Monday, October 24, 2016

In a Vase on Monday: Similar but not the same

After failing in my plan to create a fall-themed vase resplendent with oranges and reds last week, I powered ahead with that image in mind this week.  As appears to have become my habit, I got carried away with my snipping, ending up with material ample enough to fill 2 vases.  The colors are similar and I used some of the same types of plants in each but I think they still have distinct personalities.

Front view with Grevillea 'Superb' and the berries of Auranticarpa rhombifolia fighting for center stage

The lop-sided back view

I had a heck of a time trying to get a top view of this arrangement and the dark tones of the Leucadendron (top of photo) seem to battle with the brighter tones of the vase's other contents

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase contains: Grevillea 'Superb'; berries of Auranticarpa rhombifolia, which look like miniature pumpkins; berries of a noID Cotoneaster, which planted itself in my garden; Leucadendron salignum 'Chief' in its somber winter colors; Nandina domestica; and orange Zinnias from a  'Profusion' mix


The first vase was overstuffed.  Eliminating the Leucadendron would have given it an airier feel but, once stems are cut, I'm usually loathe to toss them out and I didn't have the patience to build yet another vase.  The second vase is a bit more balanced but it could probably have done with fewer stems too.

This vase features Grevillea 'Ned Kelly' (aka 'Mason's Hybrid'), which unlike 'Superb'  has tones more red than pink

Maybe I should have skipped the Cuphea tucked into the back of the vase but I'd wanted to trim the shrubs back to make them bushier

Top view: molten lava!

Clockwise from the upper right, this vase contains: Grevillea 'Ned Kelly'; Cuphea 'Vermillionaire'; "flowers" of a noID Leucadendron I planted shortly after we moved in (maybe L. 'Blush'); more Nandina domestica foliage; Nandina berries; and 2 early blooms of Papaver nudicaule (aka Iceland poppy) from one of my cutting beds


Although we don't get much in the way of fall color in my area of Southern California, I'm happy that I was at least able to conjure up some of the season's warm tones this week.  Here are the vases in their places:

The first vase in the front entry

The second vase on the dining room table


For more vases, visit Cathy, the host of this weekly "IaVoM" meme, at Rambling in the Garden.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

31 comments:

  1. WOW! Kris I think these may be my favorite ever of your vase creations, both of them are just lovely. The balance and tones of each are just fabulous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the molten lava top view is wonderful, isn't it? The grevillia has such intriguing flowers and those leucadendron leaves are pretty. Don't expect my nandina will produce berries... Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when you stated that you probably won't get berries on your Nandina as ours have some almost year round, Cathy. I guess the difference must be attributable to the frost-free conditions here.

      Delete
  3. I am always drooling over the kinds of plant material you can grow and these vases are both perfect examples of what I mean. The second vase is a wonderful shape and color and really makes the arrangement sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second vase is my personal favorite this week, Linda.

      Delete
  4. I don't think they look too packed, Kris, besides, that's the popular florist style these days, isn't it? :) So many components that I love - the grevillea, leucadendron, nandina foliage and berries (<3) all looking wonderful, particularly in that terrific shell vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That vase may be the best birthday present my husband ever gave me. It's a good thing I was along to pick it out ;)

      Delete
  5. Not to packed at all, just celebrating the fullness of the season. Oh those glorious grevilleas and the leucadendrons...so special. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leucadendron that might be 'Blush' surprised me with a large number of blooms after sitting and doing nothing (beyond surviving) for 5 years, Peter.

      Delete
  6. I think the 2nd one is best--works so well with the vase--they both fan out from each other--very striking effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grevillea 'Ned Kelly' picked up the red of the Leucadendron nicely in that vase I thought.

      Delete
  7. Love the Grevilleas, and (can't believe I am saying this) the Nandinas which were a weed in my former garden.I like the colors in the second vase - and the vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nandinas do self-seed aggressively here too but not many of the seedlings seem to survive our summers so they haven't become a problem (yet).

      Delete
  8. You have captured the feeling of Fall (or autumn as I call it) perfectly Kris - even if your surroundings do not look very Fall like! The colours are perfect, and those zinnias are stunners! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the Zinnias are nearing the end of their season and I made relatively little use of them, Julie. Next year I'm going to plant a larger variety from seed as they do handle the summer heat here.

      Delete
  9. Very cool arrangements. Liking the orange berries and also the vibrant garden picks and vase in your second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these both but I think you nailed it on that second one. The design and balance are wonderful Kris. You picked such nice materials to work with too and definitely found fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I started wandering the garden with my snips I was surprised by how much I found that fit the fall color scheme, Susie.

      Delete
  11. A lovely idea to create some autumn tints but with flowers and berries to catch the season, I love the fullness of your vases and I think that shows the bounty of this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will have to our secret that most of those colors can be found in my garden any time of the year, Christina ;)

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous colours and the density is just perfect for reflecting the abundance of autumn harvesting... those 'pumpkin' berries look good enough to eat! The shape of the second vase is very attractive. Lovely to see that vivid orange poppy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The berries on the Auranticarpa are particularly prolific this year, Cathy, for reasons I can't explain. I've yet to see the birds or squirrels eating any of those berries so I'm not sure I'd trust them!

      Delete
  13. Splendid! I think vase #2 is one of my all-time favorites, Kris! My cuphea is getting leggy too. I blamed it on too much shade from nearby plants, which I'm hacking back; but now I'll think about giving it a good trim as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' has fared better in my garden than the other orange-flowered Cuphea I've tried. My fingers are crossed that it'll just get better with time.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for your interest, Shelley. I'll take a look at your guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with Loree, these are my favorites! Love both of them. They're just on fire. I would have said they are both superb, but that might get confusing. Those yummy Grevillea! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Grevillea 'Ned Kelly' is at its best ever right now, Alison. It doesn't bloom continuously like 'Superb' but it does produce new flushes of bloom with a degree of regularity.

      Delete
  16. I'm definitely sensing a change of season here. But even with your drought look what you have brought forth. Gorgeous as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our nighttime temperatures are dependably cooler (with the odd exception here and there during the peak of a heatwave) but our daytime temperatures are still relatively warm. Even the plants that do offer a little traditional autumn color haven't shown much of that yet.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.