Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Wednesday Vignette: Too much of a good thing?

In October 2014, I picked up a one-gallon pot of Barleria obtusa at my local botanic garden's fall plant sale.  In 2015, it had reached a modest size and flowered nicely.  In 2016, it looked even better but in 2017 I began to have some concerns that it might be a trifle too exuberant.  However, I adore plants with blue flowers and the Barleria blooms profusely so I was willing to forgive a lot.



At the end of its bloom period last November, I cut my largest plants back hard, even as I transferred some of their seedlings to new areas.  Despite being cut to a height of 6 inches or less, the original plants have already exceeded their mature size last year.

This one had begun to engulf the Echium webbii next to it so I cut it back for a second time in July


Plants that were mere seedlings last year have also assumed a respectable size.

This was a tiny seedling last year


And I continue to find seedlings all over my garden.

Every time I cut something back or clean up and area, I find more Barleria seedlings.  I've considered transplanting some of these on my ugly, neglected back slope to see if they can survive even there.  They have a reputation for being very drought tolerant.


But when I saw this I began to wonder if perhaps I've made this plant too welcome in my garden.

If it looks like this plant's in a cage, that's because it is.  But I didn't put it there.


Pulling back a bit, here's a better view of where I found this seedling.

This chimenea was left behind by the prior homeowner.  I had an Aloe striata in a pot sitting in front of the chimenea's grill and, while inspecting the battered aloe last week, I noticed a splash of green color in the background.


At one time I had a vague plan to use the chimenea as a plant container but that task never rose to the top of my project list.

I'd made do with topping the chimenea's smoke vent with a pot of Euphorbia 'Sticks on Fire'


I haven't decided what to do with either the chimenea or the plentiful supply of Barleria seedlings I have on hand but I feel as though a pushy Mother Nature is nudging me along.

This is my Wednesday Vignette.  For others, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. Wow! You've often complained that you can't get California poppies to self-sow in your garden. This is the kind of behavior I get from them in my garden. I guess only you can decide if it's good or bad. I like your idea of trying them out on your evil back slope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That the seedling inside the chimenea got sufficient moisture to germinate and grow is what most amazes me.

      Delete
  2. Well that must be an interesting change, something that is possibly doing too well! I've had to start controlling several plants I welcomed that became a bit too prolific and started causing problems. It's a personal choice you'll have to make. The back slope seems like a good place for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foliage is emerald green and attractive even when the plant isn't in flower, which would be a glorious change on the back slope, which is truly hideous during the summer months. As even the lemon tree dropped all its fruit in response to the nuclear heatwave in early July, I've had no reason to depress myself by even going down there - I'm trusting that the tree will survive on the automatic irrigation it receives.

      Delete
  3. Isn't that always the way: either things are dying on us or going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could pick what's going to go crazy! Actually, I like the Barleria a lot - I just haven't allocated quite enough space to accommodate it in the main areas of the garden.

      Delete
  4. Plant exuberance isn't always bad, esp. with such a pretty plant/flower. At least these come out easily... imagine if they were stoloniferous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seedlings do indeed come out easily, Eliza. The only problem is, like the mimosa seedlings, they're sneaky about hiding themselves.

      Delete
  5. At least it has a beautiful blue flower and isn't the nasty vine weed. Maybe it love the hot, dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem ideally suited to our climate, Cindy!

      Delete
  6. It seems that it’s hardly ever the plants one would love to have self seed that actually do it! Relegating your Barleria to the horror slope sounds like a good idea. It must really fling its seeds around and deserves admiration for taking root in the body of the chimineya, which looks really good, by the way, as a garden ornament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't think how the seedling got inside that chimenea, Jane. The nearest Barleria plants are a considerable distance away and the chimenea's grate was closed, a good-sized plant sat in front of the grate, and its stove pipe was blocked. Then I real Lisa's comment (below) - perhaps a bird wiggled in there and deposited the seed. How it got sufficient moisture to germinate is perhaps an even bigger question.

      Delete
  7. I throw weeds, twigs etc into our chimenea and eventually burn them. The wrens pop in and out of the Chimenea looking for morsels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a high risk fire area, Lisa, I'm reluctant to use the chimenea, even under supervision. Your comment about birds popping into it may well account for the origin of the seed, though. The grate was clamped shut in front of the cavity but I suppose small birds could squeeze in. Or maybe lizards carry seeds too?

      Delete
  8. That IS a hard call! The blue of the blooms is so pretty, and the plant, itself, is lovely. But it's a bit concerning when the seedlings are that aggressive. I wonder if keeping it only in pots might be a way to handle it? That's what I do with English Ivy. Wow, that "Sticks on Fire" in the chimenea looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling increasingly compelled by the idea of planting it on my back slope, Beth. That area really does look hideous much of the year and the exceptionally bad heatwaves like the one we had in early July even destroy large sections of ivy on the upper portion, which is too steep for me to do much with (without a bucket of money and several mountaineers). The ivy comes back eventually, usually about the same time another nuclear heatwave hits. I'm wondering if Barleria can choke out ivy. In any case, it'd be prettier.

      Delete
  9. To the slope with you (it)!!! Unless it might easily get from there into a neighbor or two’s property?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I hadn't considered whether it might creep into neighboring areas from the slope. I suspect it'll struggle just to survive there. One neighbor's area is blocked by both a fence and a hedge and she tends her raised veg planters regularly so I doubt there'd be a problem there. The other neighbor's area could be a different matter but the adjoining area is mostly wild and filled with non-irrigated ivy so it's probably not a high risk.

      Delete
  10. The back slope sound like the perfect place for such exuberance! I find that plants that are a problem in the garden often only just cope in a difficult area so its really a win, win situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything - even succulents - struggles to survive down there so I'm not expecting it'll transform the entire space all by itself, although the idea of a blue-flowered hillside is nice to dream about.

      Delete
  11. Barleria obtusa is certainly happy in your garden. The seedling growing in your chimenea made me smile. Definitely mother nature being a bit pushy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't pulled that particular seedling out yet as it amuses me too, Peter. I'm toying with the idea of properly planting a larger clump of Barleria in the chimenea versus finding a more fire-like plant to fill it - or, I could just dither about a decision long enough for the Barleria seedling to bulk up on its own.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.