.

      Delete
  3. I was ooh and ahhing over the grevillia and leucospermum but then paged down to the Salvia discolor and realized I'd never managed to find one this spring, bummer. Lots of beautiful blooms Kris, you must be loving the longer time to spend with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely see Salvia discolor in nurseries or garden centers anywhere, Loree. I can't even remember where I got mine. It's very happy in its current spot even though it's crowded on all sides. I don't think most people notice it when walking through the garden but I check it often because I know it's there.

      Delete
  4. That 'Gypsy Lord' is stunning. The Thyme looks great too a velvety carpet in that first photo.

    You are so organized! I admire that greatly. My posts are always random, like the rest of my life.

    My Salvia discolor would reseed, not enough to be a pest but enough to replace the old one with a new copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't planned to go back to my old approach to Bloom Day but, having taken a lot of photos before Pipig experienced her stroke, organizing them was a calming, rather mindless exercise and a distraction from her loss. As to the Salvia, I've never seen evidence of self-seeding but then that plant is so crowded by other plants, perhaps I've never noticed - the space it occupies hasn't changed or expanded, though.

      Delete
  5. That Hymenolepis looks pretty cool. And, I am surprised to see how large that Tagetes lemmonii has gotten. Gaillardias are a fave, but even when I buy a "dwarf" form, they get all leggy and floppy. Glad the heat isn't there yet. It's mostly held off here too. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have jinxed myself by commenting on our cool temperatures, Jerry. We've just about reached 83F today (noon), which is warmer than I can remember it being for months. The marine layer was very thin this morning and almost gone by 6:30am at our elevation. It's supposed to come back tomorrow but not with the vigor of the previous weeks.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Moonshine really starts off the summer. I won't bemoan what I can't grow here, so I'll say what beautiful daylilies! The salvia discolor is quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Salvia is subtle but intrigues everyone who takes the time to look at it. The flowers are nearly black and smell like currants.

      Delete
  7. I am in awe as always with your abundance of so many different types of blooms. The Leucospermum and Gazania rigens especially caught my attention for the month of June. It has been another wonderful visit to your little piece of paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leucospermum will be finishing up all too soon. The squirrels, for whatever reason, love Leucospermum "high Gold', stealing the flowers as they ripen and carrying them off to eat. The rabbits are prone to biting the heads off the Gazanias but they're so prolific it's hardly noticeable.

      Delete
  8. A new camera: That's fun! Although your photos have always been spectacular. What wonderful collections of Alstroemeria, Pelargoniums, Hemerocallis, and everything else. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. The new camera and I are still getting acquainted ;)

      Delete
  9. Wow! Wonderful! Beautiful! Stunning! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quantity of blooms in your garden never ceases to amaze me Kris! And there are so many that are new to me, always fun to virtually visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My climate is very different from yours, Candi. Our so-called "Mediterranean climate" is characteristic of only 5 areas of the world. Our winters, such as they are, are cool and rainy and our summers are hot and dry. Our area never even gets freezes, much less snow.

      Delete
  11. You have such an amazing array of flowers! How do you ever remember all the plant names? The arrangements by color are just grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elena. Blogging helps cement the names in my memory but I also keep a spreadsheet of most of the plants I add to my garden, which is a good reference when I blank out on a name.

      Delete
  12. I LOVE your BD posts, Kris. It is impossible to pick a favorite! 😍 Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden is in transition at the moment, Eliza. The last of the spring flowers are rapidly exiting and many of the summer blooms are waiting for warmer temperatures to take off.

      Delete
  13. You could publish your own floral encyclopedia. Impressive number of blooms and wide-ranging beauties they are. Hope you're enjoying your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the new camera, although it still feels a little awkward to use. More practice required!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.