Monday, May 16, 2022

In a Vase on Monday: Just peachy

On Saturday, I noticed that the Matilija poppy (Romneya coulteri) on our back slope was sporting five blooms.  Although I've tried to remove the thuggish plant twice, even enlisting my husband's help to dig it out once, it inevitably reappears, producing tall, sprawling stems topped with fragile blooms beloved by the bees.  I headed down the slope early Sunday morning hoping for at least three intact blooms and came back with only one but I was committed to a white and yellow arrangement so I persevered.  Some peach colors infiltrated the mix as I tried to fill it out.


Although the Matilija poppy was the inspiration for this arrangement, the 'Golden Celebration' rose assumed the lead role

Back view: I used stems of Argyranthemum frutescens and Pandorea jasminoides to add the touches of white I'd originally hoped to get from the poppies

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia grandiflora 'Hopley's Variegated', Achillea 'Moonshine', Alstroemeria 'Claire', Romneya coulteri (aka Matilija poppy), Antirrhinum majus 'Chantilly Peach', Argyranthemum frutescens 'White Butterfly', Pandorea jasminoides, and Rosa 'Golden Celebration'

 

We had another stretch of hot weather late last week, with temperatures reaching 90F (32C).  The seemingly constant pattern of flip-flopping temperatures has stressed many of my plants.  My cool season flowers, like the foxgloves, sweet peas and larkspur, were slow to get going but now seem to be ready to throw in the towel.  The larkspur made an especially poor showing this year and I decided I'd best make use of the remaining presentable blooms before they're gone.


With the addition of a beefy stem of Delphinium elatum 'Morning Light', the arrangement was off to a lop-sided start but I did my best to give it better balance by adding numerous stems of Consolida ajacis (larkspur), Orlaya grandiflora, and Nigella papillosa

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Consolida ajacis, Delphinium elatum 'Morning Light', Lathyrus odoratus x belinensis 'Erewhon', noID white Lathyrus odoratus, Nigella papillosa, and Orlaya grandiflora

 

Nine of my dahlia tubers have sprouted thus far and I've already moved seven of these from their temporary pots into their summer homes, the raised planters and half barrels that make up my cutting garden.  As I remove the cool season plants, the space they occupy will be filled by other dahlia tubers and the zinnia and sunflower seedlings I've grown from seed in plastic pots.  Summer is breathing down our necks here.  Southern California had its first major wildfire last week and, on the heels of that, there was a smaller fire less than five miles from my home in a nearby park.  Swamped by over 80 firefighters and assisted by water drops from helicopters that flew directly over our house a couple of times, it burned just ten acres before it was extinguished.  Luckily no structures were damaged but it was a stark reminder of the challenges summer poses.


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



 

All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

 

 




18 comments:

  1. Such variety....love the mix of peaches and white as well as the purples and white. Nice to have dahlias sprouting. One of my three is also sprouting as we had such extreme heat here. With the fierce rainstorms today, I expect to see all of them sprouting soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the dahlias do well for you, Donna! I'm always just a little anxious while waiting for my tubers to sprout as they don't always cooperate ;)

      Delete
  2. There was a long article about your drought in the Sunday Times yesterday, including about the millionaires willing to risk fines to water their plots, as well as the risk of fires. It has been interesting to read about your routines with warm and cool weather plants, and the progress of your dahlias. I especially like your blue vase today, with the delphinium and larkspur - gorgeous! The delphinium flower has such a dense bloom, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the last time water restrictions were imposed in relation to drought here (which never should have been lifted in my opinion), there were regular stories about the huge volumes of water used by people with money to burn. Despite public cries to clamp down (and publicly name and shame some of those parties), nothing was done that time. The drought is far worse now and authorities have still been slow to take strong steps, much less to enforce the rules they do invoke, and I fear that everyone will suffer for this in time. We've got a neighbor that indiscriminately waters 4 times a week, including in areas where they have drought tolerant plants.

