Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Bloom Day - June 2023

I'm posting my photos for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day a day early this month.  I'm not going to replicate the laborious approach I took last month.  This time around, with a few exceptions, I've organized my photos by color rather than the area the plants were growing in.  I've highlighted a few blooms in each category, throwing the rest into collages.


Yellow Flowers

This Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles' isn't a plant I'd usually show off in a Bloom Day post.  In fact, I generally cut off the flowers as soon as they appear but I didn't have the energy to do that this year.  I let it do its thing and I discovered I like it!

Achillea 'Moonshine' is a summer star.  I thought much of it had died back last year and I'd been looking for replacement plants when it showed up looking as good as ever.

Crassula pubescens produces stems with tiny yellow flowers every year at this time.  With sun exposure, the leaves and stems turn red but there's been relatively little sun of late.

Clockwise from the upper left are: Arctotis 'Large Marge', Cotula 'Tiffindell Gold' (which seemingly returned from the dead this year), Helichrysum amorginum 'Ruby Clusters' (shown after the ruby buds turn yellow), Hymenolepis crithmifolia, Leucospermum 'High Gold' (mixed with yellow Gazanias), Dyckia choristaminea 'Frizzle Dazzle', Tagetes lemmonii, and Santolina chamaecyparissus



Orange Flowers

I inherited this plant with the garden and I'm still not sure whether its Campsis grandiflora or Bignonia capreolata but I'm going with the latter

Grevillea 'Superb' is still pumping out blooms like there's no tomorrow

Top row: Aloe striata x maculata, Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid', and Cuphea 'Vermillionaire'
Second row: Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Peach', Graptoveria 'Fred Ives', and Grevillea 'Poorinda Leane'
Third row: Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' shrub and floral closeup and Lantana 'Irene'


Red Flowers

Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guava) still in full flower.  The flowers of a second tree have been stripped off by mockingbirds but they seem to have ignored this one.

Clockwise from the upper left: Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', Helleborus 'Anna's Red', Hemerocallis 'Spanish Harlem', Lobelia laxiflora, Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset', and Pelargonium peltatum 'Dark Burgundy'



Pink Flowers

Centranthus ruber is no longer at its peak but it's still plentiful

Epiphyllum 'Monastery Garden', potted up in 2018, just produced its first bloom and there are more buds.  I caught the bloom a little past its prime I think.

Clockwise from the upper left: Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', noID Dianathus, Grevillea sericea, closeup of Cistus 'Sunset' followed by a larger photo of the shrub, and Oenothera speciosa



White Flowers

Arthropodium cirratum (Renga lily) is in full flower

Pandorea jasminoides and Trachelospermum jasminoides have joined forces

The Matilija poppies (Romneya coulteri) are still blooming at the bottom of my back slope.  Some of the tall stems obliged me by bending over so I could photograph the flowers.

Clockwise from the upper left: Fuchsia 'Windchimes White', Gaura lindheimeri, Lagurus ovatus, and Pelargonium tomentosum



Blue Flowers

This is officially the first Agapanthus to open in my garden but there's a legion of buds right behind it

My first Eryngium planum 'Blue Glitter', which I planted in the wrong spot at the edge of the border

Salvia clevelandii 'Winnifred Gilman' is gearing up to welcome summer when the sun returns

Left to right: blue Anagallis monellii (mingling with its orange cousin), Felicia aethiopica, and Penstemon heterophyllus



Purplish Flowers

Polygala myrtifolia (sweet pea shrub)

Salvia canariensis var candissima

Top row: Abelia 'Chiapas', Centaurea 'Silver Feather', and Erigeron glaucus
Second row: Gladiolus 'Vuvuzela', Limonium perezii, and Lupinus propinquus
Third row: Oscularia deltoides, Pelargonium peltatum 'Lavender Blizzard', and Teucrium cossonii majoricum

 

I'll close with what I characterized as exceptions in the introduction of this post.  Each of the following collages features plants in the same genus.  They vary in color and, in many cases, location within the garden.

Alstroemeria (Peruvian lilies), clockwise from the upper left: 'Claire', 'Inca Sundance', 'Inca Husky', 'Indian Summer', noID pink, 'Inca Vienna', and 'Third Harmonic'

Argyranthemum frutescens (marguerite daisies), clockwise from upper left: 'White Butterfly', 'Grandaisy Yellow', 'Grandaisy Red', and 'Pink Comet'

The Lathyrus odoratus (sweet peas) vines have grown well above my head.  Clockwise from the upper left of column 2 are 'Blue Shift', 'Dancing Queen', 'Enchante', 'Erewhon', 'Lavender Ice', and 'Oban Bay'.  Only the 'Turquoise' variety I planted from seed didn't show up.

I don't do well with roses but I have several in bloom at the moment, including, clockwise from the upper left: 'Golden Celebration', 'Lady Emma Hamilton', 'Joseph's Coat'. and 'Pink Meidiland'

 

That's it for this month.  For more GBBD posts, check in with Carol of May Dreams Gardens on June 15th.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. I'm always happy to see your Feijoa in bloom, I think it so exotic looking!
    Helichrysum 'Icicles' is kind of sparkly, to my eyes at least... glad you had a change of heart. The blooms can come off after they are spent, right?
    The placement of Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach' surrounded by viola (?) is perfect!
    Congrats on the first Epiphyllum bloom, a gorgeous shade of pink. I hope you keep an eye on the developing buds and get to share a photo.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pineapple gauva was already blooming last month and it's still going strong, Chavil. I wondered what had happened to the other one until I saw all the "leftover" flowers the mocking birds had left underneath it. They must have a nest nearby...

