Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wednesday Vignette: King of the World!

While dashing into the backyard in connection with garden chores this past weekend, I caught sight of something out the corner of my eye.  Quickly collecting my camera, I got a photo of this fellow:

A western fence lizard playing king of the world, owning everything he surveyed from his perch atop Graptosedum 'California Sunset' in a pot of assorted succulents


I slowly moved in closer for a better shot.

He sees me but all I get is a disdainful stare

He ignores me, after all I'm just the caretaker


Oops!  Too close for comfort.  The king beat a less than graceful retreat, of which I got a fuzzy photo.

It's a good shot of the Graptosedum, though


I offer this as my Wednesday Vignette.  The Wednesday Vignette meme is hosted by Anna of Flutter & Hum.  You can find other interesting images on Anna's site here.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots, Kris! You always have such great critter portraits! His supreme demeanor reminds me of my cat. As in "I SO don't have time for you!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I interpreted the look more along the lines of "If I ignore here maybe she'll go away"!

      Delete
  2. Nice little creature, and backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe how many lizards there are here. I can't walk 2 feet without coming across one but this one did pose nicely - most just skitter away.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures!
    Tulip bulbs do want hot and dry, but it might get too hot in your flower beds.
    Have a nice day
    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the tulips need a touch of cold we can't give them (except by placing the bulbs in a refrigerator to mimic winter conditions) and the hot, dry winds tend to wither the buds.

      Delete
  4. Cute little critter. Love the color on your succulents. When seeing them looking that vibrant, I wish I had a sunnier garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no shortage of sun here, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Happy to find your blog, today.The lizard suits the colorful succulents! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks very similar but not quite the same as the lizards that are prolific in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lizards vary a bit in color here. As they get older they turn a darker brown, although I suppose they shed their skin periodically during their lives. I know they can regrow their tails as I've seen a few mid-way through the process.

      Delete
  7. Doesn' t he look splendid posing on your succulents just waiting for a photo opportunity? What amazing wildlife you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I noticed him precisely because he looked so proud of himself.

      Delete
  8. That succulent bowl is so colorful! I would love to be king (or queen) of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple succulent (which I always forget the name of but which I think is a Senecio) started out a fairly uniform green but acquired its lovely purple color with increased sun exposure.

      Delete
  9. Your succulents are such incredible colors! That's one patient lizard, I hardly get a glimpse before they disappear under the nearest rock or shrub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the lizards do scoot as soon as I approach but maybe he thought he was camouflaged by the succulents, or that if he didn't move I wouldn't notice him.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.