Saturday, January 15, 2022

Bloom Day - January 2022

After one of the coldest and wettest Decembers on record for California, January thus far has been warmer and completely dry in the southern part of the state.  The long-term projections for the remainder of SoCal's rainy season aren't auspicious but, as long-term forecasts are always questionable, I'm trying to remain optimistic.  At least our December rain total put us above the total for the entire 2021 water year and moved our current drought status from "severe" to "moderate."  The outlook for Northern California is better than that for SoCal, which means the state's water system as a whole should be less stressed than it was last year and I can't complain about that.

While January is a sluggish month for blooms, flowers are far more prevalent here than in the colder parts of the country.  I suspect that's particularly true this year with the upper midwest and eastern parts of the country being hit with an arctic blast.

This is perhaps the brightest spot in my garden at the moment, featuring Aloe wickensii, Grevillea 'Superb', and the flower-like bracts of Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder'

I'm going to start my bloom review with the succulents this month.

I've introduced more Aloes in recent years but, as I generally start with small plants, many have yet to bloom.  Clockwise from the upper left are: Aloe vanbalenii x ferox, A. 'Moonglow', A. 'Safari Rose', and A. wickensii.  I planted the last one from a 4-inch pot 7 years ago and this is the first time it's bloomed!

Clockwise from the upper left, other succulents in bloom include: Crassula multicava 'Red', C. ovata, C. 'Springtime', Aeonium arboreum, Sedeveria 'Fanfare', and Senecio kleiniiformis.  I counted 68 Aeonium bloom stalks at present.

Taking my cue from the photo at the top of this post, next up are the Grevilleas and the Leucadendrons.  The large-flowered Grevilleas bloom year-round but the small-flowered varieties join in during our cool season.  The "blooms" of Leucadendrons are actually colorful flower-like bracts.

Top row:  Grevillea alpina x rosmarinifolia, G. lavandulacea 'Penola', and G. rosmarinifolia
Middle row: Grevillea sericea and G. 'Scarlet Sprite'
Bottom row: Grevillea 'Ned Kelly', G. 'Peaches & Cream', and G. 'Superb'

Top row: Leucadendron 'Blush' and L.'Safari Sunset'
Middle row: 2 views of Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'
Bottom row: Leucadendron 'Summer Red' and L. 'Wilson's Wonder'


The other stars of my winter garden include the following:

Bauhinia x blakeana (aka Hong Kong orchid tree) rebounded with the return of drier weather.  The perfect bloom on the bottom right fell from the tree onto a shrub below.

The two noID Camellia sasanqua species (top row) are still blooming if somewhat shabby.  Camellia williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection' (bottom) has just started its annual run.

The flowers of Felicia aethiopica 'Tight & Tidy' are small but prolific

I must confess that, after taking this photo of the ever-blooming Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy', I cut the plant down to its woody base.  The plant had engulfed a rose I wanted to prune and, once I started, I couldn't stop.  I still have a couple of less vigorous specimens, though.

The Osteospermums take off during our cool season too.  Clockwise from the top left are: Osteospermum '4D Silver', O. 'Berry White', O. 'Double 'Moonglow', and O. 'Violet Ice'.

Tagetes lemmonii has mostly recovered from the gardener's poorly timed pruning

As usual, there were a few surprises.

The native Dodecatheon clevelandii (syn Primula clevelandii aka Padre's shooting star) on the left was a Christmas gift from a friend.  The Lachenalia aliodes v quadicolor, on the right, purchased as a bulb, was supposed to a different variety.

I'd expected Hippeastrum 'Luna' to be white with a green center but it's more lemon-lime in color

I got this Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum' (aka bush germander) as a tiny seedling from a friend in January 2019.  I feared for its survival several times but it seems to have taken hold at last.

I'll close this bloom update as I normally do, with the best of the rest organized by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: Antirrhinum majus, Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', Lantana 'Irene', and Lobelia laxiflora

Clockwise from the upper left: Argyranthemum frutescens 'Yellow Butterfly', Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', noID Grindelia, Oncostele 'Wildcat', Pennisetum advena 'Rubrum', and Phylica pubescens

Left to right: Argyranthemum frutescens 'White Butterfly', noID Narcissus tazetta, and Westringia fruticosa 'Morning Light'

Top row: noID Ceanothus, Globularia x indubia, and Lavandula multifida
Middle row: Limonium perezii, Rosmarinus 'Gold Dust', and Viola cornuta 'Penny Peach'
Bottom row: trailing Lantana, Ocimum 'African Blue Basil', and Polygala fruticosa

