Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Wednesday Vignette: Staying put awhile

I rarely sit down in my own garden to relax.  Neither do the resident hummingbirds.  Their constant movement makes it virtually impossible to catch a good photo of one.  However, as I was chatting with a friend on the phone, I glanced out my office window and noticed a hummingbird, just sitting on a branch of Leucadendron 'Pisa' and preening.  She came back to the same place shortly after I finished my call.  I had time to attach a telephoto lends to my camera and click several shots before she took off to chase a rival who dared to set down on another branch a few feet away.

I'm assuming the hummingbird is a female but it's possible it's an immature male.  Based on the presence of some rusty-colored feathers and the lack of any touches of pink feathers around the throat, I'm guessing it's an Allen's hummingbird.  Both Allen's and Anna's hummingbirds have a year-round presence here.

Preening in process

Her coloring blended well with the Leucadendron's silvery-green foliage.  The tall shrub's cones are almost the same size as the bird.

Even when resting, these birds are constantly alert to their surroundings

Maybe I need to follow the hummingbird's example and take the time to sit awhile myself and simply observe my surroundings.  Preening optional.

For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.  FYI, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day falls on Sunday this month.  At present, my plan is to publish that post on Saturday, August 14th.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. Great photos Kris! Sweet little bird. One kept me company while I was watering this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selasphorus sasin sedentarius is the sedentary subspecies of Allen’s Hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin). As the name implies, they’re the ones that hang out. Selasphorus sasin are migratory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that information was buried in the allaboutbirds.org profile.

      Delete
  3. She looks like she might have just had a bath. Hot day cool off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she took a bath in the nearby fountain, I wish I'd caught that!

      Delete
  4. Great pics Kris!
    Aren't they just the most enjoyable bird? I put out 5 feeders this year and 5 different annual salvias and they are here every 5 minutes or so. Much of the time they spend chasing each other away. But what I enjoy most is that they are getting a little friendlier every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're among my favorite birds, Cindy! They are feisty creatures. I have a photo (unfortunately of poor quality as it was taken from a distance) of one harassing a hawk!

      Delete
  5. Nice captures, Kris... hummers are feisty, they may be small, but they are mighty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed! In the past I've had them buzz me when I seemed to get to close but now they pretty much scoot around me. They love the Grevillea flowers and many others in my garden.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Kris, I think you deserve taking some time to sit and enjoy your beautiful garden. And some preening is definitely in order. I was smart enough to plant some salvias right in front of my porch so I get to see the hummingbirds up close every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are charming birds, despite - or perhaps because of - their feisty behavior. I hear "mine" even more often than I see them, as they buzz by seeking nectar from flowers when I'm deadheading them or when they're fixated on chasing rivals.

      Delete
  7. Great shots Kris, I love it when they perch where we can admire them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to settle all too infrequently, Loree. I was hoping the bird I photographed would make the tree outside my office window her regular perch but I haven't seen her since that day.

      Delete
  8. I think you're right - she's telling you something. You DO need to take some time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. A well-earned break, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall try to remember the hummingbird's message then, Anna!

      Delete
  9. Very sweet, Kris! I can watch them at length and not get one single photo! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fact that I was at a distance and behind glass prevented her from getting spooked, Kay. And the telephoto lens helped! The first shots I tried with my regular lens weren't clear.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful shots and great timing! I always seem to miss shots like this... by the time I've got the right lens on or turned on the camera, they've flown off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's generally my problem, Nikki. I seldom walk around with my telephoto lens attached unless I have a very specific - and usually stationary - subject I want to catch.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.