Monday, February 2, 2015

In a Vase on Monday: Side A or Side B?

So this week I got out a pair of surgical gloves and cut some of the Primula obconica that gave me a rash when I planted it.  It has very pretty flowers, if also short stems, which necessitated use of my relatively short cut glass vase.

Side A

Side B


The way this vase is arranged, there is no obvious front or back so, like the vinyl records of old, I've labeled one Side A and the other Side B.  Which would you select to face visitors entering the front door?

Here's what's included in the vase:
  • Anemone coronaria 'Mona Lisa Deep Blue' (visible on both sides)
  • Erysimum linifolium 'Variegatum' (visible on both sides)
  • Hebe 'Patty's Purple' (visible mainly on Side B)
  • Primula obconica - lavender and purple varieties (lavender visible on Side A, purple on Side B)
  • Salvia clevelandii 'Allen Chickering' (visible mainly on Side B)
  • Solanum xanti 'Mountain Pride' (visible only on Side A)


The beautiful blue Anemone coronaria

Erysimum linifolium, just coming into bloom

Hebe 'Patty's Purple,' with its first blooms of the new year

The lavender and white form of Primula obconica with Solanum xanti peeking overhead

The purple form of Primula obconica with Salvia clevelandii on the right



So what do you say?  The vase is currently sitting in the entry way with Side A facing out.  Should I turn it around?



A few additional flowers went into a still smaller "experimental" vase (as Julie at gardeningjules has called my arrangements of leftover flowers).  The colors and flower shapes didn't quite fit in with the main vase.



This vase contains:
  • Ageratum houstonianum 'Blue Horizon'
  • Cyclamen (unidentified white variety)
  • Globularia x indubia

The Globularia is an acquired taste - at least it was for me.  I bought it for the foliage and wasn't at all sure I liked the flowers when the plant first bloomed.  They start out looking rather like blue eyeballs, but I've grown to appreciate them.

Globularia x indubia, aka Globe Daisy


This vase ended up in the guest bathroom.



And, last but not least, this week I have a third vase, courtesy of my sister-in-law, who brought me a dozen beautiful roses in my favorite color when she stayed with us at the end of last week.  They didn't come from my own garden but they certainly deserve notice.  Thanks P!





This is my contribution to Cathy's weekly meme at Rambling in the Garden.  If you have a vase to share, join the fun and post a link on Cathy's blog.


All material © 2012-2015 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

29 comments:

  1. Both sides are stunning Kris, but I like the weight of side B best, maybe you can find somewhere to put it that you can see both sides? The second vase is lovely too, I rather like the Globularia, but I suppose the flowers are more open now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the Primula's rash-giving effect, I wanted the vase tucked aside where casual contact is unlikely - maybe I'll just turn the vase around occasionally. The eyeball-look of the Globularia flowers is more evident in bud than in full-bloom, although I still think "hairy eyeball" when I look at it.

      Delete
  2. Blue eyeballs? That makes me laugh. How does this look in the garden? Rangy? Or tight? Side B, for sure, because it has the heavier, darker flower in the center and gets lighter gradually toward the outside. With the dark flower at the top, it looks lop-sided about to fall over. That's a huge flower for Anemone coronaria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Globularia has a nice compact form in the garden, Jane - it's not at all rangy.

      Delete
  3. Oh Kris I am just in awe of these colors....I adore purple so much so this had me swooning. If I have to pick I would choose Side A for now as it reminds me of spring. I need some color as we are being slammed with another huge snowstorm.

    And the experimental vase is also stunning especially the Globe Daisies...of course the roses put me over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wondered how you'd possibly manage a vase this Monday, Donna, when I heard how miserable the weather is in the northeast. I hope you safe and warm inside.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful as always, Kris! Your flowers are nice too:) I love the brooding purple of side B but side A is very cheerful! Too bad you can't see both sides in your entry. Side A = happy to see you & B = sorry you have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a side A gal myself, but I'd probably rotate it each day just to please all comers (and goers!). Love that globularia - looks a bit like a pincushion to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see if I can substitute the pincushion image for the furry eyeball image in my mind, Deb - it's less sinister.

      Delete
  6. Those yellow roses are sun in a vase :)

    Clever mix this week, a two faced arrangement. I'll go for side A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those roses are spectacular - I've never seen rose foliage so clean and all the roses were perfect.

      Delete
  7. Yes, A for me too - and how I love that shade of blue! I don't have enough of that colour in the garden. I like the eyeballs too :) Thanks for sharing both your vases - it is fascinating to see the range of different things people have in their vases on a Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is a broad range among the vases, Cathy. People have taken your encouragement to think outside the box very seriously. I love it. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  8. A lovely dose of spring this week Kris - I love the colour combination. I am always intrigued by the different flowers you have, but it was nice to see a few I recognise this week. We are planning a holiday in California this year so I am looking forward to seeing some of these new flowers in the flesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the weather is good when you visit Julie! We got heatwaves as early as May last year.

      Delete
  9. It must be so nice to be a visitor to your home and see a beautiful vase in the entry every week! I would also opt for side A, and then the other side is a lovely surprise with the deepe purple of the primula. I love those colours, and I love that Erysimum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when not in blooms, Cathy, that Erysimum has proven very useful in creating vases, not to speak of the sparkle it adds to my garden borders.

      Delete
  10. You always have beautiful flowers but I have to say I am smitten with your frog. And I really enjoyed the wide shots of your garden. I need to remember to always do a wider context shot and not just floral close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that ceramic frog for decades and I'm rather smitten with it too Linda.

      Delete
  11. Wow, this is just gorgeous! Side A wins for me, but it's nice to have options. I too laughed at the blue eyeball comment, then went right to researching if Globularia x indubia is hardy here in Zone 8, sadly no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In bud, the flowers DO look like beady little blue eyes - too bad it can't keep lookout on the raccoons for me!

      Delete
  12. It's a tough question, but I go with side A because of that little touch of orange in the eye of the Solanum. Maybe it should go on a table where it can be seen from all sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally, yes, but touching the foliage gives me a rash and, in the interest of safeguarding any unsuspecting visitors from similar break-outs, I decided to keep it out of areas where contact was possible, which limited my placement options.

      Delete
  13. That's such a well-balanced arrangement, how could anyone choose...? I love the combined hues of the primula, and you almost have me convinced I should find a spot for some solanum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, Amy, that Solanum counters the common argument that native plants are messy-looking.

      Delete
  14. So nice bouquet!
    I'll paint a picture of your beautiful Anemone, quite the right color to my painting.
    If it works well, I'll show it to you.
    best regards
    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what you come up with Mariana!

      Delete
  15. What beautiful bouquets! Fwiw I liked side B the best. :) I love your purple flowers. Deep blue-toned purple is my favorite color. Globe daisy looks fantastic with your ageratum.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.