Monday, April 21, 2014

In a Vase on Monday: Iris and Friends

I'm joining Cathy at Rambling in the Garden again this week for her meme featuring a bouquet constructed from materials on hand in the garden.  This week, an Iris, one of the first to bloom for me this season, is the central focus.  I have no record of its name but I recall now that I picked it up a few years ago at the South Coast Spring Garden Show.  Coincidentally, this year's show will be held this weekend, which may be what prompted my memory of the Iris' origin.




An Iris this beautiful doesn't want to be upstaged in a vase.

My unidentified Iris germanica in close-up


I selected her partners carefully.  In the photo above, you can see stems of Hebe 'Wiri Blush,' which mirrors the pinkish purple of the falls on the Iris.  Although it's not readily visible in the photo, the Hebe's stem, as well as the underside of its leaves, picks up the same purplish hue.


Hebe "Wiri Blush,' photographed in the garden is just coming into bloom but it's pretty even without flowers



The other ingredients in the bouquet take a backseat in the composition.  They include:


  • Argyranthemum frutescens 'Comet Pink'
  • Brizia media (aka quaking grass)
  • Cuphea x ignea 'Starfire Pink'
  • Schinus mollis (California pepper tree) branchlets, currently sporting their spring flowers



Close-up of Brizia media stems with the Cuphea and Argyranthemum in the background 

Close up of Schinus molle branchlets sporting spring flowers and buds



I have no "rejects" for a second vase this week.  I considered using a few stems of the purplish pink Alstroemeria, still plentiful in my garden but I didn't think the Iris would be pleased with the competition so I left them where they're growing.

Please visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see her floral creation this week.  You'll also find links to other gardeners' compositions.  If you have a vase of flowers sitting beside you, why not join Cathy and share your creation?



16 comments:

  1. How beautiful. Your Iris is sumptuous. I wonder what its name is. The Cuphea and Brizia are so dainty for for an arrangement like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that maybe I'll find the same Iris when I visit this year's garden show this weekend so I can put a name to her pretty face.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful bouquet!
    The iris is like a prima donna, very beautiful.
    Best regards
    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally a natural at this Kris, love the rich colour combo, layering, unique combination of flowers and foliage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't give the floral designers a run for their money but I appreciate the compliment!

      Delete
  4. The brizia is a gorgeous addition to this and the iris is a brilliant centrepiece - as Mark and Gaz say you are a natural at this but it gives us novices lots of food for thought, as well as encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brizia's purplish elements surprised me, although they're more noticeable in the camera view than to the naked eye. Thanks for hosting the bouquet-fest, Cathy!

      Delete
  5. Lovely arrangement with interesting components. Your Iris is certainly deserving to be the star though. I'm looking forward to iris season. susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the arrival of the Irises too, Susie. I only have a few of the "fancy" varieties but even the simpler ones are pretty.

      Delete
  6. Your unknown Iris is stunning! the other flowers you added are perfect, echoing the colour but not upstaging the star of the show. I like the almost lipstick pink of the Cuphea. I must look into those, they would be a perfect addition to the crimson zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Cuphea became one of my "go to" plants, Christina. It blooms continuously, takes hard pruning well, and tolerates everything from full sun to light shade.

      Delete
  7. You picked perfect companions for your fabulous iris. Gorgeous composition! I want to plant cuphea in my own garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had good luck with most Cuphea here, Deb, but that one's particularly impressive.

      Delete
  8. I am 100% behind anything that causes people to cut things from their garden and put them in a vase. You've got the knack, I wish everyone did. Before anything goes in my green waste bin it's first evaluated for vase potential. So many things which might be overlooked really do work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to need a little push to go to the trouble of putting together a vase of plant material, Loree - usually, it's just something I do when visitors are expected but this meme (and spring!) has given me the push I needed to make the effort.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.