The first involved cleaning up an area of the front garden badly damaged by the early July heatwave. I resisted the urge to cut back the damaged foliage of my Acacia 'Cousin Itt' but I went ahead and pulled out the clover and Santa Barbara daisies (Erigeron karvinskianus) that were incinerated when the temperature hit 110F and stayed there for hours. I also cut back 2 mint bushes (Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata') that looked spindly and sad well before the heat struck - they have short lives here and I don't really expect them to come back. I focused on adding topsoil and soil amendments in the hope of creating a good foundation for replanting come fall.
|Lots of bare space now for planting when the weather cools. The Acacia 'Counsin Itt', Arthropodium cirratum, Pennisetum 'Rubrum', Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset', and probably the Artemisia 'Seafoam' will stay.|
|I'm not sure about the Phormium 'Tom Thumb' or the Pelargoniums.|
My second project was seed sowing. Encouraged by a small success in getting a few Ferraria crispa seeds to germinate, I sowed seeds I'd recently collected from my Pacific Coast Irises (Iris douglasiana). It remains to be seen whether I'll be successful in getting any of these plants to grow but my fingers are crossed.
I continued to work on rehabbing my succulent containers too. I made a second trip to the succulent nursery I visited last week. I hadn't planned to visit again so soon but one does what one must.
|A friend joined me on this visit. These are views of the larger succulents and cacti growing in full sun.|
|The nursery has a large collection of healthy houseplants too|
|I checked out the bromeliads this time but decided to hold off on buying anything as there's a bromeliad show scheduled this weekend that's likely to offer better deals|
|The nursery has a surprisingly large collection of Sansevierias. I brought home one of those on the far right.|
I selected plants for 2 pots that needed rehab. So far, I've replanted just one, a hover dish planter positioned outside my lath (shade) house. Once again, I mixed cuttings from my own garden with newly purchased plants.
|The Agave lophantha 'Quadicolor', Portulacaria afra, Rhipsalis (maybe R. burchellii), and noID Echeverias came from the nursery. I filled in mostly with cuttings of Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' and 'Kiwi Verde' from my garden.|
|In retrospect, I think the composition is busy but, as the Agave's likely to pup, I can remove Aeoniums to make room as needed|
The biggest garden project this week was my husband's. He designed and constructed removable shade covers for my lath house. My hope is that they'll prevent the kind of damage the plants there received when the sun went supernova in July. My husband installed the covers this afternoon and I spent hours before dinner cleaning up the space. More on that to come in a future post. For now, best wishes for a great weekend.
All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party