Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Wednesday Vignette: Grasshopper Ghost

Cruising through my garden one recent morning, I caught sight of what I thought was a mysterious new luminescent bug hiding within the leaves of Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt'.  Upon closer inspection, it appeared transparent and had a shape disturbingly like that of a grasshopper.

Was this the ghost of a grasshopper?


The photo is admittedly not that sharp but then when have you seen a photo of a ghost that was?

This husk left by a molting grasshopper is my Wednesday Vignette.  To see other interesting images, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was perfect. I tried to shift it around a little to improve the photograph but I was afraid too much manhandling would destroy it.

      Delete
  2. Very cool find! I guess he/she has outgrown his/her last set of clothes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the down side is that a bigger - and probably hungrier - grasshopper is pillaging my garden.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - wonder how it retained its shape so well... You'd figure that once the grasshopper has left, the remaining shell would be shredded. Nature is so amazing... Thank you for this - it was a first for me. I didn't even know that grasshoppers molt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that grasshoppers molt either but then I realized that was a more likely possibility than a ghost grasshopper.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Luck and the stark color contrast with the Acacia deserve the credit.

      Delete
  5. Interesting! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo, so cool! I've found a few bug husks out in the garden, but never a ghostly white one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. What's most frightening is the thought that I now have a bigger grasshopper chomping the the plants in my garden!

      Delete
  8. Amazing, isn't nature incredible? I can see exactly why you thought it looked like a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the husks of other molting insects but I can't remember any like this one.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.