Friday, May 25, 2018

Immersion in Lucinda Hutson's Joyous Spirit (Garden Bloggers' Fling)

Another of the gardens I looked forward to seeing as part of the 2018 Garden Bloggers' Fling was that of Lucinda Hutson.  I'd seen photos of Lucinda's garden a few times on-line and I knew it was colorful, special and unique but nothing had prepared me for the experience of immersing myself in it.  Afterwards, I tried to find words to categorize it for myself and to describe it to friends but I couldn't come up with anything that fit.  An explosion of color?  Yes, but not descriptive of its spirit.  A poetic expression of Mexico's culture?  Yes, but that doesn't capture its effervescence.  Alice in Wonderland, Texas?  Maybe.

Lucinda's house was impossible to miss once our bus pulled onto her street.

Even with a few brightly painted houses nearby, Lucinda's purple house stands out


The front garden was packed with herbs, succulents, and flowers.  There wasn't a blade of grass in sight but there were 2 seating areas.




We'll come back to the front of the house and take a brief tour inside but first let's proceed, as most of the bloggers did, through a gate into the back garden.  Lucinda calls the area immediately inside the gate her "Mermaid Lounge."

That agave is growing out of the top of a stone wall, balanced over a small pond

Mermaids like to hang out in groups it seems




Leaving the Mermaid Lounge, I found another seating area featuring "Our Lady of La Tina" (bathtub).  Chairs for children decorate a bright yellow wall on the other side of the walkway, which also bears a plaque that says "Mi Casa Es Su Casa."




More bright colors can be found in a purple wall nearby, decorated in exuberant detail.


These curio cabinets bookended the stacked benches shown in the photo above


The "Kitchen Garden" picks up the same bright colors.

There's another nice seating area tucked into the corner against the wall (left) but, unlike virtually every other garden we toured during the course of the Fling, I didn't find bloggers sitting there or in any of the other spots available throughout the garden.  Intent on seeing all that there was to see in Lucinda's garden, no one seemed to stop moving.


Nearby, I found "La Lucinda Cantina," a party space.  Unfortunately, I didn't get photo of the area as a whole but I did photograph some of its details.

These included a tree festooned with tequila bottles, a metal mariachi, and an outdoor shower with posted rules.  A table with a bowl of colorful plastic glasses sat in the middle of a table, awaiting use.


Moving over to the other side of the garden, I stepped up on to a wood deck with a large dining table.

As you can see, literally everything was decorated


An office or, as Lucinda calls it, her "cathedral for writing" occupies a small structure next to the outdoor dining area.  Enchanting as the inside of her house is (we're coming to that!), I liked her office even more.  I count myself a quasi-minimalist when it comes to interiors (not gardens!) but this space looked warm and comfortable to me.



Decoration of one kind or another was everywhere in the garden area.

Colorful glass marbles functioned as grout between walkway paving stones.  Mosaic decorated the windows.


But, as well curated as the garden was, the interior of the house was even more so.  Let's walk back through the front door.



And into the house.

These photos show either side of the narrow alcove just inside the front door.  The light was poor for photos but I hope you can see its charm.

This was the front room

This is the dining room

This is the kitchen

And this is the view through the back door.  My cat should be so lucky to have a cat door like that!


As we leave, we bid goodbye not just to Lucinda but also to her companion, Sancho.

Lucinda showed us how she'd carved her cat's name in the pad of an Opuntia.  As the scratched area heals, Sancho's name will be immortalized there.


If you'd like more information on Lucinda and her garden you can find her site here and a great post by Diana Stoll Kirby, one of the 2018 Garden bloggers' Fling organizers, here.  Lucinda has written at least 3 books, the latest entitled Viva Tequila!: Cocktails, Cooking and Other Agave Adventures, which you can find here.

Best wishes for a colorful and adventuresome weekend!


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party




28 comments:

  1. Kris, I love how you captured the details that make Lucinda's garden and home the gem that it is. I didn't make it inside the house, so I really enjoyed your photo's documenting. Sancho...he was such a charming prince. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cats and this one was indeed a prince! He wasn't at all perturbed to have 45+ people wandering through "his" space.

      Delete
  2. Given how much I love colorful kitsch in my own garden, I really am sorry I missed out on seeing Lucinda's garden. I've seen so many posts about it over the years, it's almost like I've been there many times. Love the mermaid lounge, although it does look kind of overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected to be overwhelmed by the entire space, Alison, but was pleasantly surprised to find I was not. It felt like walking through an art piece or being immersed in a book.

      Delete
  3. Truly the garden of an artist. Eclectic and unique, it is a wonderful expression of her creative force. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This garden was so unique, and I loved that you captured the agave light in the dining room. And who can forget sancho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sancho ruled the roost right beside Lucinda I think, Renee! Or at least he acted as though he did.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you caught so much of Lucinda's gorgeous garden and house in such a short time! And it was fabulous to meet you at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great to meet you too, Linda! I love Central Texas Gardener and wish Los Angeles has something like it.

      Delete
  6. You got some great shots considering how full of garden bloggers her garden was. BTW, the post by Diana that you linked to is Diana Stoll, not Diana Kirby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Thanks for the clarification, Pam. I've made the correction. Diana (Stoll) had much better photos than I did!

      Delete
  7. It is fun to see this garden through others eyes. It is busy and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That truly was a special place, wasn't it, Kris?! You got a great photo of the front of the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took at least 5 photos of the front of the house at different times but never quite managed one without other bloggers in it. Diana Stoll (Garden with Diana) and Gerhard Boch (Succulents and More) both got better shots. Gerhard's photo shows Lucinda in the doorway!

      Delete
  9. This garden and house style is so unique I don't know if there is a category for it. I hope you didn't show your cat the photo of the cat door, Kris, nobody wants a jealous kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure Pipig is capable of true jealousy, Sue - she believes herself to be the center of the universe, or at least the one known to her.

      Delete
  10. You had me at purple house. Then the garden, the cat and the kitsch! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very unusual house and garden! For my German eyes it looks more Mexican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucinda Hutson has studied Mexican culture and has styled her home and garden to reflect it, Sigrid, so your assessment is accurate!

      Delete
  12. Wow! This home and garden exudes the joyful, artistic spirit of its owner. Of course, I really know nothing about her, but I would be shocked if she were some dowdy, depressed person! It must have been so much fun to examine all the details. Wishing you the best, and thanks for covering the Garden Blogger's Fling. I hope to get to one myself some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check Lucinda's own webpage, Deb. She's a vibrant person to say the least!

      Delete
  13. A magnificent, colorful collage of fabulousness. I love the warmth, humor, and fun the entire creation exudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "colorful collage of fabulousness" is another great description, Peter!

      Delete
  14. I loved your introduction, searching for a way to describe this. Looks like a fun garden to visit. It's nice when the gardener's personalty comes through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very engaging garden to be sure, Susie. Despite its small size, I didn't see anyone lounging on the sidelines at any point during the tour, as seems to the norm in most other locations.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.