Monday, August 29, 2016

In a Vase on Monday: Red Hot!

I'm surprised that we're almost through August and I haven't had to resort to succulents to fill a vase on Monday.  Maybe it's a sign that my garden is finally maturing.  My inspiration for this week's vase was the sight of Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' backlit by the morning sun.



I cut 2 stems and was off and running with a red theme.  I didn't grow much of anything with red foliage or flowers in my old garden, feeling that the color would overwhelm the tiny space, but it fits my current larger, sunnier garden better and it's slowly crept in here and there.  I added touches of coral to the arrangement in an effort to prevent it from becoming too heavy.

In this view, the mid-section looks as though it could have used a little more lightening up

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase contains: Leucadendron 'Blush' and L. 'Safari Sunset'; Abelia 'Kaleidoscope'; Agonis flexuosa 'Nana'; Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', Lantana camara 'Irene', and Agastache 'Kudos Mandarin'; Grevillea 'Superb'; and Pennisetum 'Fireworks'


At the other extreme of the color spectrum, I noticed that I had 2 new blooms on the green Eustoma grandiflorum so I cut those too.  Calling the flowers green is a bit of a stretch as only the base of the flower can really be considered green but I like them anyway.  Unlike the Leucadendron in the first arrangement the green Lisianthus called for companions in soft colors.

Front view highlighting the barely green Eustoma

Pink Eustoma dominated the back view

Top view

Clockwise from the left, the vase contains: green Eustoma grandiflorum, pink Eustoma, Achillea 'Moondust', Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold', and 'Electric Lime' Plectranthus scutellarioides  (commonly known as coleus and formerly classified as Solenostemon scutellarioides)


The first arrangement sits inside on the dining room table but I also took a photo of it on the outside patio table where the sun did a good job of setting the Leucadendron aglow.

Front and side views of the arrangement on the dining room table

Backlighting the arrangement gives it an entirely different personality


The more demure arrangement sits in the front entry.



Visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see what she and other gardeners have used in their vases this week.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. Lovely as always, Kris. The backlighting certainly makes the red arrangement come alive beautifully. If I lived there, leucadendron would certainly have a place in my garden. Don't be so hard on the poor green eustoma, it is trying really hard to please with its green throat and soft green blush! ;) Putting it with green foliage does help bring out the green in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The petals of the "green" Eustoma look remarkably like the pale yellow and ivory forms but, you're right that the right accent plants help bring the pale green out.

      Delete
  2. Look at you creating a show stopping dramatic arrangement as well as a demure beauty. I like them both. Calm in the entry and fireworks at the dining table. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors again. The subdued second one is as soothing as much as the first red combo is energizing. And I actually did a vase today too, finally organized enough (for one day, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your red vase! The Leucadendrons do look great this time of year.

      Delete
  4. I agree the backlighting outside is wonderful. Oh how I would love a Leucadendron like yours. I love the eustoma arrangement too. Both of them are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leucadendrons would probably be permanent greenhouse residents in your climate, wouldn't they?

      Delete
  5. So. I have bought a tiny Pennisetum 'Fireworks' (less to lose). On the advice of the grower I shall overwinter it in the greenhouse then pot it up in Spring and plonk it in the border still in the pot. In autumn it will rise again and go back to the greenhouse. Might work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That red arrangement is spectacular, especially in the outdoor setting. Really like the Leucadendron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been loathe to cut my Leucadendrons in the past but the older specimens seem to take light trimming in stride and some get so tall that trimming has become a necessity.

      Delete
  7. Oh you have been busy with these three beauties - I especially like the 'green' lisianthus, buthen again I like to see lisianthus whatever the colour! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to see if the green Lisianthus is as hearty as the pink varieties in surviving year-to-year, Cathy. I was disappointed to find that the blue varieties aren't as hardy but then siting may also be an issue.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. That backlighting really does make a difference!

      Delete
  9. You have very special flowers in your garden, Kris!Great vases, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photo of your red arrangement outside really is gorgeous Kris and like you say, completely different to the effect indoors. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leucadendrons really make good use of sunlight, Cathy!

      Delete
  11. I love the "from above" view of both of these. Too bad you don't have a sweeping staircase where you could regularly see them from that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, after years of living in a 2-story house, we're now in a single-story house. It's better for my crappy right knee, if not for viewing floral arrangements.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.