Friday, April 6, 2018

Wide Shots - April 2018

For a week now, we've been greeted by fog and low clouds each morning.  Most days, it hasn't even cleared by late afternoon.  However, the conditions did make it a bit easier to take photos for this quarter's wide shots post.  Just don't expect to see many sunny skies or clear views of the ocean or the Los Angeles Harbor.

I'll start as I usually do with the back garden and work my way in a roughly clockwise route around the house.

Back view looking out in the direction of Angel's Gate, the entrance to the Los Angles Harbor.  The "ever-purple" Ageratum corymbosum (right) has just begun its annual bloom cycle and the "dwarf" Echium webii (left of the fountain) is producing bloom stalks.

View from the south end of the back garden looking north toward the patio and the still leafless mimosa tree (Albizia julibrissin)

View from the patio looking toward the garden area on the north side of the house.  The Mexican tulip poppies (Hunnemannia fumarifolia, right foreground) are luminescent.

View looking south.  The plugs of creeping thyme (Thymus serphyllum 'Elfin') I planted around the flagstones in late November after we re-leveled the path have been slow to fill out.  Some plants in the border are now "caged" to protect them from the bunnies that recently made their presence known in the garden.


The path in the last photo takes us to the garden area on the south side of the house.

Succulents take up most of the area to the left of the path.  The bed on the right, currently lit up by the red flowers of Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset',  borders a small patio off the south side of the house.  The lath (shade) house in the distance sits at a lower level of the garden, reached by a path that swings down a moderate slope to the left of the arbor.

View from behind the succulent bed looking toward the backyard border.  The mass of green below the peppermint willow (Agonis flexuosa) on the right is Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt'.  You can see even more of the 'Amazon Sunset' Lotus on the left, punctuated by a few yellow blooms of Leucospermum 'Goldie'.

This is another view of the south-side garden looking east.  I still haven't cut back the clumps of Pennisetum 'Fireworks' visible on the right above the cement block retaining wall.  However, I cut back the Clematis paniculata that grew up the arbor in February.


If we continue on this level moving clockwise, we can see the front garden.

This photo was taken on the south end of the front garden looking north toward our garage.  There are 2 more clumps of Acacia 'Cousin Itt' in the foreground.


If instead of walking north we shift southwest, we look down into the lower-level area bordering the street on the west side.

The lath (shade) house my husband built for me sits in the corner of our lot on the southwest side.  I installed a path and plants behind the structure since January's wide shots post.

I also replaced the stone stepping stones that formerly bisected the area in front of the lath house with bark mulch


The street-facing succulent bed lies just beyond the lath house.

The rain in March helped the succulents flesh out but the ice plant ground cover isn't blooming yet.  The Xylosma congestum shrubs we planted in Spring 2016 are finally gaining size but it's going to be years before they close the gap in the hedge.  Meanwhile, another of the Auranticarpa rhombifolium shrubs which make up the right end of the hedge appears to be on the decline.


Moving back behind the street-side succulent bed, a narrow path runs behind the intact section of the Xylosma hedge toward the driveway at the front of the house.

The Aeonium arboreum that covers much of the west-facing front slope in this area is looking better after March's rainstorms

This photo shows the view of the west slope looking back to the south east.  Critters of some kind (I suspect skunks) have been digging up the area in the left foreground at least weekly but most of the bulbs I planted there still managed to bloom.  The Echium candicans 'Star of Madeira' in the background is beginning to develop bloom spikes.


Standing in the driveway provides a view of the front of the house.

I managed to get a photo of the house's face with a blue sky background late yesterday afternoon.  My only concern with the front garden is that the Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' shrubs on either side of the path to the front door have gotten very tall.  I'm thinking of taking a couple feet off the top of each one.


If we turn in the opposite direction, we see the garden area occupying the space between the garage and the street on the northwest side behind another section of Xylosma hedge.

This photo was taken at the same time as the last one, under a partially sunny sky.  We removed our last section of lawn from this area in January 2016 and I replanted it over several months later that year.   I'm still not entirely happy with it.  I may pull the sea lavender (Limonium perezii) in the foreground and replace it with more Moroccan daisies (Pyrethropsis hosmarianse), which look good in and out of bloom.  I like the purple Osteospermum and Polygala in the mid-section of the area but some of the other plants could stand to be swapped out.

