Monday, October 13, 2014

In a Vase on Monday: There's Always Something

Since the start of summer, I've wondered every week what I can possibly come up with to include in a vase for the post linked to the "In a Vase on Monday" meme hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  For the last 2 weeks I featured bright red-orange-coral hues and I didn't want to do that again even though Grevillea 'Superb' is overachieving in the bloom department at the moment.  And, while the cooler temperatures have prompted a few Camellia sasanqua to bloom, there weren't enough to make a splash.  However, the Plectranthus ciliatus 'Zulu Warrior' by the back door has flowers aplenty so it was the obvious choice, even though I had no clue what to combine with it.  But, strolling through the garden turned up all the elements this simple bouquet needed.

Front view

Back view (I can't explain why I didn't trim that one sky-high Salvia stem before I started taking pictures except to say I had no more time to fuss)



In addition to the Plectranthus, I included:

  • Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold,' aka Breath of Heaven
  • Pentas lanceolata 'Kaleidoscope Appleblossom'
  • Salvia leucantha, aka Mexican bush sage


I grow Plectranthus 'Zulu Warrior' mainly for the foliage but, in fall, the flowers offer an added bonus

I also grow Coleonema 'Sunset Gold' mainly for the foliage but it does produce tiny pink flowers and the scent, when you run your hand along the foliage, is indeed heavenly

Pentas 'Kaleidoscope Appleblossom' has suddenly produced a healthy flush of bloom, although the flowers are somewhat smaller than they were earlier in the year

I added Salvia leucantha to accentuate the purplish tones of the Plectanthus



The flowers sit on the dining room table in a vase I think I picked up during my college days.




Please visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see her creation this week.  A lot of other gardeners are joining in to flaunt their flora so, if you have a vase created from materials in your garden, link up!


All material © 2012-2014 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

23 comments:

  1. Oh don't they work well, Kris - the way they splay out like that, and the lovely colours. Isn't it exciting not knowing what we are going to pick sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up where you live/garden since most of your plants are not familiar to me. That's always a sign of very different zones! I love the lush fullness of your bouquet and I most definitely love the photo of you as a little girl. Oh, the days when we dressed up for special occasions. I still wear Mary Jane shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother claims that I still make a face like the one shown in the picture of my 5 year old self, Linda. And I still remember that dress!

      Delete
  3. Very lovely mix of fresh green and colour. Love the vase too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vase is one of my favorites, Cathy. As I remember I got it cheap from a glassblower exhibiting at one of my college's regular craft fairs - now, blown glass like that costs a fortune (which is probably why I have so few vases).

      Delete
  4. Kris this is stunning...I love how it flops and flows with the flowers and foliage...and I love that vase. All that purple reminds me of spring lilacs and wisteria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely arrangement but especially liking the sprays of Coleonema foliage in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful plant - and it's both drought tolerant and scented too!

      Delete
  6. Your arrangements are always stunning and it is always a treat to see flowers that don' t grow here. The Pentas is so pretty and I have never seen the Plectranthus before. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foliage of the Plectranthus is as pretty as the flowers, Chloris, although it gets a little seedy when the energy of the plant is diverted to produce flowers. The dark emerald leaf tops are quilted and the leaf bottoms and stems are a purplish burgundy. The foliage has an attractive scent too.

      Delete
  7. Hi Kris, my internet is slow today, so I am only able to see your photos on my iPhone, but they look beautiful, love the colour combinations, what a lovely vase you have used too. Your plants are not familiar to me, its a treat to see what you have over there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to connect Julie. Our growing conditions are quite different, aren't they? I'm trying to wean myself of the garden dreams based on all those English garden books on my shelves to settle on plants that can actually survive in this climate.

      Delete
  8. This is so nice. I love the strong purple/green combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! Purple and green is one of my favorite color combinations. I still remember a dress I had in those colors as a child...

      Delete
  9. This might just be one of my favorites Kris, well done! (so have you cut that one renegade salvia spike?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, no, I haven't cut it. It bothered me more in the photos than does in person.

      Delete
  10. You design the nicest bouquets but that is because you grow the loveliest plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I'm afraid it's slim pickings at the moment.

      Delete
  11. You may have wondered what you were going to find but in the end you've created a very different arrangement than those before. The subtle colours seem almost spring-like rather than autumnal, a lovely addition to your beautiful dining room table.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.