Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Wednesday Vignette: Sunset & smog effects

We haven't had many vivid sunsets of late but, when I looked out my office window just after sundown on Sunday night, the sky was looking decidedly pink.  Although the Los Angeles County fires were nearing containment at that point, I thought maybe residual dust and particulates in the air might intensify the color show as I'd heard that smog creates great sunsets.  I grabbed my camera and took photos of the clouds from different vantage points.

This was the view looking roughly southeast toward Angel's Gate, the entrance to the Los Angeles Harbor

This is a wider view looking approximately northeast

And this photo, taken from the front driveway, looks west


Does smog, something Los Angeles has in abundance even without the contribution of massive wildfires, actually intensify sunsets?  The answer seems to depend on which source you consult.  National Geographic says that dust and air pollution only mutes a sunset's colors.  Scientific American, on the other hand, contends that smog simply alters the colors.  Believe what you'd like, the colors captured by my camera were especially pretty.

The news last night was also pretty incredible.  I was prepared to be let down by the results of yesterday's special election back east but my faith in the integrity of American voters just got a major boost.  Dare we hope that the days when truth can be drowned out by cries of "fake news" are ending?  I don't know but the political horizon looks rosier to me this morning.



For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2017 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


14 comments:

  1. Speaking here from Alabama, with great relief at the outcome of our election. Unfortunately, I think it was more of an anti-Moore vote rather than a harbinger of things to come, but I'd sure love to be proved wrong! You certainly had a spectacular sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no illusions that Alabama is going to do a 180-degree turn, Barbara! I'm just comforted to know that people are willing to budge from party lines when the need presents itself. I'm registered as non-partisan myself and my husband is a registered Republican but neither of us has ever felt tethered to one party - we make our judgments by balancing the issues on hand.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm right there with you, Kris - issues over party. Hoping for the best in the year to come!

      Delete
    3. As the saying goes, hope springs eternal, Barbara!

      Delete
  2. Yes, thank goodness that Moore lost! I'm disgusted that the election was even close though. TBH, I have felt sick ever since last November.

    That sunset was absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really tried to keep an open mind on last November's election results, sweetbay, but I'm afraid the new administration lost the goodwill I'd been willing to offer even prior to the inauguration and things have only gotten worse.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, that sunset sky is spectacular! Here's to hoping our country is beginning to wake up and heal. And also hoping the California wildfires are starting to lose strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Thomas Fire is now 25% contained, which is actually major progress. Let's hope it's a symbol for progress on other fronts, Beth!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There's still a long road ahead to bridge the divides between people and I'm sure there will be some long dark tunnels to pass through but I'm feeling better that maybe there's not a train headed straight toward us.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Now, if we can only contain that horrible Thomas Fire! Status is 30% this morning, which is progress but there's also another red flag warning today.

      Delete
  6. That pink and purple sky in your photos is so pretty, too bad it's probably caused by all the particulate matter. I've been heartened by the election news too, although Moore hasn't actually conceded yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that a recount is required only if the margin is less than half a percent, which wasn't true in this case.
      Although any candidate can request a recount in the event of a larger margin, the requester must pay the cost out of his own pocket. The fact that the Senate and even 45 have acknowledged the victory seems to make a concession speech beside the point.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.