Monday, January 2, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: A bright start to the new year

The new year started with a relative deluge of rain.  We got nearly an inch and a half of rain on Saturday before the clock tolled midnight.  People attempting to launch fireworks probably weren't happy but I appreciated the pounding of rain on the roof more than the explosions that usually light up the sky over the harbor and beyond.  New Year celebrations are second only to Independence Day when it comes to fireworks here.  New Year's Day dawned with blue skies but high winds.  That made cutting flowers something of a challenge but I managed.

 

Flowers are still in short supply and I relied on Leucadendrons again fill the breach.  The dwarf Hippeastrum 'Saffron' at the front of the vase, the first to bloom in my garden this season, was beaten up so I cut the one remaining presentable stem.

Back view: I'd saved stems of the Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' I pruned earlier in the week so I had something of a head start pulling this arrangement together on Sunday.  The stems I saved all sported seed pods.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Hippeastrum 'Saffron', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' with seed pods, Prunus ilicifolia, Leucadendron salignum 'Blush', and L. salignum 'Safari Sunset'

 

One of my Christmas presents from my husband was an unusual vase I'd admired online.  I cut some additional flower stems to fill it. 

The new vase is comprised of 2 pieces, constructed to link together.  As the pieces are curved, flowers with more flexible stems than those I chose probably would have worked better.

I'd intended this to be the rear view but in the end I liked this side better.  Given where I placed it, it can be viewed from either side so it doesn't much matter.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Calliandra haematocephala, Grevillea rosmarinifolia 'Dwarf form', Camellia sasanqua, and C. williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection'.  I also used 3 stems of Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite' but I couldn't get either of 2 cameras to focus on its tiny flowers so there's no closeup to share.

I hope you enjoyed the holidays.  Here, we're looking forward to another round of rain starting this evening and running into Tuesday morning before another pause and then more rain on Wednesday and Thursday.  Maybe Mother Nature hasn't abandoned Southern California after all.


For more IAVOM posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. When looking at the first vase I thought of how essential Leucadendron and Leptospermum are in your garden, doing so much of the IAVOM 'heavy lifting' as it were, especially when blooms are in short supply.
    And then I saw your second vase... Wow, it is fabulous and so expressive. I like that there isn't a front and a back per se. You'll have a lot of fun experimenting with it.
    Chava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden wouldn't be the same without Leucadendrons, Leucospermums, Leptospermums, and Grevilleas, Chava. Or succulents, Callistemon, Osteospermum and others previously foreign to me for that matter. I found a whole new world of plants after moving here ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh you're going have a lot of fun with that new vase! I am actually kind of surprised that with your dedication to the IAVOM meme you haven't accumulated an entire inventory of vases. Congrats on the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one entire cabinet - with 3 shelves! - full of vases with some spillover into 2 other cabinets. Some I seldom use, however. I probably need to do some editing but I don't often find vases that really appeal to me. Of course, there are some expensive ones that intrigue me but I haven't been able to justify the purchases.

      Delete
  3. Oh Kris, I ams o thrilled for you to have a measurable quantity of rain, even though it is a fraction of what we might get here in a rainy spell (although we don't often get an inch in a day) - and more to come for you! What great start to the New Year! 😊 I love your new and most curious vase, looking as it does a little like a couple linking arms. It has a real sense of togetherness about it and will be real asset to your collection. I am intrigued by the idea of the 'dwarf' hippeastrum in your first vase - how small is it? The whole vase has such a subtle understated effect. Thanks for sharing Kris, and Happy New Year to you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting that our total rain to date for this 2023 "water year" (counted from October 1, 2022 through September 30, 2023), 4.55 inches, at least already exceeds the total for 12 months we got in the 2021 water year, which was the driest on record. Our total for the 2022 water year was better, over 8 inches, but it was still woefully short of the 15-16 inches that used to be our "normal" level of annual rain. It's still unclear whether the 2023 total will be any better than that but we can hope.

      It's going to take me awhile to find the right mix for the new vase but I'm pleased with it. The 'Saffron' Hippeastrum in the first vase is supposed to grow 8-10 inches tall but the 3 stems that opened prior to our "deluge" were more like 6 inches tall.

      Delete
  4. Your husband's gift gives a sculptural element which is so poised, and you've topped it with a vibrant and elegant arrangement. Happy New Year to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. I expect I'll need to fiddle with future arrangements using the new vase a bit more before I find the sweet spot that makes the most of its unusual shape.

      Delete
  5. We had some heavy rain on New Year's Eve too Kris but I imagine that yours was more appreciated. You must be delighted with the forecast for the week ahead. Here the rain eased off late in the evening so there were still a cacophony of fireworks at midnight. Beautiful vases as always. The new one is most eye catching and what a thoughtful gift. Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in an area at risk of wildfires and the amateur (and illegal) firework displays put us on edge so the pounding rain was very welcome on 2 levels, Anna. We need every drop we can get given the severity of our drought, and we were also saved from a sleepless night of noise into the wee hours compounded by nerves about some knucklehead setting the area on fire.

      Delete
  6. I love the new vase and the Camellias look wonderful in it! Happy New Year and rain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia! If only Camellias lasted a bit longer in a vase!

      Delete
  7. What a clever, attractive present. I love both arrangements, but calliandra always have an instant, joyful effect on my mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those flashy powder puffs are attention grabbers!

      Delete
  8. Your new vase is lovely Kris, and the Camellias are a beautiful choice for it. I am pleased for you that you got lots of rain - a good way to start off 2023 with your rain barrels nice and full. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is currently heavier than forecast - and it's not often I can say that!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Arrangements. I especially like the look of the pink blending into the green. Perfect. The link between the vases is very unique and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' makes a flashy floral substitute :)

      Delete
  10. Cool new vase, and beautiful arrangements as expected. The rain has been a wonderful change--have not thought about watering at all, not even new plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was steady here yesterday and today looks pretty much the same - the harbor is invisible today as it was all day yesterday and last night. I've got a mail order delivery of plants due tomorrow or Friday but it may be too wet to plant them - that'll be a first!

      Delete
  11. I like the cool new vase, Kris. Very arty! It looks like it will take a range of flowers for different effects. I look forward to seeing what you will create! Eliza

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.