Monday, September 26, 2016

In a Vase on Monday: Eustoma grandiflorum keeps on giving

For a couple of weeks it seemed as though fall had arrived, ahead of schedule no less.  But a high pressure system moved in over the weekend, bringing the notorious Santa Ana winds in tow, and our temperatures zoomed back up to summertime levels.  Even though summer is intent to go out kicking and screaming, there are still signs that fall has arrived.  Nighttime temperatures are significantly cooler and the cruise ships are back in the harbor.

While cruise ships operate year-round out of Long Beach (visible in the distance), the ships visit nearby San Pedro only during the fall and winter months


However, as the high temperatures are expected to extend through the early part of the week, cutting flowers for "In a Vase on Monday," the meme hosted by Cathy of Rambling in the Garden, became something of a rescue operation.  This week I'm more likely to regret what I didn't cut to fill a vase than anything I did cut.  The flowers of Eustoma grandiflorum (Lisianthus), which has been mounting a come-back, were among the first to get snipped.

I picked this as the front view but either side of this vase could serve as the focal point

The back view has its own personality

Top view


There are a few stems of the blue-flowered Eustoma in bloom but I thought they would overpower this vase so I left them in the garden and will hope for the best.  I stuck with softer colors:

Clockwise from the left, this vase contains: pale yellow Eustoma grandiflorum, Achillea 'Moon Dust', Erigeron glaucus 'Wayne Roderick', Hebe 'Purple Shamrock', Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Silver Magic', Verbena bonariensis, and white Zinnia 'Profusion'


The last Eustoma I planted in June are finally coming on.  Sold as Lisianthus 'Cherry Sorbet', they're a dark, moody pink.

I think the flowers of Eustoma grandiflorum 'Cherry Sorbet' look more like roses than any other variety of Lisianthus

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the left, this vase contains: Eustoma grandiflorum 'Cherry Sorbet', Abelia x grandiflora, Gomphrena globosa 'Fireworks', Hebe 'Wiri Blush', flowers of a noID ivy (which the bees LOVE), Pennisetum 'Fireworks', and Pentas 'Kaleidoscope Appleblossom'


A few stems of the pale pink Eustoma also made a comeback but, after clipping them, I decided they didn't do anything for my second arrangement so I put them in a small vase on the bedroom mantle.

Pale pink Eustoma grandiflorum 'Mariachi Pink' with dark pink Zinnias


The first vase landed on the dining room table.



And the dark pink arrangement sits on the table in the front entry.



For more Monday vases, pay Cathy a visit.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the pink arrangement and am amazed (as always) by the variety of flowers you can grow there. You've reminded me I need to find some Verbena bonariensis seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Verbena is a relatively new addition. I tried growing it in a very dry area of the garden years ago but it did poorly and, amazingly, also didn't self-seed as it's known for doing. I hope my 2 new plants do better in my back border.

      Delete
  2. I love all your pretty pairings and couldn't possibly say which one I like best! Long live eustoma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just dug up some of the spent pink forms and put them in pots in an effort to restore their former vigor before I try moving them to another area of the garden. Hopefully, this will extend their lifetimes. Even here, they're short-lived perennials.

      Delete
  3. I love your eustoma, as usual they make your arrangements extra special. I particularly love the delicate colour scheme of your first one and the pittospermum foliage sets it off perfectly. I have E. Wayne Roderick too but I have never picked it. Does it last well in a vase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, it appears that the Erigeron doesn't do well in a vase. Some blooms are already fading.

      Delete
  4. 'Cherry Sorbet' does look like rose. I like the rich color. The pale yellow eustoma in the first vase with the purple is a great combination. Must be fun and exciting to have your waterfront views. Hope the temps moderate soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be the hottest days of the current heatwave. We peaked at 102F today, saw an electrical line come down in the neighborhood leading to a fire, and experienced a power outage. Hopefully, that's the worst of it!

      Delete
  5. Hot winds are always bad, luckily we only usually have them in summer but this year the wind was from the north so cooler. The Estoma are wonderful as usual, I so wish I could buy plants here; I manages to produce three from seed but they are small very small plants, I hope they will survive the winter in the green house so that they flower next year, I'll also try some more of the seed that is left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hat's off to you on getting the Eustoma seeds to germinate and safeguarding the plants through their infancy, Christina. I hope they survive their teenage period in your greenhouse to become mature, blooming plants.

      Delete
  6. Two splendid vases, Kris - your Eustoma is always fabulous! And I love the combination of Pennisetum and Gomprhena - wonderful textures together! I hope your temperatures and winds settle down quickly. I can't help remembering your vase that was blown off and broken! :( Glad they caught the fire fast and you have power again - not a time to be without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power goes out with such surprising frequency here that we purchased a portable generator. Unfortunately, it provides only partial power and isn't robust enough to run the AC.

      Delete
  7. So gorgeous, Kris. My favorite is the pink one. Love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink arrangement seems the more durable too, Eliza.

      Delete
  8. Well done and full of wondrous flowers as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. almost 40C, I remember that in Porterville. Hope gentle autumn weather is on its way and your garden can sigh with relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cooler today than the past 2 days but still hot enough to have the air conditioning running all day. The heat is supposed to trail off by the weekend.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful vases again Kris. I especially love the last one - simple and striking. The pennisetum looks great with the pink Eustoma, and I love that white zinnia in the first vase, which is quite stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those white Zinnias are the only ones in my cutting beds that did well this year - they're still going strong too.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.