Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Wednesday Vignette (Late Edition): Rain, at last

It's hard not to take rain forecasts with a grain of salt here, especially when the first 3 weeks of November were unusually hot and humidity levels were stuck in the single digits all too frequently.  Things didn't look good overnight or this morning when Mother Nature just spit at us without registering any measurable precipitation.  However, the situation turned around mid-day when we received several short bursts of rain.

View of the back garden and the Port of Los Angeles in the distance this afternoon


We recorded just a quarter inch of rain but I don't consider that bad, especially as more rain is possible overnight.  The roof poured a good amount of what we got into my rain barrels too.

My husband reconnected all my rain tanks to our roof gutters over the weekend.  Our modest rainfall filled my 50-gallon tank and I accumulated almost 70 more gallons of rain in this 160-gallon tank.  I expect I picked up something on the same order in the tank that feeds off the garage roof.


The prospect of rain got me moving earlier this week.

I filled in the bed I showed in my post of November 6th.  Although succulents may have been a better choice for the sandy soil here, I chose Argyranthemum, Violas, and Lobularia (Alyssum) because I wanted something softer, at least in the short-term.  I also cleaned up the far end of the bed, pulling our some of the elongated Aeonium arboreum and cutting out the dead undergrowth of Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt'.

I pulled the last of my zinnias, supplemented the soil in my raised planters with compost, sowed larkspur (Consolida ajacis) seeds and, because I couldn't resist them, planted snapdragon plugs.  I also sowed California wildflower seeds on my back slope.


Meanwhile, the neighbor across the canyon continues to work on the backyard structure visible from our garden.

Realizing that the structure is probably associated with the property on the left rather than the white house on the right as I'd earlier assumed, my new theory is that the structure is intended as an art studio


Our remodel hit 2 more unexpected roadblocks this week.  The stone mason cut and delivered the wrong granite for our fireplace hearth yesterday and then the electrician's work failed to pass the city's inspection today.  With next week being Thanksgiving, we were told it could be 3 weeks before we get the replacement hearthstone, which delays completion of the living room fireplace.  Redoing the electrical wiring to meet code is likely to require tearing apart the wall in my office (again).  So, it could be Christmas by the time we're done after all...


All material © 2012-2019 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

29 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We got a total of 0.3/inch of rain yesterday and last night, which really isn't too bad. There's a chance of more this evening but another round next week seems more likely. I hope you get some soon, Kathy!

      Delete
  2. Oh Kris. I'm glad you got rain, but that is such disheartening news about the remodel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overheard the first part of the inspector's conversation with our general contractor and was so perturbed that, after cluing my husband in to the substance of it, I grabbed my stuff and exited to meet friends before I said something I'd regret.

      Delete
  3. Every little bit of moisture counts. Luckily your barrels were ready to catch it. So sorry re: your setbacks. It's surprising how little goes smoothly. Our carpet installers arrived this morning only to tell us they can't install carpet today as they have to glue down the metal strips to the concrete first. Glue takes 24 hours to set so they won't be back until next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Elaine. It seems the vague recollections I have of professional contractors are either a thing of the past or an utter delusion. Only the cabinetmaker met my expectations of a service professional during this remodel. I hope your carpet installation goes smoothly from here out.

      Delete
  4. Your setbacks are so frustrating, especially as both could potentially have been avoided if people had done things differently. And having to tear down new walls is just too much.
    Hang on in there Kris. You're so close to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most frustrating thing, Jessica, is that, at the start of the week, I actually thought we were crossing the finish line...

      Delete
  5. Rain is good, new plants are good, setbacks? not so good. :( Sorry, about that, I'd be wanting to strangle those workmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was ready to fire the flooring subcontractor a few weeks ago and I talked him down, but now I'm feeling much the same way about the stone guy and the electrician...

      Delete
    2. Good help is SO hard to find! ;)

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about the setback. That must be heartbreaking as the holidays are upon us.
    I'm glad you finally got some rain. I know how that is to wait and wait and wait for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was better than expected, which is, well, VERY unexpected.

      Delete
  7. So happy for you about the rain. It's wonderful that you're gathering the rainwater in your tanks! You're a good example for all of us. Sorry the remodel is taking longer than you expected. :( It seems they always do. We've had a torn up living room for 1 1/2 years now for flooring (although my husband is doing the work, so it's a little different--I can nag him, even though it doesn't really help. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are those Property Brothers when you need them?!

      Delete
  8. No rain for us yet ! We're supposed to get it first here in Norcal . There is a 'chance' of showers next Wednesday so fingers are crossed. I'm happy for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This last storm seems to have had a number of quirks associated with it, Kathy, including hijacking some subtropical moisture from the south. Do you read the California Weather Blog? Yesterday's post was interesting with respect to both northern and southern California: https://weatherwest.com/archives/6977

      Delete
  9. Tear down a new wall?????????? Incompetent electricians and stone masons. I am furious for you. All of your set backs give me pause as we are preparing to have our main bathroom remodeled. Our project won't begin until Feb or March. I dread it but our project is nothing compared to yours except that our tiny bathroom is the only one with a shower. ha...
    Your garden projects make me wish I could do something outside other than rake leaves.
    Fun watching and wondering about the neighbors project too.
    Have a good weekend anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say, Lisa, is that it may be useful to check out the general contractor's sub-contractors before proceeding, which we didn't do. I hope your project is fast and smooth!

      Delete
  10. Oh nooo! Such a bummer about the remodel hiccups... Before I read this post, I was so happy for you that they managed to finish the work with such perfect timing. I'm surprised the inspectors didn't catch the flub during the rough inspection, if it's within a wall... hmmm. On the other hand - yeay for rain!!! Fingers crossed you get more in short order. The new bed looks great, and would surely appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our general contractor implied that the city's "other" inspector wouldn't have made an issue of the electrical wiring. Flaky all around.

      Delete
  11. Oh Kris! The highs (rain!) and the lows (Christmas)...I am sorry. During our little bathroom in the basement construction project I quickly learned which inspector to dread seeing pull up. One was easy going and helpful and the other made problems where there were none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we've had concerns with the electrician's work from the beginning but I'm going to trust that it'll work out - eventually.

      Delete
  12. Oh, always something. So disappointing. Surprised the wiring was not inspected before they closed the walls in. That's how they did it here. Hope it all resolves for you correctly.

    We got maybe .3" here as well, but the next storm coming Wednesday looks like it will be much more generous with the rain. Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised the wiring issue wasn't addressed earlier too but maybe the contractor's reference to the "other inspector" is pertinent. I have another garden-related visit scheduled for next Wednesday so that just about guarantees another rainstorm!

      Delete
  13. Yaaaaaay- good news about the rain but sorry to hear about the building woes Kris. It must be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've calmed down since mid-week but I'm still not happy.

      Delete
  14. GRRRRRRRRR, sorry to hear about your delays. Wouldn't it be a nice Christmas present by the universe if your project were finally done by then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our contractor says they'll be here on Wednesday or Thursday this week to finish up, although there's no word when the city inspector will be popping in to see if the electrical work passes muster on the second round. The contractor's original goal was Halloween...

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.