My current inventory of dahlias is somewhat depleted at the moment. As I've been cutting so many flowers to give away of course I've fewer available when it comes to prepare my weekly "In a Vase on Monday" post. While I don't regret the giveaways, I do regret my failure to photograph them before I pass them along, especially when I've yet to feature them on my blog. One that's previously received little more than a nod is
'Omega', another one in the "dinner plate" category. However, I managed to come up with four of the flowers this week to include in my own vase.
 |
| 'Omega' has been described online as a "sunset blend of peach, coral, apricot, rose and yellow" and it really does glow in an arrangement |
 |
| Rear view of the vase featuring 'Benary's Giant Salmon Rose' Zinnias |
 |
| Overhead view |
 |
| Clockwise from the upper left care: Dahlia 'Omega', Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Salmon Rose', Lotus berthelotii (aka parrot-beak), Leucadendron 'Jester', and Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum'. The latter has been very useful as a filler this year. |
 |
| Arrangement in place accompanied by my prop, a mouse flying a butterfly |
'Omega' wasn't my first choice for today's arrangement. I'd wanted to feature Dahlia 'Snowball' paired with Dahlia 'Honeymoon' but I had only two of the former currently in bloom and I discovered that 'Honeymoon' only had buds left after my last giveaway, so that combination will have to wait awhile yet. However, I did cut a couple 'Snowballs' for a small vase in the kitchen.
 |
| Front view of that vase showing Dahlia 'Snowball' and the back view showing Tanacetum 'Aureum' and Zinnia 'Oklahoma White' |
For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at
Rambling in the Garden to see what she and other devotees of this meme found to share this week.
All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party
I said it before, I'll say it again: "🎶 would you be my neighbor?" It would make my week to received a bunch of Dahlias from a neighborhood gardener, an absolute delight. No doubt there will be giveaways to photograph in the future.
ReplyDelete'Omega's color blend is very 'sunset'-like: mesmerizing. Lotus berthelotii is a wonderful addition.
Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum' makes me smile: each flower with a different number of petals...
Chavli
I'd love to be your neighbor, Chavli! I floated the idea of moving to the PNW off and on for years, and even had an offer to relocate me if I so wished in one work situation many years ago. That wasn't going to work with my husband's career at the time, though, and life interfered in later years. I'm afraid we're stuck in SoCal.
DeleteThe pairing with Leucadendron 'Jester' is perfection! Snowball is so frilly, I love that.
ReplyDeleteI do love 'Snowball', Tracy - I just wish it'd be more cooperative with its timetable!
DeleteYes, tz is spot-on about the dahlia and leucadendron pairing, and we all know you do this colour so well in your vases. Love the little white one too
ReplyDeleteLeucadendron 'Jester' fits well with a lot of plants. I wouldn't be without it!
DeleteTZ is right, 'Omega' and Leucadendron 'Jester' were made to go together.
ReplyDeleteThey're both great plants ;)
DeleteBeautiful! Are the Dahlias as big as dinner plates? Amelia
ReplyDeleteSalad plates maybe in this case, Amelia ;) This one's a good size but not as large as the flowers of 'Break Out' at their peak.
Delete"peach, coral, apricot, rose and yellow" are the best colors of summer.....unfortunately the dahlia I had ordered in those colors was mislabeled and a different very deep wine color is growing instead...hopefully next year. I love how you displayed them!
ReplyDeleteSadly, it does seem that some growers/suppliers have become sloppy when filling orders of dahlia tubers, Donna. If a bit pricier, Swan Island has been more dependable than the second supplier I usually order from (which I won't name here).
Delete