Friday, June 30, 2023

The sweet peas get booted

The mildew on my sweet pea vines had gotten worse.  Flowers were fewer and had shorter stems.  So I bit the bullet and pulled down the vines late Wednesday morning while the marine layer kept the temperature at a comfortable level.

This was what the raised planter containing the sweet pea vines looked like a week earlier

 

 

It took me over two hours to clear the raised planter of the vines and to yank out the thicket of self-seeded Erigeron karvinskianus and Oxalis weeds underneath them.  I filled one green waste bin with those materials alone.  Cutting the remaining presentable sweet pea flowers slowed me up a bit.

These are the front and back views of the first small vase full of flowers I cut.  Earlier in the week I also cut small bouquets for 2 friends I met for lunch and a next door neighbor recovering from surgery.

These are the front and back views of the bouquet containing the vines' final flowers, now sitting on the desk in my home office

I held onto some of the snapdragons that occupied one corner of the bed.  They'd been shaded by the sweet pea vines and the flowers stems were lanky.  I eventually pulled 3 of the 6 plants I had there.  The remainder may follow soon.

 

After the bed was cleared, I added fresh planting mix, mushroom compost and a basic dry fertilizer.

I mixed those materials in on Thursday after pulling the remaining sweet pea vine roots out

 

I now had room to allow the remaining five sprouted dahlia tubers to spread their roots.

These 5 dahlias were the last to sprout and none of them look vigorous but I'm hoping they'll take off now that they're out of their small plastic pots and the sun is shining (at least during the afternoon hours).  This group includes one 'Break Out', 2 'Lady Darlene', and 2 'Romantique' Dahlias.

This is the bed after planting.  It looks pretty spare at the moment but, in addition to the 5 dahlias, I sowed sunflower seeds, Helianthus annuus 'The Joker' and 'Greenburst'.  (I've sown 'Greenburst' and 'Ruby Eclipse' sunflower seeds in other areas of the garden as well.)

I also uncovered this mystery vine.  It's shown up in this area once before.  My best guess is that it's an offshoot of the Pandorea jasminoides (bower vine) growing up the nearby arbor, although the leaves are much smaller and the vine's more twisted than that much larger plant.


Now, my focus is keeping the dahlias and the seeds in all three raised planters watered and healthy.  Some of the dahlias are already showing signs of leaf miner activity.  I tried spraying them with insecticidal soap but I may need to get more serious. 

The dahlias, zinnias, and sunflowers are all off to a late start this year but, even if I'd cleared these beds earlier I'm not sure it would've made much of a difference given the gloomy conditions and unusually cool temperatures we've had until now

 

It's probably going to be another six to eight weeks before I see any dahlias from my cutting garden, much less zinnias or sunflowers.  Unable to stop myself, I picked up a smallish dahlia on my last trip to the local garden center and potted it up.

I pulled the sad contents of this pot out, replacing them with Dahlia 'XXL Veracruz' and trailing Fuchsia 'Lena', a bright pink Calibrachoa, and plugs of a pink and green coleus (Plectranthus scutellaroides)

 

In addition, other areas of my garden are still pumping out new flowers.

Daylilies don't make good cut flowers but new ones keep popping up to add color to the garden.  Clockwise from the upper left are Hemerocallis 'Apollodorus', 'Cordon Rouge', 'Strawberry Candy', and the largest mass display yet of 'Spanish Harlem'.

More lilies are appearing by the day too.  On the left is Lilium 'Conca d'Or'.  The plant on the right is supposed to be Lilium 'Pretty Woman' but it looks much pinker than the flowers I've had from other bulbs I've purchased with this cultivar name.

Salvia clevelandii 'Winnifred Gilman' is suddenly covered in blooms

 

A heatwave is predicted to hit Los Angeles Country this weekend as we head toward our Independence Day holiday on Tuesday.  However, it currently looks as though the marine layer will still be present during the morning hours along the coast, which should keep our temperatures down.  I'm hoping that'll be the case anyway.

 

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend wherever you are.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. And in go the dahlias! I'm so impressed at your work keeping the cutting garden going/changing throughout the seasons. The sweet pea bouquets are so pretty. The warm-up and their new home will have the dahlias bursting over the weekend. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about the dahlias, tz! They always seem interminably slow to bloom to me ;)

      Delete
  2. Spero davvero che non arrivi il caldo che prevedono. Le tue piante sono bellissime, quei piselli sono pieni di fiori! Io non sono mai riuscito a coltivarne di così grandi :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is definitely on in parts of the Los Angeles county, Gabriel, but luckily that does not include mine, at least not yet. Our marine layer was in place once again this morning, although it cleared before noon.