      Delete
  3. Love your peachy arrangement with its gorgeous rose and oh! The Delphinium! I wish I could grow them. I have foxglove and lupines I'm trying to being into flower and we're supposed to have record-breaking heat this week. Rains when they come are minor. The fires nearby you must have been an anxious time. Take care and have a good week Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have sworn I couldn't grow Delphiniums either, Susie. In my case, the trick was planting them in my cutting garden, which gets more water, fertilizer and attention. I hope the heat isn't as bad as you fear. Temperatures in general are fluctuating wildly here too - days ago we had highs of 90F but today we're below 70F.

      Delete
  4. Blogger ate my comment - apologies if this gets posted twice!
    Your yellow arrangement is a bunch of happiness, Kris. And your second, cool sophistication. Both are really beautiful.
    So glad to hear the fire authority got the blaze near your home under control quickly. Fire is a worry here too, even though we are on the edge of suburbia, there is bushland close by. I wish you a safe summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Horticat. Fires are an even bigger concern than earthquakes here. My in-laws lost their home to fire decades ago, an event that's always at the back of our minds, especially since we moved into this area with all its canyons. The use of illegal fireworks in the area is major source of worry - the penalties for using these greatly increased this year but I'm not sure it's enough to control all the fools out there.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful vases as always Kris - Horticat's comments sum them up in a nutshell 😂 That is indeed 'Erewhon' - isn't it a beauty! I do hope that that it is a kinder season for you as far as those dreadful wildfires are concerned 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thanks to you, Anna, for making it clear that what I thought might be 'Erewhon' wasn't. When another sweet pea showed up with those touches of pink in it, I knew that I must now have the real thing! Most of the sweet pea seeds I sowed were mixes so I have no clue as to their proper names but 'Erewhon' was the exception as I planted it from a 4-inch pot.

      Delete
  6. Fire season must feel like hurricane season here..a looming menace. My Larkspur did the same thing..and am a little ahead and behind with the Dahlias. Interesting the similarities. Love that you can grow Delphiniums there and the white daisies always inspire me to try some...peachy keen vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the fire risk is no longer just seasonal - it's here year-round with only brief periods of relief when it's pouring rain (which hasn't been common during the last 2 years). The Delphiniums refuse to grow anywhere but in the raised beds in my cutting garden but it's worth buying a couple of 4-inch pots and treating them like annuals there.

      Delete
  7. Both are beautiful color combinations, Kris. I would love a summer floral dress in those peach, white and yellow colors. :)
    The up and down weather seems to be happening here as well. Over the weekend, the temps were in the high 80s (unusual for May) and today the high was 62 and very gusty, making it feel colder. Friday is supposed to be high 80s again and Sat. low 90s! This is crazy, the plants must be confused.
    Worrisome about the fires already... you must be dreading the coming summer. I'm hoping for miracles. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing those random temperature fluctuations, Eliza. If it was just my own area I might shrug it off but it's concerning that the pattern seems to be happening all over the country this year. Sadly, I've dreaded summer for many years now, although the increased fire risk does heighten the anxiety.

      Delete
  8. Nice to see some roses in one of your beautiful arrangements.

    I'm not the only one dreading summer? Here I thought I was overreacting, but maybe I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have your touch with roses, HB. My garden is so dry already, it's hard to imagine that things aren't going to get worse. And the threat of fire, often sparked by fools, is a persistent concern.

      Delete
  9. That sounds a bit too close for comfort Kris. Is there a local strategy plan should it spread in your direction? I do hope the fires won't be as bad again this year. Your peaches and cream vase is delectable, and the blues, especially the Larkspur, are such a lovely refreshing cool colour. I love larkspur and delphiniums; having them in a vase together must be a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fast-moving fire in our immediate vicinity would be a concern as there's only one road out of our neighborhood if an evacuation was ordered, Cathy, a concern that hasn't been successfully addressed by our home owners' association. On the positive side, the nearest fire station is just a mile away.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.