This succulent bed sits on the northwest end of the area shown in the prior photo.  I renovated it last September and I'm pleased that it continues to fill in nicely.


Back in the driveway, I took a photo of the main area of the front garden looking back toward the south.  This is the only area for which I have a fairly decent "before" photo showing the change in the front garden's appearance since we took possession of the property.

The photo on the left was taken yesterday.  The photo on the right was taken by my brother in December 2011, one year after we moved in.


Turning back to the north, we move into the cutting garden on the other side of the garage.

With the exception of the sweet peas, which I think the bunnies nibbled to nubs, most of the seeds and plugs I planted this fall have finally begun to bloom.  However, as it's already time to get my dahlias started, I've got a space problem.  My husband and I picked up 2 half-barrels (foreground) to hold some of the dahlias.

Two half-barrels didn't provide anything near the space I needed for my dinner-plate dahlias so I planted other tubers in large plastic pots, which you can see in this view of the cutting garden.  This should give the plants a good start while I wait for space to free up in the raised planters.


We've almost completed the tour!  The next stop is a garden area on the northeast side of the house.

The Allium I planted here are coming up and the Osteospermum I added in February seem happy but most of the red and blue flax (Linum) seeds I sowed failed to sprout.  I relied too much on rain that didn't come to help them germinate

The path shown in the prior photo leads down to the back slope.  The fig tree (left foreground) produced its first leaves this week.  The peach tree in the background (to the right of the lemon tree) has yet to produce any flowers or leaves.  All the artichokes are doing well, though.

The Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Silver Magic' here mark the property line between us and our neighbors to the south.  Last year at this time, calla lilies and California poppies were in full bloom in this area.  This year, the calla lilies are small and just now sporting their first blooms and I found only one poppy plant, not yet in bloom.  On the positive side, Ceanothus arboreus 'Cliff Schmidt' is doing well, although it's still smaller than the Matilija poppy (Romneya coulteri) behind it even though I cut that back in January.  I look forward to the day the Ceanothus reaches tree height.

This is the view from the bottom of the slope looking back up the cement stairway.  The slope has very little color at this point.  Centranthus ruber (foreground, lower right) is just producing it's first blooms, as is Carpenteria californica.  The upper portion of the slope is still hideous but I've made a tentative start in cutting back the dead sections of ivy and honeysuckle.  That bare patch above the cement stairs is approximately 5 feet long and 4 feet wide.  It isn't easy work and I'm not sure how high up I can go without either crawling up there or risking a serious fall.  It's steep!  In any case, I stopped when the rains came in March, not wishing to destabilize the slope.  As dry weather has returned, I'll get back to it soon.  As I go, my plan is to reinforce the slope with stone or more cement blocks.


That's it for this quarter's wide shots.  As spring isn't yet at its height in some areas of the garden (probably due to the fact that we didn't get much of any rain until March), I may offer a few more wide shots in May but I'll otherwise be back with a full tour in July.

Enjoy your weekend!


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

35 comments:

  1. Love the way the pathways snake through, taking you on to a journey of discovery! Looking great as always, and so early in the season too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring comes early here, although I think flower color has been delayed a bit due to our light rain this winter and its late arrival. Unfortunately for us, summer also usually gets an early start.

      Delete
  2. Your lath house is a thing of beauty! Do you dig your Dahlia tubers for the winter? Surely they must be hardy in the ground there? Your garden looks wonderful! I would be afraid of working on that slope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias can indeed remain planted year-round here but, as I've relegated them to the cutting garden so I can meet their water needs during their growing season, I dug the tubers up last year to make way for other plants. I stored about half the tubers I grew last year and bought a handful of new varieties this year.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, you really do have quite the idyllic setting there! And an amazing plant collection! Thanks for the wide views and different angles. Interestingly, I had a different image of how the lath house sits on your property, so this helps me to visualize it better. I'm speechless, really. I'm going to go back to look at each photo in more detail. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, Beth! I'm always afraid they'll be tedious for readers but they provide me with a useful record to track changes in the garden.