Top row: Arbutus 'Marina', Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', and Argyranthemum frutescens 'Comet Pink'
Middle row: Boronia crenulata 'Shark Pink', Brassica oleracea acephala, and Coleonema 'Sunset Gold'
Bottom row: Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl', and Scabiosa columbaria

Top row: Cuphea 'Honey Bells' and Cyclamen 'Djix'
Bottom row: Gazania 'White Flame', Pelargonium sidioides, and Ribes viburnifilium

For Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day reports from other parts of the US and the world, check in with Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. The resident hummingbird zooming around my balcony would have been thrilled with the Lobelia laxiflora and the large selection of Cuphea blooms you have.
    Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum' blooms are quite gorgeous up close.
    I expect Gomphrena will be on display next Monday's IAVOM...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hummingbirds have no reason to be unhappy with my garden. They do love Cuphea - and Arbutus, Lobelia and even Aloe blooms - but the Grevillea flowers are their top picks. I hope that rambunctious Gomphrena comes back - my others don't hold a candle to it in terms of flower production.

      Delete
  2. Very nice and I hope you have a wetter year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we got 0.01/inch of rain this morning. It was a surprise that we got anything today but it was hard not to be disappointed that it wasn't more.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I've seen winter outside of zone 10, your Bloom Day reports get their proper perspective! Just astounding what we can grow during winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be returning to admire the winter blooms in your 10b garden soon, Denise. Who knows what your garden's up to in your absence!

      Delete
  5. As always, a very impressive display! So will the Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy' you cut way back rebound with new growth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It remains to be seen whether that Gomphrena will rebound, Loree. I pruned it very hard and it looks somewhat tragic at present. I did save seed a few months ago, which may have been prescient on my part but, given that the seeds have a low rate of germination, I may just order another plant from Annie's if necessary ;) It's hard for me to believe that a plant that vigorous will give up, though.

      Delete
  6. That snapdragon is a fantastic color. I want a bush germander! As usual, I'm envious of your African daisies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to see more snapdragon flowers before the rust that usually plagues the plants here gets started, Lisa. I'm very pleased to see that bush germander push through the challenges it faced here even if it's still on the dinky side.

      Delete
  7. You have plants that I am not familiar with, but then again, you live across the country from me. Your garden is so full of blooms, a bit like paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be paradise here, Yvonne, provided you can forget the threat imposed by our persistent state of drought.

      Delete
  8. Aloes at last. Aren't they great? My wickensii is older than yours but still has not flowered. Maybe next year.

    That Teucrium is such a beauty--have always wanted to grow it, but space for it and seeing it for sale have never occurred at the same time.

    Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clearly "need" more Aloes, HB. Taking out some of the plants struggling on my back slope should open up space for them. Perhaps I can pass along a Teucrium seedling to you one day. After 3 years in the ground, my plant is still tiny by comparison to its parent in my friend's garden and, based on that, I'm guessing you could tuck it in a pot to bulk up for some time until the stars aligned and space opens up in your garden.

      Delete
  9. A sluggish month for flowers? But you have an abundance of flowers that make me green with envy. Those aloes are fabulous. I remember your 'Itsy Bitsy' from previous posts, I have never seen it here. The grevilleas are my top picks too, along with the Leaucadendrons and the Hong Kong Orchid tree. But all your blooms are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grevilleas are not only beautiful but also very reliable bloomers.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous as always. I do love the Grevillia's. The flowers are unusual and interesting. What is the secret to Lachanalia? I have two bulbs that are fresh and green, have been potted for several months and are just sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year I've grown Lachenalia, Elaine. I think their bloom schedules may be staggered. My 3 potted Lachenalia viridiflora bloomed a month ago. I've 5 other Lachenalia bulbs planted with this quadricolor variety (which was supposed to be vanzyliae) that show no sign of blooming yet but they're different species/cultivars.

      Delete
  11. For some reason, I'm no longer getting your posts via email... not sure why. I got worried, so came looking for you, phew, glad you are okay!
    LOVE seeing all your sunny blooms! A rainbow of delightful colors. :)
    Interesting that your Dec. was below normal and the rest of the country was above normal. More weather weirding, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Blogger no longer supports email notifications to people who subscribe to blogs on its platform, Eliza. I probably should have posted notice to that effect before the change went into effect :(

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.