Monday, August 21, 2017

In a Vase on Monday: Breaking News

We're interrupting our regular "In a Vase on Monday" coverage for a special update.  Despite prior media reports suggesting that the split between Blue Eustoma and Dahlia 'Loverboy' was permanent, it appears the parties have ended their estrangement as abruptly as it began.  They were spotted on Sunday afternoon, cozying up together in a vase.   Surrounded by old friends, it seemed they had eyes only for one another.  Is the reconciliation permanent?  Who knows.  These celebrity pairings are notoriously volatile but we wish them well.

They stood, side by side, as equal partners

Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy', once rumored to have had a relationship with 'Loverboy', was hanging around nearby but keeping her distance

With a tight circle around them, they weren't giving any interviews

Clockwise from the left, the group included: blue Eustoma grandiflorum, Dahlia 'Loverboy', Abelia x grandiflora 'Edward Goucher, Aster x frikartii 'Monch', Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy', Ocimum hybrid 'African Blue Basil', and Prunus laurocerasus


In other news, there's another Dahlia in town.  'Punkin Spice' made a long-awaited appearance on stage last week.  We weren't sure he had any friends in town but he had no trouble assembling a posse.  In fact, the crush surrounding him bordered on becoming overwhelming.

He was mobbed by a variety of bright characters

Leonotis Leonurus, used to being in the spotlight, was unexpectedly shoved into the background, almost lost from view

An aerial view of the mob scene

Dahlia 'Punkin Spice' is in the center.  Surrounding him, clockwise from the upper left are: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Coprosma repens 'Evening Glow', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder', various unidentified Zinnias, and Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun'


Almost lost among this flurry of news, last week also saw the return of one of the coolest customers around, Celadon Green Eustoma, Blue's cousin.  Not seen since last summer, she crept into town for what looks to be a very short stay.  She took a tumble soon after her arrival and is keeping a low profile, hanging out with some equally cool friends who don't eclipse her.

The only unexpected member of the company was the intriguing Lotus jacobaeus

This group kept things light

But they sparkled

Clockwise from the left, the group included: pale green Eustoma grandiflorum, Abelia 'Hopley's Variegated', Catananche caerulea (seedpods), silvery Leucadendron 'Pisa', and exotic Lotus jacobaeus


Speaking of eclipses*, I hope everyone in the US enjoys today's solar eclipse.  Los Angeles will experience only a partial eclipse (0.69 magnitude), peaking at 10:21am.  Despite all the hype, we failed to pick up protective eyewear before the shelves were bare so my husband fashioned a pinhole viewer.  We're as ready as we can be but don't expect any photos.



For a view of more vases, visit our "In a Vase on Monday" Host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



*Yes, that transition was a stretch.


All material © 2012-2017 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us abreast of the celebrity drama in your garden. Your Monday society page is a great way to start the week! So glad that Loverboy and Blue Eustoma have reconciled as they make such a great couple. Is Punkin Spice one of the former Spice Girls post surgery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Punkin Spice' hasn't revealed his backstory yet, Peter, but it may have to be covered by another media outlet. I think I'm getting out of the celebrity gossip business.

      Delete
  2. Well they certainly look cosy but is it all for show and publicity? I think they just want all the attention. My attention was drawn to Celadon Green - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that could be the case, Alison! I love that green Eustoma. I haven't seen it offered locally, which is too bad. This bloom was provided by what appears to be the sole survivor of the 6 plugs I received by mail order last year as part of a mix.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that Miss Blue Eustoma and Loverboy are together again! but Something tells me that this Drama isn't over yet...Gomphrena seems to be scheming something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Gomphrena has lots of admirers. I don't think she'll be lonely!

      Delete
  4. Nothing like the drama of SoCal! :) Loving all the players here today, each with their own appeal. The touch of dark lotus with the creamy/white arrangement was inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the Lotus isn't holding up well in a vase. Maybe she'll toughen up as she matures.

      Delete
  5. What a fun post! I predict Loverboy and Blue Eustoma will split again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly they're just be preparing for a "conscious uncoupling," Alison?

      Delete
  6. Inspired, once again!

    I adore your Zinneas and was hoping for a name of the orangey/coral ones. Darn it! Also that Celadon Green Eustoma mash up is heavenly, I love everything you've done there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that peachy-coral Zinnia too, Loree, but it grew from a seed mix so I can't ID it. I'm not even sure which of the mixes I used in that area. I adore that green Eustoma and wish I could get plugs for it locally.

      Delete
  7. All lovely, and I enjoyed the gossip column about your garden. I will have to say my fave was the cool elegance of the white and green vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more of those pale green Eustoma to feature in future vases, Anna, but it appears that I have just one survivor out of the batch I planted last year.

      Delete
  8. I'm laughing! :) Your vases are wonderful, and I especially love those 'bright characters' mobbing the dahlia, as well as the cool Eustoma! Hope you could see the eclipse Kris. We had one in 1999 and it was a memorable day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, our marine layer remained in place into the late morning so clouds obscured even the partial eclipse visible in Southern California, Cathy. I did get to see the moon's progress through my husband's pin-hole viewer but the TV coverage was definitely better!

      Delete
  9. Another tree great vases with a fun back story to hold everyone's interest! Your Dahlias look huge but still fit well with your choice of accompanying flowers. I hope you enjoyed the Eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eclipse was a bit of a bust in this location due to clouds, Christina, but it was still fun to take part in something that captivated the entire nation (in a positive way for once!).

      Delete
  10. I couldn't believe as I was scrolling down the page just how many vases you brought together for eclipse day. And all in honor of the sun. My favorite was the Eustoma/lotus party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cutting garden has been a major boon in providing summer flowers, Jenny. Most years, I'd be constructing vases out of succulents around about now.

      Delete
  11. Love your write up of the goings on in your garden. Your vases are a tribute....

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used a pinhole in a paper cup that worked pretty well and then for more fun, a colander. Wish we'd gotten glasses. I love the way you draped the aster at the top of the first vase. Your Eustoma is beautiful--the green one is unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green Eustoma seems greener than it was last year but the plants themselves don't appear to be as hardy as some of the cultivars in other colors. Actually, all the Eustomas seem to be struggling a bit this year, which surprises me as I'd have thought our winter rains would have given them a boost.

      Delete
  13. I love the last one best, all the greens, cool and soothing on a summer day.

    I must be the only one in the US who had zero interest in the eclipse. Dear Husband observed it through a 5.25"x5.25" floppy disc--the iron particle coating on the plastic disk itself (after you remove the cover) is apparently an ideal solar filter. (Of course he had some old floppies around.)

    Total, I would have been out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floppy discs - I hadn't heard that one! (I'm sure we have some kicking around still too.) I didn't have high expectations myself (hence the failure to purchase protective eyewear) but all the hype got me pulled in.

      Delete
  14. Good to see and hear the ongoing saga...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the end of the saga (probably), Cathy.

      Delete
  15. Really love that pairing (Loverboy and Eustoma) this second time around! Combining strong primary colors has always been tricky for me, but you've certainly done it well. Any pointers on keeping dahlias through a hot summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias seem to like the heat here, Amy, but then your heat and mine are different things. Since June, our summer has been relatively mild, with temperatures running in the upper 80s at most. I've continued to give them lots of water. Perhaps a little afternoon shade would help in your climate?

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.