After an all too brief period of temperatures in the mid-80sF (29C), they soared into the mid-90s (35C) last week and appear to be stuck there. I made half-hearted attempts at cleaning up a couple areas of my garden but the heat sent me back into the air-conditioned comfort of the house all too quickly. I did my best just to keep my cutting garden watered on a periodic basis. Still, I managed to fill two vases with flowers that hadn't withered in place.
The first vase contains two dahlia varieties that have been stingy with with their blooms so far this year.
| Back view: what was most incredible was that I'm still getting new stems of foxgloves in this heat! |
| Overhead view |
| Clockwise from the upper left are: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Dahlia 'Enchantress', D. Mikayla Miranda', Digitalis purpurea in white and purple, and Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Purple' |
| The arrangement sitting on the front entry table |
The second arrangement features Dahlia 'Nicholas'. I fell in love with its waterlily-like flowers at first sight but the plant's foliage has presented problems from the outset. Mildew has gradually become an issue for many of my dahlias this year but none are as sad as 'Nicholas'. However, although it hasn't produced a lot of flowers, the mildew hasn't tarnished the flowers themselves.
| The Dahlia's color mellows as its flower ages. I paired it with stems of Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' and Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum'. |
While many of the dahlias appear to be in retreat, the zinnias continue to pop up here and there in small numbers (without any sign of mildew from them as yet!), and one sunflower stalk is now in bloom, awaiting its turn in the limelight.
For more IAVOM creations, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see what she and other contributors have to share this week.
All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party
You'd never know it was that hot looking at your summer flowers. 'Nicholas' is a real beauty! I like the plonked in vase look, it feels like it should carefree nearing the end of August.
ReplyDeleteIt is MISERABLY hot at the moment, although I admit we've seen worse in other years. My brother's area is significantly hotter - he says it's supposed to get over 107F in his area.
DeleteOh how lovely Kris - the pink blooms with the white foxgloves are gorgeous, and the two shades of orange in the second vase are charming too
ReplyDeleteThanks Cathy. It remains to be seen if I'll have any dahlias left by next week. The terrible heat looks like it's going to persist!
DeleteWow I wish I had a bigger cutting garden than a couple of containers. These are amazing. Love them both.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donna. Dahlias and zinnias have made summer much more tolerable for me ;)
DeletePlonking clearly works for you! A technic clearly worth exploring further :-D
ReplyDeleteDahlia 'Mikayla Miranda' is one of my favorites too and I love the calming influence of the fox glove on the riotous pink and magenta.
I can see why you fell in love with Dahlia 'Nicholas': it's wonderful to see the wide range of colors in a single variety.
Finally, I visited a favorite nursery just north of Seattle on Saturday. To my surprise, I had to circle twice to find a parking spot. I found out they hosted an annual Dalia show. Goodness! This was the most astonishing, colorful and amazing display of Dahlias. I thought of you immediately... I wish you could have been there.
Chavli
I'd love to be able to attend a dahlia show but there's nothing like that here that I'm aware of. Denise of 'A Growing Obsession' recently posted her photos of a grower's dahlia crop in Oregon if you're not acquainted with her blog.
DeleteHow well do the foxgloves hold up in the vase? I've never thought of using them as a cut flower - you seem to do it pretty regularly, so it must work out. I'm always impressed that you still have foxgloves in bloom this time of year. Ours are long gone - it's agastache, marigold, and carrot season here. I wish I had gotten my zinnias to grow - I will try again next year!
ReplyDeleteThese foxgloves are holding up a good week on average, which is better than the dahlias, Jerry. I can't account for why they're flowered so late in the season this year though as that's definitely not the norm even for those previously grown in the well-watered raised beds of my cutting garden. They can't cope with the common areas of my garden at all - those areas are too dry - so I no longer bother to plant them there.
DeleteAs always your dahlias are looking gorgeous Kris, despite the high temperatures. We were fortunate in that we had very dry heat rather than a lot of humidity this summer, so mildew has not posed a threat…. yet!
ReplyDeleteI really should've anticipated the mildew problem but it's too late to do much about it now other than cutting off the ugliest of the foliage. Lesson learned (I hope).
DeleteGorgeous! I adore Nicholas.
ReplyDelete'Nicholas' does have really beautiful flowers despite its sad problem with mildew.
DeleteIt's great that 'Nicholas' is like a two-in-one flower, between old and new, its like another variety. Love the pinks, too. I was tempted to order 'Mikayla Miranda' for next year, but swerved at the last minute to another. This is the earliest I've ever ordered dahlias, but last time I ordered in January, many were sold out. Plus an extra 10% off didn't hurt. 👍🏼 Eliza
ReplyDeleteI don't usually order dahlia bulbs until sometime in the last quarter of the year. As I replaced all of last year's tubers due to exposure to the dahlia virus, I went overboard with new purchases last fall but I've yet to decide how many I'll keep and how many new ones I may order. All I can say at this point is that there will be some replacements!
DeleteThat's some pretty classy plonking.
ReplyDeleteIf only the cut dahlias held up as well as zinnias in a vase!
DeleteLove your variety of dahlias this year, Kris. The plonked vase appears to be very thoughtfully plonked. Your Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Purple' is a beauty. Some of mine are Benary type--large and sturdy. Wishing you relief from the heat.
ReplyDeleteThanks Susie. Fingers are crossed that the predictions of slightly cooler temperatures next week will be realized.
DeleteBeauties as always in your respective vases Kris ❤️ I don't think that I would have the energy to crawl out to pick any flowers in such heat Kris but I imagine that the flowers must have welcomed coming inside into an air-conditioned environment. You've certainly done them a favour 😀
ReplyDeleteSome of the dahlias seem to be happier when left with their stems left attached to the plant even when the heat is at its worst, Anna! However, I I can't really enjoy them much when I'm sequestered inside wiyh the blinds closed.
Delete