Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Wednesday Vignette: A visit from the Easter bunny?

In the flurry of post-vaccination activities - my first dental visit in over a year, my first eye examination in two years, and my first haircut in over six months among other things - I'd nearly lost track of the upcoming Easter holiday.  I'm not inclined to decorate the house with Easter bunnies, color eggs or load up on fanciful chocolate candy but, prompted by the holiday, I do sometimes indulge in purchases of spring plants, not that I really need much of an excuse to do that.  In between appointments, I stopped by my local garden center this week and picked up a few things, along with dozens of other people; however, after viewing my front garden yesterday, I decided I needn't have bothered: it looked like the Easter bunny had already paid me a visit.

I'm not sure I could've designed a more appropriate color palette if I'd consciously applied myself to that task

Fabergé eggs don't have anything on the flowers of Leucospermum 'Spider Hybrid'  

Many of the other plants in the area picked up on the color theme, clockwise from the upper left: Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire', Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream', Lantana 'Lucky Yellow', Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny', Narcissus 'Geranium', and variegated Yucca gloriosa

I actually do have bunnies in the garden but they're not the giving kind.  I have Mother Nature to thank for the spring display on my front slope.  For the record, here's what I picked up as I hopped through the garden center this week.

My biggest indulgence was another Helleborus 'Anna's Red'.  I also picked up Nemesia 'Banana Swirl', Salvia microphylla x greggii 'Glare', and Lithodora diffusa 'Heavenly Blue'.

I added to my Aeonium collection as well with Aeonium hybrid 'Jolly Green', A. 'Suncap', and and Aeonium labeled "Kiwi Stripe" (which I think is actually A. leucoblepharum)

Do you decorate to celebrate spring, or do you let your garden do the work for you?

For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



22 comments:

  1. No decorating for me, just wandering the very wet garden pulling weeds here and there between rainfalls. Just the opposite of what you experience, Kris. Everything is really opening up, so of course we are supposed to have at least two nights of below freezing temps. Better that than more days filled with tornado watches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much of anything is bad news, Barbara. I wish we could take some of that rain off your hands. I hope no more tornadoes head your way.

      Delete
  2. Such a soft place for an Easter Bunny to land in your garden. A sweet spot. Happy Easter anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the all natural Easter theme you have going there, Kris. And it's great that you are able to feel more comfortable out in public, esp. visiting the garden centers!
    I decorated more when the boys were young, but haven't done it in years. However, there are crocus and daffodils blooming in the lawn though!
    Enjoy the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that Mother Nature came through with some spring blooms for you, Eliza.

      Delete
  4. I almost never decorate for Easter. It always sneaks up on me! I do have some very Easter colored spots in the garden that usually bloom right around that time, so I have ample backup if I neglect my decorating duties. Anna's Red is a beautiful hellebore!

    About the fancy chocolate - I think it's silly to wait 'til Easter. Personally, I like to keep some in the house at ALL times! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter always sneaks up on me too, Anna - I blame the variable schedule for the holiday. Chocolate (ice cream and candy) has become my pandemic indulgence. I try to keep at least some dark chocolate on hand at all times. I've only gained 2 lbs (so far).

      Delete
  5. Nice Hellebore! :) 'Spider Hybrid', love the delicate colors of it and the Nemesias.

    I'm looking forward most of all to an eye exam and new glasses. Just had my 2nd vaccine and got quite ill from it, with all the predicted side effects. First shot, just a sore arm. This time, got hammered. I'm recovering, though. Will treat myself to a garden center visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you were strongly affected by the second dose, HB, but then I've been told that proves it's working. In addition to the sore arm, I had a mild persistent headache but then I took Tylenol at intervals afterwards as a retired nurse suggested to me and that may have moderated the side effects. My husband jumped into his normal exercise routine, which I think contributed to his stronger reaction to the second shot.

      Delete
  6. Good Easter colors throughout, especially your spectacular twist on "Fabergé" eggs.
    Spring exuberance in the garden can be exciting and overwhelming, from new growth on the bare branches and emerging perennials from winter slumber, that I'm less tempted to shop for more plants. Although I did pick up Arctostaphylos ground cover yesterday... sometimes it cannot be helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth is, I buy plants at intervals nearly year-round, sometimes even in summer, which is almost tantamount to giving them a death sentence. Summer is getting a very early start here this year too...

      Delete
  7. I like your version of an Easter basket! Congrats on all the post-vaccination tasks complete. I too am going to be visiting the eye doc (so needed, so overdue) and the dentists as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your delayed visits to the eye doctor and dentist go as smoothly as mine did, Loree. I was very nervous about both but did well overall (no eye prescription change and no cavities!).

      Delete
    2. Good news, and the haircut is a treat!

      Delete
    3. My hair had been driving me crazy for the last 3 months, Diana...

      Delete
  8. Easter is so off my radar this year, and I'm usually on board with all the chocolate. My mom was the one who kept us tuned into the Easter calendar. I love your peachy Easter garden scene. Everybody is outstripping me in the hellebore department -- so many good ones I wouldn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hellebores took awhile to settle in but they've been surprisingly dependable since, Denise. 'Anna's Red' was one of my earliest acquisitions and is still by far my favorite, which is why I caved and paid the price to get a second one in a 2-gallon pot this week.

      Delete
  9. Everything looks great Kris. The Leucopspermum are indeed an Easter surprise. Even though you are vaccinated please be careful. Doesn't look like we are out of the woods yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The virus is mutating as fast - or faster - than people are getting vaccinated. I continue to wear a mask in public and practice social distancing.

      Delete
  10. I will be following in your footsteps soon with similar post vaccine appointments although I've had a dental appointment in the last summer. I'm especially looking forward to a hairdresser's appointment with my hair having last seen scissors in January 2020 😱 My hairdresser will have his work cut out! Your garden looks as if it is full of Easter sunshine and eggs. The leucospermum is fabulous. Glad to see that you've made it to the garden centre. Wishing you a happy Easter Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost had my husband cut my hair several times, Anna. It drove me crazy. My hairdresser thanked me for having waited as she apparently believed her work would have been all the more difficult if he's had a go at it ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.