Wednesday, January 18, 2023

New year pruning projects

My husband gave me a new pair of pruners for Christmas and I almost immediately put them to work on one project after another (mostly) between rainstorms.  I took my pruning of the three Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' on the south side of the house a bit further than I'd planned.

I started this pruning project when it was raining - and remembered to take this "before" shot after I'd already begun hacking away at the shrub on the left.  These shrubs are very twiggy and had a lot of dead material in the middle.

This is the "after" shot.  I filled 2 green waste bins with the pruned material and the 3-inch pile of dried leaves I swept up from the surrounding area.  As these shrubs have a minor problem with what I think are thrips, I elected not to put the dead leaves in my compost bin.

 

I've pruned these shrubs once before, in January 2020, and I was afraid I'd taken it too far on that occasion but they sprang back quickly and I'm counting on them following suit this time.

The photo on the left was taken in January 2020 after I finished pruning.  The photo on the right was taken less than 3 months later in April 2020.

 

While working on the south side of the house, I cut back the sweet autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora) and the smoke bush (Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple).  I also gave the Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey' a minor cleanup.

These are 2 views of the same Coprosma after I'd trimmed the dead stems that had been hidden by the overgrown Agonis 'Nana' shrubs.  It looks very leggy now but I've learned from experience that Coprosma doesn't generally come back when you cut into bare wood.  I might replace it but then, if I wait awhile, the Agonis foliage will cover up its bare legs again.

 

I'd planned to hold off on pruning Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' until it "bloomed" but it was pretty clear to me that the shrub on the north end of the house wasn't going to do that so I went ahead.

This was what the Leucadendron looked like after a gardener went after it with an electric hedge trimmer

I cleaned out a lot of dead material from the earlier hedge trimming episode in the process of taking down the shrub's overall height and softening its square edges.  While I'll miss the daisy-like "flowers" this shrub produces in winter, I hope it'll be looking like itself again by July when it usually sports its new red foliage.

 

I've worked on the most difficult project, pruning the two Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' at the front of the house, in stages.  I took yet another whack at it yesterday.

This is the "before" shot taken just after Christmas

I cut both Leptospermum shrubs back prior to year-end but, even though I filled 2 green waste bins with pruned stems, I'm not sure the difference would have been evident to the casual viewer.  This photo was taken yesterday after I went at the shrub on the left a second time.

The difference is somewhat more obvious in this comparison between the photo of the left shrub in late December and yesterday.  I plan to take another run at the shrub on the right side of the front path later this week.  Next year, I think I'll put both shrubs on the list for the professional tree trimmers to handle.

 

I already have my next pruning project lined up.

This is Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'.  It's "flowering" now so I'm going to leave it alone until it's done.  The bees seem to like the flower-like bracts.

 

In the interim, I plan to work on some projects that are more fun, like planting empty areas once the soil dries out a bit.  Meanwhile, my husband's working on a project of his own.

The repairs to the roof and chimney after storm #7 and prior to the arrival of storms #8 and #9 were only partially successful.  We believe that chinks in the mortar between the stones in the 72 year old chimney are the real problem.  My husband put up this tarp in the middle of storm #8 with me pacing below holding my phone to call 911 if he fell.  He agreed to get a professional to handle the rest of the patching, yet he was back up on roof working on that himself yesterday.

 

What about you?  Have you got any post-holiday projects in the works?


 

All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


12 comments:

  1. Electric hedge trimmers are useful for hedge trimming and shaping but many garden-services are too trigger happy with that thing... you end up with an unsolicited topiary surprise.
    I've been following your battle with the gorgeous 'Copper Glow'. I bet you wished it's was quite so vigorous a plant. Maybe you'd have an easier time with it using your brand new shears.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about trigger-happy gardeners! The new pruning shears made a difference, Chavli, but they still weren't up to cutting many of 'Copper Glow's' bigger branches. I had to use a much heftier pruner on those and was still out of my league with some of them.

      Delete
  2. Love the before and after photos! It's amazing how fast plants and shrubs and trees grow back when the pruning is done right and the growing conditions are great. Our growth from May through September is phenomenal, with great temperatures and long days. But you have great conditions most of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those shrubs, particularly the Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' and the Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' had me fooled by relatively slow growth in their early, formative years. They surprised me by the heights they reached in their leap years!

      Delete
  3. Nice job on 'Nana' and the Leptospermums. I hope your chimney situation gets resolved (hopefully with husband staying off the roof) and it would be great if we got some more rain before winter is over so you could make sure chimney is sound again.

    The soil here is actually a little soggy after so many years of dry-dry-dry, so I'm doing what I can reach from the paths--moved some volunteer lavender and "Hairy Canary" seedlings, planted the new Helleborus. Need to finish up scrubbing all the patio furniture and front door and then seal with monocoat oil. I did a decent job of scrubbing out in the rain (the sky did the rinsing) but missed some spots.

    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The husband must enjoy his roof-top walks given the amount of time he's spent up there. Despite "our plan" of hiring a chimney expert to perform the remaining repairs, he's been up there again patching the mortar. He argued that Thursday's storm will be a test of their effectiveness but the reports suggest that the 10th storm is unlikely to reach further south than Santa Barbara so who knows when that "test" will be.

      I should move some "Hairy Canary" seedlings myself. I wonder how they'd like my back slope...

      Delete
  4. You have been busy Kris! You’re a skilled pruner - really nice job. Good to know that Agonis flexuosa can handle a hard chop and spring back. That plant is often infested with thrips in my area too. I gasped when I saw the hedge trimmer pruned leucadendron- I think a license should be required to operate such machinery!
    Hope your husband stays off the roof. A doctor once told me that a disproportionally high number of emergency department admissions are for men of a certain age falling off ladders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty upset about what the gardener did to both 'Wilson's Wonder' Leucadendrons, although I was able to at least shape the first one in a timely manner after it'd been squared up. It's produced a few of its colorful winter bracts but I'm not expecting much of a show from it either. However, they're tough plants so I'm hoping both will recover in time (provided I can prevent any future "help").

      For a smart guy (with a PhD in physics no less), my husband can be foolishly stubborn about handling things for himself. It looks like we've probably seen the last of the rain for the foreseeable future so I assume he'll have no reason to go up there again anytime soon.

      Delete
  5. Hard pruning always scares me a little, so good for you for diving right in. I need to learn how to not be so intimidated by it. There are plenty of things in my garden that could use a good snip or five. Sorry you're having roof trouble, and I'm glad your husband has agreed to let the pros tend to it. Safer that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard pruning scares me a lot, Anna! However, after hacking numerous shrubs back previously, including those Agonis, I've become less reluctant to do it again. On the other hand, my husband is possibly more courageous than he should be about handling certain home repairs. He has already made another run at repairing the mortar on the chimney rather than calling in an expert.

      Delete
  6. My niece came to visit today - and drove past - we're lost! - because our hedge has greened over the front of the house since she was last here. And that's WITH the Ungardener wielding his new electric hedge trimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's amazing how different hedges can look after pruning. My Xylosma congestum hedges are covered in fresh glossy orange foliage a couple of weeks after pruning, looking very unlike their former dull green selves.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.