Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Foliage Follow-up: Gray Shades

I have just a few offerings for this month's Foliage Follow-up Day, hosted by Pam at Digging.  Most of what I have to share comes in shades of gray.

Dorycinium hirsutum (aka Hairy Canary Clover), preparing to bloom

Grevillea lavandulacea 'Penola', finished with its blooms, still offers an attractive foliage display along a pathway

Ordinary Helichrysum petioare 'White Licorice' and Festuca glauca 'Elijah Blue' weave together

Senecio vitalis (aka Blue Chalk Fingers) mingling with Rosemary and Osteospermum

A mass of Lamb's Ear (Stachys byzantina) creates a visual break between flower colors

Cercis occidentalis backed by Ceanothus

New growth adds color to a Leucadendron (no ID)

For more foliage posts, please visit the Digging site.  Thanks, Pam, for hosting.

10 comments:

  1. Such lovely blue foliage, especially that Cercis with the reddish-purple stems. Your Grevillea looks enormous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid the Grevillea may become to large for it's current placement along that path. I'm trying to let it stretch up and clip it lightly on the sides to keep it from grabbing visitors but only time will tell if that's a successful strategy...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's great for creating visual breaks between colors, isn't it? thanks for visiting, Hoover Boo.

      Delete
  3. I adore the white licorice plant and blue fescue combo. I grow them both, but it never occurred to me to put them together! I certainly will in the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the helichrysum won't completely swamp the fescue but only time will tell...

      Delete
  4. I too think that Helichrysum/Festuca combo is fabulous! Beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simplest plants make the best combinations, don't they? Like you, I've been experimenting with red and gray combinations. There's a plum-colored loropetalum positioned just above the helichrysum.

      Delete
  5. I am a huge silver foliage fan, so this post is right up my alley. That 3rd photo looks like an undersea world, with sea urchins and seaweed -- so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend gave me the Senecio just after we moved in and I plunked it in that spot for lack of other inspiration but it fits in well and I've begun taking cuttings to fill in nearby. Thanks for visiting, Pam.

      Delete