      Delete
  4. It's just beautiful! YOu have so much to take care of and tend to...don't know how you do it! I love the photo before and afters from 2011 and now: always so interesting to see changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd taken good "before" photos before my husband and I started work on the garden in 2011 but that was before I started blogging and I just didn't think about it.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is huge! It looks great. I can see that you are busy all year through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lot is just over half an acre. That's bigger than average for Los Angeles but I'd had like to have a 2-acre lot. Unfortunately, there aren't many properties that size in this densely populated county and the cost would be prohibitive in any case.

      Delete
  6. You have such beautiful color and texture in your garden, Kris. Always a pleasure to tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure is looking great Kris, and the 2011 vs. now is so interesting-look at all that lawn ! It must be gratifying to look back and see all you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you exclude the back slope (which was mostly giant yucca, ivy and honeysuckle), I'd estimate that the original garden was somewhere between 2/3rds and 3/4ths lawn when we took possession in December 2010, Kathy. Looking at it now, with no lawn whatsoever, that's even hard for me to believe.

      Delete
  8. It's wonderful taking a trip around your garden with you Kris, even with the fog! I see your beautiful Lotus is still in flower- I happened to see one in a nursery after your last post and bought it. I hope I can get it through the frosty winter, but it's definitely worth a try. It's perhaps a case of trying to grow something unsuitable, but that's what we gardeners do rather often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lotus berthelotii has a long bloom season here, Jane - as I recall, it hung on well into summer last year (although there was also much more rain last year). I hope it does as well for you!

      Delete
  9. I am so continually impressed by the scale of your garden and how beautifully cohesive it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I fret that it's still hodge-podge so it's gratifying that you don't see it that way.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this garden review. I love so many of the views, and the paths are looking really nice. Inviting. I think doing it ourselves, as opposed to paying a designer big bucks to do it in one go, a bit of 'hodge podge' is inevitable, part of change and transition. It's like aiming for perfection but never getting there. And if we did get there, what would we do next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, I'd probably devote more time to the troublesome back slope, Sue! As that area's out of sight of the main garden, it's easy to get distracted fussing with the areas I see every time I walk out the door.

      Delete
  11. Somehow I've never really appreciated the form of your Albizia, it's wonderful. This was also a great view of how the lath house is situated in the garden as a whole. Also I must say...you're running out of room! Your garden is so beautifully full...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the wide shots hide the holes in the planting scheme - there are some, although I admit they're dwindling. The back slope provides opportunities, albeit ones that will be hard to realize (without help and hefty expense).

      Delete
  12. It's always a pleasure to see your incredible garden. The difference between when you moved in and now is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset' is so fantastic. Do you water with sprinklers or drip? Do you fertilize it? It is stunning. The whole garden is stunning. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I use drip in some areas, I use sprinklers there, Rachel. I haven't fertilized the Lotus but I did supplement the soil when I planted 'Amazon Sunset' (almost 2 years ago now).

      Delete
    2. Do recall what you used to supplement the soil? I grow mostly succulents and don't fertilize much, but my soil could probably use some supplementing for the lotus.

      Delete
    3. The soil in that area has been supplemented twice that I recall, Rachel. The first time, after we dug out the backyard lawn, we hauled in topsoil from a local supplier and I added bagged planting mix from a local garden center, combining both with the native soil, which is VERY sandy. I planted the Lotus a couple of years later (May 2016), at which point I added more planting mix. I've also mulched my soil at periodic intervals. In my case, my efforts are generally aimed at improving water retention and decreasing alkalinity. The native soil drains all too well except where its foundation is rock (our site was once a rock quarry) or hardpan. Best wishes with the Lotus!

      Delete
    4. Great information, thank you!

      Delete
  14. I'm a new subscriber so this is my first look at your garden, and the wide shots really helped me understand the layout. Wow. What a joy it must be to look back and see how much you've accomplished. What an irritant it must be to think there is so little space left! I really look forward to seeing more of your plant-packed space in the months to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden is a postage stamp by comparison to your wonderful property, Pat, but thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  15. I always enjoy your wide shots; I should start doing mine again, I lapsed, I'm afraid. Your garden is so beautifully planted and planned, you must be really proud of what you've achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see some new wide shots of your garden, Christina!

      Delete
  16. You can be proud of your beautiful garden. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.