Monday, July 27, 2026

In a Vase on Monday: It's still hot

The weather hasn't gotten any better here since last week.  It's still miserably hot and humid, and I remain closeted in the house most days. I attempted some minor chores in the heat late Saturday afternoon but I held out for only an hour.  On Sunday, I took a twenty minute walk in the early morning, cut some flowers, and that was it for the day.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any relief in the ten-day forecast either.  However, the dahlias remain a source of beauty, even if the gardener is a sad sack.

All my dahlias have now at least made an appearance.  I handed off nearly a dozen stems of 'Break Out' to a friend up the street a couple days ago, yet that plant is still so top heavy it threatens to topple over in its half-barrel container.  Nonetheless, this week for In a Vase on Monday, I cut flowers from other plants that showed up more recently.

The dahlias featured in this arrangement are 'Mikayla Miranda', one of my favorites among those I've previously grown, and 'Table Dancer', which is new to me.  It took me a little time to warm up to the latter as that one starts out a dingy white before it develops purplish streaks, although mine aren't as vivid as many I've seen in online photos.

Back view: I used foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) again this week to fill out the vase

Overhead view

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase contains: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Dahlia 'Mikayla Miranda', D. 'Table Dancer', Digitalis purpurea, Tanacetum partheneum 'Aureum', and Zinnia 'Oklahoma Ivory'

As usual, the arrangement landed in the front entry


I cut a few blooms from another dahlia for a second small arrangement too.  This one is called 'Nicholas'.  I love its shape and color, although its foliage isn't looking all that spiffy.

I supplemented the 3 butterscotch-colored dahlias with more Tanacetum 'Aureum' and a couple stems of Lotus berthelotii  


For other IAVOM creations, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to discover what she and other contributors have to share this week.


All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. Mikayla Miranda is always lovely when you highlight it. There is something about the 2nd one, maybe the addition of Tanacetum 'Aureum' that makes it endearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the 'Nicholas' Dahlia - I just wish it were healthier but I'm afraid it's already succumbed to mildew in our current swampy conditions.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely complement of blooms you have put together in your first vase, Kris, but your second and smaller vase is still charming in its own way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sweet sweet little arrangement! I hope the mildew doesn't damage the rest of its flowers.

      Delete
  3. Che colore incredibile queste dahlie lilla! Non mi sembra di aver mai visto un colore simile. Spero che il clima migliori presto da te, qui è molto caldo ma l'umidità non è molto alta quindi al mattino e alla sera il clima è vivibile. Non vedo l'ora di vedere il tuo giardino, magari dopo un po' di fortunata pioggia!

    Un caro saluto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dahlias are doing well this summer but this is not so with most of the rest of the garden. Unfortunately, Southern California rarely gets rain in summer. However, our summer heat usually comes without much humidity but that seems to be changing. Now it's HOT and HUMID!

      Delete
  4. My sympathies on the hot and humid weather, these are definitely the dog days of summer in LA. The dahlias seem to be thriving tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity that has accompanied the heat is tiresome to say the least, Denise. We're not used to that but it seems to be a sign of the new summer norm.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Deanne! I haven't seen you appear on the blog in a long time - we've missed you!

      Delete
  6. Those butterscotch hues are so appealing. I also like the shaggy cactus D. 'Table Dancer'. Sorry your weather has been so oppressive. It is frustrating to feel stuck inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the sticky heat had a clear end date it'd be easier to tolerate, Susie.

      Delete
  7. Those dahlias were worth the wait especially paired with the foxgloves. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the two, the late flush of blooms by the foxgloves feels like the bigger surprise, Donna.

      Delete
  8. You are having great success with your dahlias Kris. I don't know these varieties. Lovely arrangements. Climate change is reaching us all now. I have spent quite a lot of time hiding in the house this summer. This is the first time ever in this country that I have found the heat and humidity too much. And the fires in France and Spain are horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been very sad to see all the uncontrolled fires in France and Spain, as well as Canada. Hopefully, they will galvanize action in Europe. Unfortunately, we can't expect the current US administration to take constructive action, much less exercise leadership.

      Delete
  9. Your first Dahlia arrangement is so fresh and lively, I love the color combination of bloom and greenery. It is shocking your foxgloves are still available; mine are all done and discarded before they go to seed.
    The second vase is easily in the running for best display. 'Nicolas' is richly colored, I'm a sucker for orange. Tanacetum 'Aureum' and Lotus are excellent choice for companions! I love it!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll get a lot more flowers out of 'Nicholas' despite its mildew problem, Chavli. My fault - I should have taken preventive action but I didn't expect the high humidity would present the issue it has.

      Delete
  10. Your dahlias are truly gorgeous and I find it amazing that you can combine them with Digitalis which flower so much earlier in our part of the world. The bouquets are beautiful! And you're certainly not a "sad sack", you made me chuckle. The humidity makes it so difficult, doesn't it. Here at least the air is drier and thankfully better today as the wind has changed. I hope you have some good books to get you through this tough weather. Keep your chin up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The late Digitalis blooms came as a surprise to me too - they usually flower much earlier in the year here too. Humidity this extreme and persistent is unusual - Southern California is known for its dry summer heat. I fear that climate change is at fault, and that we can't depend on this being a passing thing.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful vases as always Kris. I'm still waiting for my first dahlia flower to open so it's lovely to gaze at yours. I'm not keen on the heat but when it's also humid it can become overwhelming. Most of my gardening activities this summer have taken place in the early morning or evening. Hopefully it will become a more tolerable temperature for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed on a weather shift, Anna, although there's no sign of it as yet!

      Delete
  12. Ah, I love 'Nicholas' and what you've done with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, 'Nicholas' is continuing to offer buds and I'll get more flowers despite the mildew!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.