Monday, August 3, 2026

In a Vase on Monday: Unlike me, Dahlias & Zinnias Love the Heat!

Our temperatures are still simmering in the upper 80s to low 90sF (31-33C) and our humidity levels remain high as well.  Spending any time in the garden after 9am is a fools errand, although I admit I've exhibited my share of foolish behavior during the last two weeks.  Even so, my garden's received much less attention than it needs.

This week, it was Dahlia 'Labyrinth' that grabbed my attention.  Although a large number of the blooms were no longer in their prime, there were more than I needed to stuff fill a vase.

This view was intended to be the back of the arrangement but I've given it the front view here as it shows off the beauty of the 'Labyrinth' flowers particularly well

"Back view" of the arrangement showing more dahlias, along with a couple of zinnias.  The zinnia seeds got a very late start this year and, so far, I've been disappointed by the number that germinated given the sheer volume of seeds I sowed, but perhaps they'll surprise me before the season's over.  However, my guess is that the local critters dislodged many of the seeds before they had a chance to get started.

Overhead view

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase contains: Dahlia 'Labyrinth', Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder'. Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum', Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Salmon Rose', and Z. 'Queeny Lemon Peach' (with a hitch-hiking ant I only noticed belatedly)

The arrangement in place in the front entry (with the zinnias were given more attention)


I cut more flowers than I could use in my vase so the leftovers went into a second, smaller vase.  Although dahlias last far longer in the garden than they do in a vase, I can enjoy them more in the house than in the garden at present as there seems to be little chance of relief from the heat in the near term.

The leftovers include Dahlia 'Omega' (rear left), D. 'Honeymoon' (middle), and another D. 'Labyrinth' (right). 

The fillers, in addition to another 'Giant Salmon' Zinnia and more Tanacetum, includes a spray of the peachy-pink Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid', which I discovered in full bloom on a last-minute walk through my back garden yesterday morning.  The Callistemon flowers may conceivably be dried-up and brown by next week. 


Of late, I've been cutting flowers and giving them away in record numbers to friends and neighbors.  That provides it's own source of enjoyment when I'm unable to actually work in the garden itself.

To see what others have found to enjoy in their gardens, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see what she and others have found to brighten their hot summer days.


All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. High humidity is difficult to deal with, a real energy zapper. Your arrangements are lovely, how nice you are sharing your dahlia wealth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've cut larger bouquets of dahlias for others this year than myself, Tracy. Dahlia 'Break Out' in particular has been especially generous with its flowers.

      Delete
  2. The quality of your blooms are superb, and the Dahlias especially good. We are as hot as you, but I think the humidity might be less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had many stretches of 70% humidity. Southern California has long been known for it's "dry" summer heat but it seems that's no longer the case!

      Delete
  3. Large dahlia heads are great for filling vases, aren't they? I can confess to you that not all mine were perfect today either! As always you have managed to find supporting material that complement your blooms and I was interested to see the pink callistemon, which for those not used to it is an unusual colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Cane's Hybrid' Callistemon is unusual and I can never seem able to predict when it's going to bloom!

      Delete
  4. I really love D. 'Labyrinth' and 'Honeymoon' is pretty, too. I seem to favor peachy-salmon colors. :)
    I love the idea of you sharing your floral bounty with others, I'm sure it's very much appreciated. Flowers are meant to be enjoyed! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at least 2 of my neighbors were surprised to find me at the door, in each case with more than a dozen flowers of the giant 'Break Out' Dahlias in hand. My other handouts were somewhat smaller but still large. I may have to go into business soon ;)

      Delete
  5. Lucky neighbors to be on the receiving end of your flowers. I love seeing your artistic bouquets. Your dahlias are perfection. I've only had a few this year. Nice choice to include Callistemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd seen that the Callistemon was in full bloom earlier, I'd probably used it in the main arrangement, Susie. I give it a 50-50 chance it'll be in shape to be used next week - the heat is intense!

      Delete
  6. We are cooling a bit with rain which is a relief. And that dahlia, Labyrinth, is amazing. I am using a Labyrinth dahlia today with a different color scheme. But I do love that peachy, coral color of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen the 'Labyrinth' spin-off you used before but it doesn't surprise me that the growers have bred a cousin from the original's genes, Donna. It's a very popular cultivar.

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy Dahlia Labyrinth and happy its back this year.
    For some reason, I don't remember you adding Callistemon to your vases in the past. It's probably just my memory, maybe the stems got overshadowed in the arrangement. But today, seeing it in the 'overflow vase, I was thinking how lovely it looks (I have a soft spot of Callistemon), and would/could it look good taking center stage in an arrangement.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Callistemon operates on a relatively unpredictable schedule, although it likes heat so an August appearance isn't all that unlikely when I think about it. The plant has also grown much taller than I'd anticipated over the years, which has made it harder to cut for arrangements. In any case, I hope I'll be able to use it in a vase next week ;)

      Delete
  8. That is absolutely gorgeous Kris! I love those colours. The dahlias are simply wonderful. I feel for you with those temperatures. Same here - in fact hotter! Hard to believe that we are having a hotter summer than California! LOL! (Currently 37°C!) Hope you get some respite in between hot days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hottest we've ever gotten living here along the coast was 113F/45C but that was some years ago. However, the humidity we've gotten in recent years has added its own misery quotient to the mix.

      Delete
  9. Dahlia 'Labyrinth' is a doll! I love what you've done with her. We're headed to 95 this afternoon under smoky skies, not the kind of weather you want when a tour group is visiting your garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly isn't an ideal temperature for a garden tour! I hope the day is cooler than anticipated, Loree. Maybe you should hand out popsicles?!

      I heard that there are fires in Washington state. I hope your mom is well out of harm's way.

      Delete
  10. Oh man, I love your dahlia posts every year, you always have such a lovely selection. I'm set on expanding my collection next year, after having finally worked out a good system for storing them over the winter. What are your favorite varieties? Are the two big ones here semi-cactus? That's actually not a shape I've tried yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, last year I had a problem with the dahlia virus and I ended up tossing my entire collection of dahlia tubers at the end of the year. I ordered new tubers by mail well in advance and, this being California, the majority shipped in late March/early April but I still wasn't able to replace all my favorites. However, I did get 'Labyrinth', which is one of my all-time favorites. I also love 'Mikayla Miranda' and 'Enchantress', although neither of those have been prolific bloomers this year (as least so far). 'Creme de Cognac' did well in prior years for me but not so far this year :( - so it can be a crap shoot!

      Delete
  11. Very pretty, as usual. Ants are prolific photobombers.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.