Friday, May 6, 2022

SOARing with the butterflies

After I'd run down most of the topiary displays at South Coast Botanic Garden I checked in at the tropical butterfly exhibit, officially known as SOAR.  It was uncrowded when I entered just before 10am and I didn't tarry long in the exterior area.

To provide interested visitors with guidance about how to create a butterfly garden, SCBG has planted the exterior area with foliage that feeds caterpillars as well as flowers that provide nectar for butterflies

I neglected to take a photo of the butterfly enclosure on this visit but I managed to dig up a photo of the structure I'd taken in February.

The exterior area was replanted before SOAR reopened in April.  You can find a partial list of plants here.

I spent enough time within the enclosure to be reasonably sure I caught photos of the butterflies (and one moth) that were active that morning.  I've identified them to the best of my ability based mainly on online sources.

This is the giant owl butterfly (Caligo memnon).  They're known for the large spots on their wings thought to resemble an owl's eyes.

You probably recognize the monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus)

This was the only gray cracker butterfly (Hamadryas februa) I saw this year.  It had seen better days.

The zebra longwings (Heliconius charithonia) were perhaps the largest group flitting about and they seemed to be more prone to hanging out as a group than other species.  This is Florida's state butterfly.

My best guess is that this is one of the so-called postman butterflies, possibly Heliconius melpomene

This one (Idea leuconoe) has a host of common names including the paper kite butterfly, the rice paper butterfly and the large tree nymph

There were a lot of blue morpho butterflies (Morpho peleides) in the enclosure too but most were in resting postures with their wings closed.  The one on the upper right had a clipped wing that revealed its blue color and I caught one (lower right) in the process of closing its wings.

I managed only a few shots showing the Morpho's wings wide open.  You had to be very careful when walking in the enclosure as many of the butterflies rested along the paths.

This is a giant swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes), reportedly the largest butterfly in North America

This is actually a nocturnal silk moth (Rothschildia lebeau).  A volunteer told me that it sleeps with its wings wide open and has a life span of just 5 days. 

The range of the rusty tipped page (Siproeta epaphus) includes southern Texas, as well as South America

This one (Siproeta stelenes) is commonly known as the malachite butterfly due to the similarity between the color of mineral malachite and the green of its wings

 

I enjoyed my visit, although  I wish SCBG provided a list of the butterflies within the enclosure for reference.  When I asked one of the volunteers if they had such a list I was told that the butterflies in residence were hard to track as the population changes regularly.  I can appreciate that; however, I remember an east coast exhibit I visited years ago managed by posting a board with photo IDs they could add or delete as appropriate.

I was concerned to see several plants showing severe infestations of mealy bugs inside the enclosure.  To my knowledge, mealy bugs can't hurt butterflies but I expect they eventually damage the plants the butterflies rely on for nectar.  And, if nothing else, they're ugly.

A large number of the zebra longwings were clustered on a sad-looking Lavatera (left).  Some of the butterfly bushes (Buddleia, right) were also affected.  Butterflies on those shrubs didn't make great photographic subjects.  I know SCBG practices integrated pest management but a butterfly exhibit isn't the usual garden setting so it may require a different kind of treatment.  I mentioned the infestations to a volunteer and got a shrug.


My biggest concern had nothing to do with SCBG's management of the exhibit.  As a couple of groups of small children entered with parents and grandparents, I noticed that many of the kids were more alarmed by the butterflies flitting about than captivated by their magic.  What's with that?  It brought to mind a Garden Rant post I read recently, bemoaning the fact that many children now have greater exposure to technology than to nature.  My experience obviously represented a tiny sampling but it made me think that there may be something to the so-called "nature deficit disorder."  The good news is that the prescription is more first-hand exposure to gardens, insects and animals.  SOAR runs through the end of July.

That's it from me this week.  Best wishes for a happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party




12 comments:

  1. Hello there Kris
    What a beautiful post to see first thing in the morning !
    I am determined to draw in some butterflies with my dill plants in pots, hoping they will lay eggs and I can help them through there stages.
    I stored a chrysalis once over winter in my fridge and it was like seeing a tiny miracle unfold when it emerged .. I was so worried storing it in the fridge was not good enough to get it through winter .. I will never forget that nor will my husband and son, who was the first "object" the butterfly went to as it dried it's wings out.
    I'm sure there is such a thing as nature deficit disorder with kids from at least 2 generations and that is so sad ..
    Thanks for this post .. now I have to get organized and enjoy the work I have planned in my garden (I'm tired already ? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experience with the chrysalis stored in your refrigerator is indeed a mini-miracle, CGJ! I hope you're successful in bringing in butterflies to your garden. Other than the giant swallowtail and the monarch, my garden hasn't attracted any of the tropical species SCBG has available to show off. However, cloudless sulphur butterflies are common in my garden and usually get painted ladies and lots of skippers.

      Delete
  2. A magical post. Thanks for sharing your butterfly adventure, Kris. I've not seen many of these and its so interesting to see those fabulous patterns and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority of the collection of butterflies SCBG is exhibiting are tropical species, most indigenous to Central and South America. If they weren't "imported" we wouldn't find them here either.

      Delete
  3. I love butterfly houses, they always seem so magical to me. There is a butterfly museum very close to me and it is esp. nice to visit there in winter, where it is quite tropical! It is a pity about the infestation ... while they can't spray, someone could dab alcohol on them perhaps? oh well... you tried. My favorite was that beautiful nocturnal silk moth – what a gorgeous pattern! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the mealy bug infestation is already quite advanced, I suspect that the best thing would be to replace the Lavatera and at least prune the Buddleias to remove the affected stems. I think they've ignored the problem too long to use alcohol in the initial treatment but it would be useful as a regular followup. I'm surprised that the garden staff doesn't regularly check the health of the plants inside that enclosure as the conditions would seem to increase the risk of that kind of problem.

      I didn't dig deeply enough to find much information on that moth but my impression from an article I scanned is that the "windows" in the wings that appear green are translucent, showing the color of what's underneath the moth. Very cool in any case.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful photos Kris. What a delight it must have been to be able to view so many varieties close up. Most of those I have never seen or heard of, so I thank you for the education and sharing your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love butterfly exhibits as they allow us to see species we'd never otherwise happen upon, outside of a trip to South America anyway!

      Delete
  5. Stunning photographs, thanks. Butterflies are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That nocturnal silk moth is quite amazing. Like you, I would have expected some signage identifying the various butterflies and moths. You did well to research and name them. Beautiful. -Horticat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best things about blogs, Horticat, is that they create records you can look back on to identify plants - and, in this case, butterflies - you can't immediately put a name to. Records of past tours of butterfly exhibits helped with the identification process this time, although I still spent some time going down internet rabbit holes in a few cases.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.