Monday, July 20, 2026

In a Vase on Monday: Going for broke

The dahlias are producing more flowers every day, but this week my eyes first fixed on the foxgloves that burst into bloom all at once in one area of my cutting garden.  I don't generally expect to see foxgloves in July as the heat usually takes them out much earlier.  So I cut them first and looked for dahlias that could back them up afterwards.  Before I was done, I'd cut three varieties of dahlias and some lilies to add to the mix.  The lilies were a real surprise as I'd almost given up on seeing any more of them this season.

The lily is 'Pretty Woman', planted 4 years ago.  I'd noted earlier that 2 stalks had withered in place before the flowers fully opened, presumably in response to too much heat and too little water, so the third stalk was a pleasant surprise.  The dahlias shown at the front of the vase are 'Admiral Rawlings' and 'XXL Veracruz'. 

The back view of the vase, which shows off 3 'Hartennas' collarette dahlias and a few stems of Polygala (aka sweet pea shrub), has it's own personality

Overhead view

Clockwise from the upper left: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Dahlia 'Hartennas', D. 'XXL Veracruz', D. 'Admiral Rawlings', Digitalis purpurea in purple and white forms, Polygala myrtifolia, and Lilium 'Pretty Woman'


It's been hot and humid here for the past week.  While our temperatures are no longer in the 90s (33C), it's still uncomfortable (mid-80sF/30C).  I try to get in my walks and any remotely strenuous garden activities done well before 10am if at all possible.  My garden is taking a beating as there's never sufficient time or energy to tackle everything, nor all the water the garden needs.  As the heat is on seemingly everywhere these days, I expect many of us are dealing with the same issues but, if you can't complain to other gardeners, who can you complain to?

Wherever you are, I hope you find a spot to cool off!  I know we're lucky to have air conditioning as many do not.  We're just closing our eyes to the electric bills for now.

For more IAVOM posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to find what she and others have found to fill their vases this week.

My vase in place in the front entry


All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


15 comments:

  1. I do love this arrangement a lot and not only because it's in one of my favorite vases of your collection.
    It seems plants will always and forever surprise us. Today those are good surprises. The cream-colored Foxglove is lovely (my Foxgloves are done too), and the Lily with that dainty swish of pale pink is a dreamboat. The dark Dahlia pulls all the 'frilly' elements together: this is one fabulous vase.
    The back view: a whole other look and feel: beautiful just not as dramatic :-D
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turned the vase around this morning just to give it's "side #2" fair time ;) As to the foxgloves, I wonder if I'll get another round from them before they're done? The 3 plants I had elsewhere in the garden (i.e NOT in the well watered cutting garden) all fried long ago without ever blooming.

      Delete
  2. This is a pretty one, the Foxglove is a great addition! The humidity is feeling especially gross to me, I'm not used to it. I AM thankful for AC, sleeping in a hot house at night is so uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity is certainly making summer more difficult this year! My friends that don't have AC are pretty miserable. Although we're also situated along the coast, we face the port and don't get the westerly winds they do, which usually keep them cool without AC - that's not true at the moment! I'm glad we upgraded our own AC system 6 years ago!

      Delete
  3. You always manage to grow such gorgeous foxgloves, Kris, with such full blooms - certainly not what one would expect from your location. It seems strange to read of you experiencing similar temperatures to ours (or is it the other way round?), although it is not as humid here as it was a few weeks ago, thankfully. Your dark dahlia is especially pretty and you have chosen equally pretty companions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foxgloves I grow in the coddled cutting garden do well but those I periodically try elsewhere do not! I tried them again in 2 other areas of the garden and those all croaked. As to the weather, it can get as hot as Hades here for extended periods. Even though we're situated on the coast, we don't get the westerly winds other parts of the coast gets. We were just lucky that the morning marine layers hung on longer than usual this year but that break seems to be over...

      Delete
  4. A beautiful vaseful of blooms Kris. Here my one foxglove this year is going over already and I must check the plant for seeds soon. I love your dark dahlia and the lily too. Here it has been an extremely hot summer although not as hot as is it is for you and I've also been struggling to keep on top of things ๐Ÿ˜ข We're thinking of purchasing a portable air conditioner for next year which is a course of action I thought that I would never consider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the world's climate is changing and not in a good way, despite denials on the part of a certain world leader and his short-sighted cronies. Southern California has always been hot during the summer months but the spike in humidity at the same time adds a new element of misery.

      Delete
  5. What a sight for sore eyes. All these yummy colors. Glad it cooled a bit. I too feel I am not getting much done in my garden given the weather, my energy and physical limits. Even a small garden takes a lot of effort. Thank goodness for my husband and his watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to have an automated irrigation system but it isn't appropriate to use it all the time (even if some people go over board). I save my collected rainwater but it runs out eventually and our rainfall isn't likely to return until October. Only my cutting garden gets a bit extra.

      Delete
  6. Wow, foxgloves in July! Ours are but a distant memory! LOL! They look so pretty with your dahlias. I really like the little ones at the back of the arrangement. Hope you can stay cool Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those "collarette" dahlias are very cute. The variety I'm growing this year seems to be mire vigorous than the one I tried last year too!

      Delete
  7. Love the soft pastels in the lily and the vibrant hue of the dahlias, ๐Ÿ˜ add foxglove and you've created yet another winning combination, Kris! July has been yet another month of extreme weather all over, hope yours returns to reasonable temps soon. We're enjoying a bit of respite from the heat and smoke, grateful for that. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know your're currently smoke free and I hope it stays that way, Eliza!

      Delete
  8. Oh, oh! I complained about the weather today too! I’m temporarily changing my lifestyle for the weather. I’m not showing up on your blog list again though.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.