Monday, June 17, 2019

In a Vase on Monday: The Dahlias have Arrived!

Well, the first blooms on Dahlia 'Enchantress' have arrived in any case.  There are buds on 'Labyrinth' too and at least 4 other dahlias look as though they're preparing to set buds while several more have produced promising foliage.  Only the 'Shockwave' and 'Ben Huston' tubers I planted failed to sprout.  I'm in the process of pulling out the spring flowers in my cutting garden so I can get the remaining dahlias out of their temporary pots and into the ground where they can spread their roots.

'Enchantress' was unfurling a third bloom but I thought it was still too tight to open fully after the stem was cut so I made due with 2 stems

I was pleased to find that my Renga lilies (Arthropodium cirratum) nicely complemented the dahlias

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Dahlia 'Enchantress', Abelia grandiflora 'Edward Goucher', Digitalis purpurea, Arthropodium cirratum, Dorycnium hirsutum, and Fuchsia magellanica 'Hawkshead'


Another of my favorite summer flowers, Eustoma grandiflorum (aka lisianthus), also produced its first blooms last week so of course I had to create a second vase.

Although several stems of the blue lisianthus had blooms, I could only bring myself to cut one.  My recollection is that the unopened buds don't usually unfurl if the stem is cut prematurely. 

I filled out the arrangement with my beautiful ruffled Shasta daisies, as well as some of the spring blooms currently facing eviction from my cutting garden

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Eustoma grandiflorum (lisianthus), Consolida ajacis (aka larkspur), Leucanthemum x superbum (Shasta daisy), Globularia x indubia (aka globe daisy), and Nigella papillosa 'Starry Night' (aka love-in-a-mist)


You may have noticed that our kitchen is still intact.  We finally have our construction permit and late last week we had the small amount of asbestos found in our attic removed.  Work on the footing for the kitchen extension should begin later this week.  In the meantime, we've packed up everything but the furniture in the living room, as well as half the contents of the kitchen.  We're getting closer to demolition but, with the slow roll on the project, I'm afraid the remodel won't be done by Christmas.

Meanwhile, my vases sit on the remaining items of furniture in the dining room and front entry, surrounded by boxes


For more "In a Vase on Monday" posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


All material © 2012-2019 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

26 comments:

  1. Gosh, what a long drawn out procedure this new kitchen is proving to be, but I am sure it will be worth it. At least your garden can carry on regardless (unless it is disturbed by building work, but I hope not)providing you with endless blooms for your vases. The Enchantress dahias are so pretty, but show me a blue lisaintus and you know I will be smitten!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While my husband and I expected some bureaucratic headaches with our remodel, I don't think either of us envisioned it would take one full year to go from conception to the start of work. The number of hoops we had to jump through and parties from whom we had to secure permission to proceed bordered on the ridiculous. My garden's already been impacted somewhat as both patios had to be completely cleared but I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly, that was the worst of the impact.

      Delete
  2. Your blue bouquet is lovely and you are right about the lilies complementing the Enchantress dahlia well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about your remodel... these things never seem to run on time or budget, alas. Someone once told me that we could plan on 30% longer and 30% over budget– what??? >:( I hope you are the exception!
    At least you have your garden to distract you and can fill the house with pretty flowers. I never planted dahlias this year and I know I am going to regret it, seeing your lovelies here with the Renga lilies. The purples in #2 are pretty as well. Is that a new vase? I don't remember seeing it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great eye for detail, Eliza! I picked up that little blue vase well over a year ago but I believe this is the first time I've used it. As to the remodel, the process of getting to this point is not auspicious but I can and will hope that we're through the roughest patch.

      Delete
  4. Love the Dahlias (I have some that have come up for the fourth time and never flowered, or gotten over 6" tall) I think that is my favorite arrangement in your Ginkgo vase. And you have made me desire some of those Shasta Daisies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ruffled Shasta daisies are a favorite of mine for many reasons. The wispy petals take them up a notch.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, that blue and white combination is outstanding. I love those daisies. They look so exciting and excited. ha.... Hooray for the dahlias. They are busters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias have improved my entire view of summer, Lisa. Before I grew them, I considered summer the bleakest period in my garden.

      Delete
  6. Trying so hard not to be jealous of your lisianthus. Beautiful along with its vase companions. Wonderful to have dahlias already. I planted some but most have not survived--fingers crossed for the rest. Bunnies are very interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunnies eat dahlias too? I guess they'll eat anything given a chance. Fortunately for us - and unfortunately for the bunnies - the hawks and the coyotes generally "remove" the bunnies well before summer's arrival. I hope your remaining dahlias overcome any and all obstacles, Susie.

      Delete
  7. Dahlias already? How lovely. I have plenty of buds. I have 100 seed grown dahlias in pots and I am excited to see their flowers. But then I suppose I will have to give most of them away as 100 is rather too many. I have just bought a lovely Abelia with golden leaves. Every time I see your Renga liles I covet them.I love the lisianthus I wish I could grow it.Your blue arrangements are always so pretty. Good luck with the renovations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One hundred seed-gown dahlias! Chloris, that's over the top, even knowing of your impressive propagation skills. Even though I lost some tubers this year, both during storage and after planting in temporary pots, I have more sprouted dahlias than I have room to plant out so I may be offering neighbors an opportunity to adopt a few but that'll still leave me with only a dozen plants. Re the lisianthus (Eustoma), I've learned that some growers here are offering pelleted seeds which are reportedly easier to germinate. They still need a greenhouse environment so I haven't tried them but I expect that development has contributed to their greater availability in nurseries here.

      Delete

  8. 103/5000
    Hello Kris,
    The flower arrangements are beautiful!
    I liked the composition of colors.
    Good continuation of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More beautiful flowers from your garden Kris! I love that Renga lily, I haven't seen those before. And your blue vase is glorious - gorgeous colour at the centre of the globe daisy - that's a new one on me too! Your vases are always a revelation to me! You have challenging times ahead with your building work, but I am sure all the beauties in your garden will keep you sane! Nothing like some time spent in the garden to get one's equilibrium reinstated!! A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my garden will be a refuge from the noise and mess commonly associated with remodeling, Amanda. The fact that the project is kicking off now as summer begins (after nearly a year laying the groundwork) is an issue if our temperatures soar above 100F (38C) as often happens here. Under those conditions, I generally confine my outdoor activities to early morning and early evening.

      Delete
  10. Too too gorgeous for words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I've come to adore dahlias. 'Enchantress' has managed to transform herself from magenta to purple as she ages.

      Delete
  11. Dang, those are gorgeous bouquets. I have Arthropodium cirratum in my garden. It survived last winter but it's only marginally hardy here. I would love to use it in a bouquet like you have. Wowzers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthropodium cirratum has been the best dry shade plant I've found, Grace. Luckily for me, it likes my soil and climate.

      Delete
  12. From my perspective - Dahlia's definitely make it feel as if summer has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, Hans! They've changed my outlook on the dog days of summer, which used to be the dullest period in my garden.

      Delete
  13. Your dahlias are gorgeous! I tried growing them once but found earwigs a problem, nibbling the petals. It is also good to see the Eustoma again - what a lovely flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck, earwigs! Possibly the ugliest bug on earth. I've never seen them in my dahlias but they've infested my artichokes in prior years.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.