Friday, February 23, 2018

Winter Visit to The Huntington Gardens

I was lucky to win a one-year membership to The Huntington Library & Gardens in a drawing conducted by Denise at A Growing Obsession back in December but I didn't have an opportunity to activate the membership until this month, when my husband and I visited the gardens to celebrate our anniversary.  As timing goes, it wasn't the best time to visit as it coincided with Huntington's Chinese New Year celebration and the venue was packed with people, but we enjoyed our visit anyway.

The noise and loud music near the entrance was bothering my husband so we dashed through the area relatively quickly but I did manage to snap a few shots.

The Celebration Garden features plants suitable to coastal California's Mediterranean climate

While some elements remain in place, this area seems to be tweaked on a regular basis

Plants spotted as we passed through the California Garden included: Grevillea 'Moonlight' (left), a noID Leucospermum in bloom (middle), and what I assume was Salvia clevelandii or a hybrid (right).  I didn't notice the mass of what appears to be Phylica pubescens in the last photo until I reviewed it.


We headed off in the direction of the Desert Garden, briefly stopping to admire the Palm Garden.

As both my husband and I grew up surrounded by palm trees, we tend to ignore them but they were looking particularly good during this visit

We also admired this mass of what I think was creeping wire vine (Muehlenbeckia axillaris).  I've never seen it used in this fashion and, while I don't generally like artificially pruned plants, I did like this.


The Desert Garden was blissfully quiet, with the buzz of hummingbirds producing the only sounds.

I can't even imagine how many years it took for these plants to form this wonderful composition

Another wonderful composition, this one featuring golden barrel cactus (Echinocactus grusonii) and silvery twin-spined cactus (Mamillaria geminispina)

Two perfect specimens of Agave ovatifolia surrounded by the cacti shown in the prior photo

I think this mass of spiky silver foliage is Puya venusta, although I couldn't find a label

Two attractive small-scale aloes, an Aloe aculeata hybrid on the left and A. virens on the right

Two very different Euphorbias, Euphorbia atropurpurea on the left and E. canariensis on the right

Two noID agaves.  The one on the left has the widest leaves relative to its size I can remember seeing on an agave.  Does anyone know what it is?  The agave on right had produced its classic asparagus-like stalk but hadn't yet begun to flower.


We were somewhere between the Australian and Subtropical Gardens when my husband called my attention to a wildlife visitor.

It was nearly 11am when we spotted this coyote, who was on a fast trot away from another group of human visitors.  That's late in the day to come across these nocturnal predators but perhaps he'd extended his prowl to take in the Chinese New Year celebration.  It is the Year of the Dog after all.


After the brief moment of excitement over the coyote, I snapped a few more photos as we made our way toward the Japanese Garden.

I didn't recognize this tree but its twisted shape was captivating

I snapped the Justicia leonardii on the left because it was one of the most colorful plants in this subdued area of the garden.  I snapped the Plectranthus argentatus on the right because I thought the use of this plant as a low ground cover was interesting.


The Japanese Garden has always been one of my favorite places at the Huntington.  Even through anyone who reads my blog regularly knows that I adore flowers, I also appreciate the quiet restraint of the Japanese Garden.  Created in 1912, it's also one of the oldest segments of the gardens.


We entered the Japanese Garden through its towering bamboo forest

I have mixed feelings about bonsai.  On the one hand, I appreciate the artistry of these creations, but on the other I don't think I could bring myself to torture plants in this way, even if I had the patience.  From left to right, the subjects are a Japanese Black Pine, a Chinese Elm, and a Foemina Juniper.

There were some flowers in bloom!  The azaleas surrounding the pond outside the ceremonial teahouse added a bright spot of color.

More azaleas and a pretty magnolia were in bloom a short distance from the pond

A wide view of the Japanese Garden's central area


We took a break for lunch, merging back into the New Year celebration crowd so I could buy something to eat.  (My husband had packed his lunch.)  Afterwards, we shirted through the rose, herb and Shakespeare gardens.