      That's may favorite pansy, Viola 'Penny Peach', surrounding the peach foxgloves and, yes, the Helichrysum 'Icicles' should survive to bloom another year if the sheer volume of the flowers this year doesn't sap the life out of the plant ;)

      Delete
  2. You chose a day early, I'm going with a day late. I was a little shocked to see the Feijoa sellowiana flowers as my plant is only in bud. Memory says it's a July bloomer for me. So it's natural for those of us readying other people's Bloomday posts to "pick a favorite"... I'm curious if you have a favorite from the blooms you've shared here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, although it surprises me, I think my current favorite this month is Helichrysum 'Icicles', Loree. Even though it's grown huge, crowding the flagstone path, and although I usually pull a Morticia Addams and cut off all the flowers, I'm a little in love with the contrast between that blue-gray foliage and the icy yellow flowers this year.

      Delete
  3. I thought the 'Cane's Hybrid' flowers were more pink, I guess they're orangey-pink? I tried to special order one to bring up to Oregon but the order never came through. I love that silver-gold effect of the helichrysum in bloom! And as far as eryngo placement near the front of the border, I've found that generally that's their preference, with lots of air and sunshine on their leaves. And since they're such slim plants I find they really don't hide anything else. 'Lady Emma Hamilton' (Lord Nelson's mistress of Trafalgar fame!) is a rose that even tempts me to grow -- maybe I'll get one for the veg garden ;). Salvia canariensis looks fabulous too -- it all does! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Cane's Hybrid's' flowers are generally described as pink, Denise, but they read more peachy-pink to me and I often include them in orange-toned flower arrangements. Thanks for justifying my placement of the Eryngium! I received the 'Lady Emma Hamilton' rose as my prize from the a drawing at the Garden Bloggers' Fling in Austin but I'm not 100% certain David Austin Roses sent me the right plant. In any case, it's not remotely vigorous here.

      Delete
  4. A floral delight. I like the way you organized and presented by color, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. It was a lot simpler than the approach I used last month ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow...wow...wow... that's what I kept saying as I scrolled, lol! Wonderful eye candy, Kris. I love your Bloom Day posts! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. It provides a useful record while giving me an opportunity to "commune" with my garden :)

      Delete
  6. I keep admiring that flagstone path with thyme. Thinking I might try to replicate that in a problem gravel area that I have to keep down the weeds. You still have a lot in bloom! I really like the contrast between the bluish leaves and the purple flower color on the Salvia canariensis. I've got the salmon/orange Anagallis arvensis (scarlet pimpernel) popping up here and there in the garden. I'd much prefer the blue one as I'm not a big fan of the color of our weedy one. Scarlet pimpernel seems like such a misnomer. Regarding your Eryngium planum Blue Glitter - oh gosh, there are so many plants that I've misplaced. Going to be moving some Allium cernuum that are waaaay out of proportion to the spot that I put them in. I couldn't believe how robust they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creeping thyme is a great plant, although it's not happy in the driest areas of my garden. I'm trialing Ruschia lineolata (aka dwarf carpet of stars) in the tougher areas. I've got a lot of what I believe is scarlet pimpernel down at the bottom of my slope but the 'Wildcat Mandarin' hybrid has larger flowers and isn't really weedy, although it does self-seed ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow! You have a lot of beauties! I like the way you grouped them by color.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are always so thorough. I admire your patience! The Helichrysum with flowers does look lovely--what rain can do! The Teucrium, too--many good plants in that genus.

    Roses--looking good! Maybe the very wet winter will get them going for you.

    What do you think of 'Dalmatian Peach'? Those are the foxglove seeds I was thinking to try. Are their flowers truly peach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that all of the roses have redeemed themselves but 'Pink Meidiland' and 'Golden Celebration' will stay in any case. I love 'Medallion', which came with the garden, but it struggles with our drought conditions even in a good rain year and the flowers aren't holding up well against the humidity that's accompanied the persistent marine layer.

      Yes, the 'Dalmatian Peach' foxgloves are really peach - my photo accurately reflects their color, at least to my eye. I tried growing them from seed myself but plugs or 4-inch plants are easier in my view. The seed-grown ones acted as true biennials and took 2 years to bloom. There's a limit to my patience when it comes to plants I generally treat as annuals ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh, good idea. You certainly have a rainbow of luscious blooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. The garden is a bit rainbow-like at the moment.

      Delete
  10. I'm impressed with how many blooms your June has. It must give you great joy to see them on your garden walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heavier-than-usual winter and spring rain was a major boon to my garden this year, Yvonne.

      Delete
  11. As always I remain in awe of all of your gorgeous blooms Kris. I'm on a penstemon kick so yours caught my eye as did the Centranthus ruber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got lucky with that Penstemon this year - it appreciated the heavier-than-usual rain we had this spring. For all practical purposes, Centranthus ruber is a weed year but a pretty one that we just try to manage ;)

      Delete
  12. As always, I am in awe over the abundance and beauty of your blooms. A visit to your garden always makes my day and all the love that is put into it clearly shines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! Only another gardener would feel the element of love ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.