The persistent heat has a taken toll on both the garden and the gardener. According to climatologists, the problem at present here isn't so much the daytime peaks in our temperatures as the fact that we're not seeing the drops in the evening and nighttime temperatures we're used to, and which we rely on to provide relief. We finally got a break in the daytime highs on Sunday with temperatures falling from the mid-90s (35C) to upper 80s (30C) along the coast but it remains to be seen whether the nighttime temperatures will show a similar decline.
There are still dahlias in my cutting garden but there are fewer varieties making an appearance. Nonetheless, I was able to cobble together two arrangements this week. The first was headlined by another flush of Dahlia 'Labyrinth' with a few assists from some bit players.
| Overhead view |
| Arrangement in place in the front entry |
The second arrangement was comprised of a group of dahlias I've largely ignored this season.
| Back view: I threw in 3 other dahlias to fill out the arrangement |
| Overhead view |
| As our dining table has been taken over with various therapy materials these days, secondary floral arrangements have been consigned to the kitchen island |
I've cleaned up the plants in my cutting garden that have suffered most from the combination of heat and mildew but it's not at all certain that will give them the boost they require to carry on through September. There's little in the way of new floral content on the horizon at the moment. I may have to turn to succulents soon, although even those plants are also looking battle weary at this point.
To find more IAVOM contributions, be sure to check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.
All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party
No comments:
Post a Comment
I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.