The rose and herb gardens weren't yet ready to celebrate spring and the Shakespeare Garden was planted mainly with bedding plants but this meadow-like display of foxgloves and grasses was interesting. 


We swung through the Chinese Garden, another of my favorite places, but as expected it was crowded with celebrants so we didn't stay long.

I was surprised to see the dead Lotus flowers still standing proud in the lake but they made an attractive display

Musicians and dancers were entertaining New Year's celebrants in this open air structure


The weather was perfect for our visit even if the gardens were more crowded than we'd have liked.  Unfortunately, the freeway traffic through downtown Los Angeles on our way home was particularly awful due to the closure of a major exit and the trip was made even more nerve-wracking by a near accident when a driver in a lane alongside of us inexplicably slammed on his brakes and spun his pick-up truck nearly 180 degrees, narrowly missing us.  Further proof that Los Angeles freeways aren't for the faint of heart.

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend, full of only good surprises.


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

32 comments:

  1. Lunar New Year weekend is one we carefully avoid. Still, it looks as though you had a good visit. Never have seen a coyote there, but not surprised--they are always around. Kay had a bobcat sighting on her driveway recently.

    So glad the truck did not hit you--yikes!

    Maybe a young A. salmiana var. ferox on the Agave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I wasn't aware the Huntington had a Lunar New Year celebration - I just never imagined it drew that kind of crowd! Re the coyote, coincidentally I spied one in our own back garden the night before (alerted by Pipig at the window with a puffed tail) so maybe they're all out celebrating the Year of the Dog. A bobcat sighting would be more exciting - for me and Pipig.

      I think you're right on the agave ID - thanks!

      Delete
    2. Ha, celebrating the year of the Dog, good one!

      The NWS has 60% chance of showers Monday night--it could happen!!!!

      Delete
    3. Wow. I swear that forecast wasn't there the last time I looked at AccuWeather. I'm going to get outside and start working on my rain dance!

      Delete
  2. You know I would have been hurrying away as fast as possible from the noisy crowds to the quieter spots just like your husband. Sounds like you had a great day there and got some good use out of that gift membership. I understand the idea of bonsai, but they don't appeal to me and like you I don't think I could ever get interested in doing that to a plant. The truck encounter would have scared me witless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truck incident actually did scare me to death - that's not something you want happening in the fast lane. My husband remained calmer than I would have been but I think he was a little freaked too.

      Delete
  3. I always appreciate a Huntington visit, thank you! I can’t believe I haven’t yet seen the not~so-new entrance garden. Hmm, and I suppose I should also admit (or maybe I already have?) that I’ve never seen the Japanese or Chinese gardens. I can’t tear myself away from the othergardens I love so much.

    Sadly my Euphorbia atropurpurea, which was on the edge of death, was pushed over by this last cold snap. I’m so bummed as I really wanted to see it bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Euphorbia atropurpurea I got from Annie's didn't even make it in my garden so don't feel too bad, Loree. You DO need to see other areas of the Huntington!

      Delete
  4. Oh p.s....that truck story! Horror. I’m glad you’re both okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably need these periodic reminders to be extra careful on our freeways...

      Delete
  5. Do not like when there are too many people either.
    The Asian Garden was beautiful!
    Thanks for all your nice comments.
    Best regards
    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Japanese and Chinese Gardens are both wonderful, Mariana. The Huntington is a must visit if you ever get to Southern California.

      Delete
  6. So glad you escaped the freeway mishap unscathed. What a special treat to have access to that glorious garden for a whole year and to visit on your anniversary even better. Love that rill at the entrance way. My memories of this garden revolve around the cactus garden with the aloes in boom in early January. I'm wondering if maybe I missed some of the other areas. I think it demands a return visit. Now if we could just pick some good winter weather unlike our visit to Santa Barbara last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The California/Celebration Garden is among my favorite areas at the Huntington, Jenny. I wish I had space for a rill like that myself. There doesn't look to be much chance of rain anytime soon so you should plan a trip!