      Delete
  3. When I look at all your effort dealing with cutting beds and spots for seedlings, I realize that maybe it’s a good thing I don’t have room for any of that. Have a nice holiday weekend. Our air quality is improving so hopefully I can garden and water without a mask. I tried it but it was just too hard to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're affected by the smoke from the Canadian wildfires, Linda. Ours is currently in the moderate category but, if people go crazy with fireworks as they normally do that could degrade quickly. ("Practice" fireworks have been going off for weeks already.) New restrictions are in place due to pollution concerns, preventing even some professional displays, but it's the crazy amateurs running amok that pose possibly the biggest risk of igniting fires and polluting the air, as well as the seawater.

      Delete
  4. Nice work on that raised bed. The towering sweet peas this year surprised me--I know rain works magic, but this year it became miraculous. They were so very pretty, weren't they? The array of colors in your vases are wonderful.

    As soon as the sun returned the zinnia seedlings started growing again--that's what they must have been waiting for. Dahlias too sped up.

    Hope your area doesn't get too hot and that the firecracker idiots restrain themselves this year. The pollution in the sky last year around the 4th was shocking.

    I hope your weekend is lovely regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the dahlias, zinnias and sunflowers will make up the lost time. It was warm today but we never got above 79F after the marine layer burned off.

      The Los Angeles Regional Water Control Board implemented new pollution controls related to firework displays. Even professional displays along the coast between Long Beach and Marina Del Rey have been nixed. Of course, that doesn't stop the amateurs from setting them off...We've been hearing "practice" fireworks for weeks already. I heard that Beverly Hills and several other cities are implementing drone-powered light displays in lieu of fireworks - maybe in time those will replace the loud, polluting, fire-risking rocket displays.

      Delete
  5. Kris, your garden is really having a great year. Beautiful sweet peas. Love the Daylilies. I remember you telling me as we toured the DC Fling that you had an extensive interest in daylilies. We also had cooler weather this spring and lots of rain--really makes for a happier gardener here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I invested in a LOT of daylilies back then, Susie, but, with a few exceptions, they haven't lived up to their promise. 'Spanish Harlem' is my favorite because it blooms profusely even in poor rain years and it's a reliable rebloomer. Many of the others produce just a few flowers and some seem to have thrown in the towel.

      Delete
  6. Hi there Kris ! ... I laughed when the first thing I read on this post was about sweet peas because I have a big pot with a tee pee support for them and they are only a 1/4 up the support .. however the complication with them was an overwhelming attack of aphids (big yuck) so I broke off the areas most infested, sprayed water trying to shoot them off that way and rubbed neem oil on the rim of the pot. So if I can't get rid of them I am dumping the peas. I have enough to catch up with in the gardens. I have a torn meniscus with my left knee so things have been neglected.
    You are amazing with such a variety of gorgeous plants on the go. That violet coloured dahlia is stunning, fantastic photo ! I'm trying to work up the courage to go out in the back garden and take a look with what is going on.
    I need to split the day lilies in the clematis circle, seeing your beauties reminded me of that ! Big sigh, another chore to the list.
    Your garden is so beautiful Kris, well done you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CGJ! I hope you're able to control the aphids on your sweet peas. I've never had that particular problem but maybe it's attributable to the difference in our bloom schedules.

      Best wishes for resolution of the knee problem. I had a "degenerative" meniscus tear years ago in one knee and, as arthritis set in on top of it, that knee's a perpetual problem. I've been told I need a knee replacement but I'm trying to put that off another year due to the amount of downtime that'll involve :(

      Delete
  7. I'd want to bury my face in the sweet pea bouquet... I couldn't get enough of the glorious scent!
    The planting beds look tidy and promising: now just need to wait for more exciting IAVOM presentations.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias always seem so slow to get their blooms on, Chavli. It makes me crazy every year!

      Delete
  8. Your sweet peas are gorgeous and provided you with many blooms for the house even if you did have to abandon the plants. I am envious of the erigeron too which I had no success growing in Austin. I bought a S. clevelandii this spring. I know it will grow here if I can get it established.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes with Salvia clevelandii, Jenny! I have a few varieties and they're tough plants.

      Delete
  9. You and Hoover Boo have inspired me to give sweat peas a try this winter/spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone who dislikes sweet peas, Gerhard, and they're relatively easy to grow, although I recommend thinning the seedlings more than I did this year!

      Delete
  10. Your cutting garden is like watching the changing of the guards, out with the old, in with the new! The scent of your large bouquets of sweet peas must have been absolutely dreamy! Mine have only just started. Growth has simply lagged this year. It is July and it still looks like the end of May for so much of my annual beds. One never knows what hand Nature will play. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweet peas were late due to the cooler temperatures this year too, although they still bloomed on an earlier schedule than yours. I usually pull them out in May but they didn't really get going until May this year.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.