      Delete
  7. Even with the traffic, spinning trucks excepted, the Huntington is top of my list for a visit if we ever get out your way. What a fabulous place it is. I have a couple of bonsai trees but I can't say I possess a lot of skill. Or patience. They manage to come back every year in spite of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raising the bonsai trees from tiny saplings has got to take time and attention, Jessica. The little forest versions are the ones that impress me most.

      Delete
  8. That mass of Puya is magnificent. From somewhere in South America?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I identified it properly, that Puya hails from Chile.

      Delete
  9. I adore a lovely rill and this one is certainly that! I had never really seen one until last June on the garden tour in the Cotswolds. I have the wire vine here, growing against two different cement foundation area. Glorious and lovely most of the year, but right now all brown and scraggly and ugly!
    It is a wonder there are not even more accidents on the freeways, isn't it? We all zip along and just have to trust that others are as careful and attentive as we are; it's very scary out there, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get out from under that spell of cold weather soon to enjoy the new foliage spring brings, Libby! The accident was all the more scary because there wasn't any apparent reason for the truck driver to pound onto his brakes (unless perhaps he decided that his last minute decision to enter the express lane without prior payment of the toll was going to yield him a hefty ticket).

      Delete
  10. Oh gosh, I'm glad you avoided that accident! I remember the craziness of the L.A. freeways from the summer I lived out there long ago. I would do everything I could to avoid driving on them! Thanks for this tour of the Huntington Gardens. Many of the plants are similar to those I saw in Balboa Park's gardens during our trip out there a couple of years ago. I have a post ready to go within the next few days on the Balboa Park Desert Garden--that's an awesome place, too. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I look forward to your post on Balboa Park.

      Delete
  11. I love Huntington Gardens - they do such a wonderful job. Now that you have free entrance for a year, I hope we'll see periodic posts through the seasons. :)
    Glad you escaped the close call with the truck. The freeways are bad enough without an accident.
    Not sure if your coyotes are similarly timed, but our females are in heat, so there's a lot of noise and action out there. That may explain your recent sightings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coyote mating season here too but an 11am sighting is still unusual. Maybe the New Year's celebrants chased him out of his den.

      Delete
  12. Whew, that freeway is terrifying. Glad you are safe. Despite the crowds it looks like a lovely day at the Huntington. I enjoyed it immensely when my daughter took us several years ago, especially the Japanese Garden. We didn't have time to make it to the Desert Garden (had to get back home before that freeway traffic picked up), so I'm glad to see your photos and descriptions. Can't even imagine how it would be to work among those thorny plants, but they're impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can allot more time on your next visit, Susie. It takes several hours just for a cursory tour of the gardens and, if you want to see the galleries and other exhibits too, you need at least a solid day to cover the Huntington.

      Delete
  13. Oh I will add this garden to a list of spots to visit when I get back to CA for a longer visit....beautiful! Glad I don't have to drive your freeways....hard enough to just be a passenger in a car driving on them...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a metro line (or a helicopter!) to take me to the Huntington, Donna. I admit I hate the traffic through the downtown corridor, even though I worked downtown for 8 years.

      Delete
  14. I've never seen the Huntington Gardens in person (hopefully someday.) but throughly enjoyed seeing this cool place through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be in heaven, Peter! It's probably the premier public garden in the Los Angeles area.

      Delete
  15. This is the third time I've looked at this post, and I realize I never left a comment. As you can imagine, I thoroughly enjoyed coming along on your visit. I don't think I'll ever have enough of the Huntington. There's so much to see!!!! The only way it could be even better is if they had a plant shop. Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A plant shop would be wonderful but they do have plant sales. You need to time your next visit properly, Gerhard! ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.